Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I saw Nintendo announce a new 3DS model, the New 3DS they call it, or the LL, or something to that nature. Features more buttons, colored buttons, a second analog stick (more of a nub that looks like it's uncomfortable), etc. Apparently there will be games specific to it as well, that will not work on the regular 3DS/2DS models we have currently.

I don't see myself replacing my 3DS XL for some time. I have such a backlog of games still, but am curious to see what others think.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333

I'm guessing you could copy the stuff onto the new one? I know you can do that with existing ones.

The more I read about it, it sounds good. I just think that second analog stick is weird where it is, not to mention the size. The 3D effect is allegedly improved, which I am glad to see. For me, the 3D was only used generally on first party titles as it seemed to work better with my eyes on those.

The ZR and ZL buttons seem like they would be difficult to access though without hitting the shoulders.

Improved processing power is nice, but that will further distance this from our existing models faster I think.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm still rocking my DSi, so I think a new 3DS might be what makes me finally upgrade. I've probably got all I could get out of it. I was actually considering getting a current 3DS, but it looks like I'll hold off and wait as there will be newer games that are new-3DS exclusive.

I like the SNES color scheme for the buttons. In terms of looks, I don't mind the second analog stick. Just have to wait and see how it works in function.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I like the SNES color scheme for the buttons. In terms of looks, I don't mind the second analog stick. Just have to wait and see how it works in function.

Definitely agree on the colored buttons -- I like that little touch.

My issue with that stick (and who knows, it could just be premature considering I obviously haven't handled it yet) is that it looks uncomfortable to reach, along with those extra 2 buttons on the top.

I originally had a DS Lite and returned it because I found it uncomfortable -- it really cramped my hands within 10 minutes, just like the GBA SP. The 3DS XL is probably my favorite system I've ever owned because I like to just play for a few minutes, and close it to resume later. I like that feature because it's basically always ready to resume.

It looks like Japan will have the new system first, with a later US release.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Rather excited to have that hundred hour epic (Xenoblade Chronicles) on a handheld - will be importing this 3DS (still torn between LL and regular) in October to upgrade my Japan system already own MH4 to try out the dual sticks.

A solid upgrade from every possible angle I could see them doing for a mid update release. The regular 3DS is getting a huge upgrade as the original wasn't the best piece of hardware with lots of silly quirks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Welp, probably should stop trying to sell mine then. Hahaha.

I don't care for the new buttons, but it's nice that they've been working on perfecting the 3D and screen. One could hope that the battery usage is better.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
It looks great, but does this mean current 3DS owners will need to upgrade for future releases? Or will games like Xenoblade Chronicles be the exception?

I mainly brought my 3DS XL for Pokemon anyway so I guess for me it's not a big deal.

Still a potentially alienating move from Nintendo though.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm more of a PSP and Vita man for my handheld gaming, but my brother has a 3DS and I'm quite well acquainted with the system.

I find the placement of the analogue 'nub' a bit weird - seems like it would be a stretch to reach, though I obviously haven't held it myself.

The name seems like the biggest problem to me - it's like Apple's 'the new iPad' all over again. If some games aren't going to be compatible with the old 3DS/XL models, would Nintendo have been better off delaying the launch until next year and introducing it as a complete 3DS-successor?

I can foresee problems with people buying games for their few-month old 3DS (effectively 'new' to them) and realising they don't work with their system...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Apparently the US won't get it until next year. They're also going to have us buy new SD cards since they've switched to MicroSD. So how are we going to transfer our existing game data then? Hahaha, it just gets better and better!

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Apparently the US won't get it until next year. They're also going to have us buy new SD cards since they've switched to MicroSD. So how are we going to transfer our existing game data then? Hahaha, it just gets better and better!

Shouldn't be difficult, same way you'd do it now, just copy it all to computer first. I was surprised to see that change though.

----------

What I really think this move is about, is replacing the standard Wii U gamepad.

I will say I don't like how big the gamepad is. But I don't think they'd do this. They'd alienate everyone that already has a Wii U. Maybe just add ability to use it like PS3 did with the PSP or Vita (whichever one it was)?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep Nintendo needed to sort out / update a new console - just a shame its wasn't the 3DS that's the problem ...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Got mine preordered from PlayAsia - I believe that initial batch is sold out - got a White 3DS - curious when the faceplates will show up for preorder

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Definitely getting one! Came at a wrong for me though. I had a launch 3DS but traded that in for an XL. Recently after playing games like Pokemon and Fire Emblem I was wanting a small screen again, and I read that the UK Blue and Red models were getting rare. Snatched one up on eBay (so I've got 2 3DS's now). This new one will be my 3rd :eek:.

As a console modder (with appearance, not pirating!) those custom faceplates are going to make my hobby much easier!

I imagine it's as simple as using a card reader to copy the data over onto a PC first. The transfer process is really easy on 3DS's. It's all done wirelessly but any images on the card must be transferred manually to the new one. At least that's all I think it needs. So you might not even need a computer to help transfer between cards.

Sounds nice, but what about my game saves?

Sent over in the transfer process. The old system is cloned over perfectly. Games, Ambassador Status (if you have it), shop account, saves, settings. The old system gets formatted.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The nub looks rubbish. I could be completely wrong. But why not just put a full slider on?

Coloured buttons are awesome though.

Apparently it works. I personally wouldn't consider it a replacement for an analogue stick, but as a tertiary input method it might have a place (like moving the camera around in a game, rather than "push the right analogue stick down to activate the switch!").

Although it looks like it'd be easy to press the XY buttons whilst using it. Something other controllers can't do with their second stick.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
The thing witht the hardware-power and the exclusive games is stupid. Why not wait another 1-1,5 years and just release a completely new device? The current device is 3 years old.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The thing witht the hardware-power and the exclusive games is stupid. Why not wait another 1-1,5 years and just release a completely new device? The current device is 3 years old.

I'm willing to bet the number of hardware exclusive games will be low. It's just like the DS and DSi, except DSi exclusive titles (Cave Story etc) being released on cartridge too. Even the current 3DS is good for another 3 years. Consoles usually last between 5-8 years after all. With the current 3DS being as popular as it is there isn't a huge call to get a true successor out.

I think with some exclusives aside the big difference will be that the New 3DS runs more games with stereoscopic 3D, with that disabled for older 3DS owners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.