Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Safari will gain a series of AI-powered features and UI enhancements in iOS 18, AppleInsider reports.

safari-icon-blue-banner.jpeg

Safari will apparently receive a range of visual tweaks alongside several new tools to improve the browsing experience, including:

• An "Intelligent Search" browser assistant tool that leverages Apple's on-device AI technology to identify key topics and phrases on webpages for summarization purposes.
  • A "Web Eraser" tool that allows users to remove unwanted portions of webpages easily. Erasure is persistent, remaining even when revisiting a site unless changes are reverted.
  • A new, quick-access menu emerging from the address bar that consolidates page tools, bringing over some functions that currently sit in the Share Sheet and placing them alongside the new tools.

The iPadOS and macOS versions of Safari are also expected to align further. These new features are purportedly undergoing evaluation alongside internal builds of iOS 18 and macOS 15 ahead of their unveiling at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) in June. Earlier this month, backend code on Apple's servers suggested that a new Safari browsing assistant is in the works, corroborating this report.

Farther in the future, Apple is said to be working on a more powerful version of Visual Look Up that allows users to obtain information on products when browsing through images. The feature is expected to be released sometime in 2025.

Last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that iOS 18 will "overhaul" many of Apple's built-in apps, including Notes, Mail, Photos, and Fitness. Apple's next-generation operating systems are almost certain to be previewed during Apple's WWDC keynote on June 10, and the updates should be widely released in the fall.

Article Link: New AI Features Reportedly Coming to Safari in iOS 18

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Some will be as always iPhone 16 only? 😂
Well, iOS 18 presentation is in June. iPhone 16 presentation is in September. So… my guess is that I’ll be mostly available to A14 devices and up.

But yeah, they will probably save one or two attractive features for the A18/M4 hardware.

mysticmanix

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
When will they add scrolling screenshots system wide? This is a feature that is on Samsung Galaxies since forever that I wish was on IPhones

Reactions: klasma

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I have been thinking, and it doesn’t occur to me how could this work, or with what purpose.
"Hey Apple Intelligence, please remove content not related to Macs and MacOS from MacRumors and alert me when new content has been published."

"Hey Mean Girls, let's get everyone to block Sally Sunshine's content with Web Eraser."

What could possibly go wrong if you give users the ability to hit the mute switch on ideas and topics that are not in their echo chamber.

Unless the feature is purely tied to advertising and tracking, it could become extremely counterproductive to society.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I hope "AI" doesn't mean more "suggestions" ... we're already plagued with that across all apps.
I’m worried that it means more biased interventions in what I’m searching. Google is great for finding hidden pieces of information on the internet. But if I just want to get any sort of raw data on a topic that has any political ramifications whatsoever, I have to use a different search engine. I don’t want this “feature” expanded in any way, shape, or form.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
"Hey Apple Intelligence, please remove content not related to Macs and MacOS from MacRumors and alert me when new content has been published."

"Hey Mean Girls, let's get everyone to block Sally Sunshine's content with Web Eraser."

What could possibly go wrong if you give users the ability to hit the mute switch on ideas and topics that are not in their echo chamber.

Unless the feature is purely tied to advertising and tracking, it could become extremely counterproductive to society.
That is the default now, except I have no control over it.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.