Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has today introduced its second-generation Echo Buds with a 21 percent smaller design and enhanced active noise cancellation.

amazon-echo-buds-2nd-gen-white.jpg

The second-generation Echo Buds introduce a white color option, and it is difficult to see past the clear design cues that Amazon has taken from the AirPods Pro's charging case, which looks almost exactly the same with an elongated design, a single centered LED, and a long groove to open the lid.

Much like the AirPods Pro, the Echo Buds now feature a vented design to reduce ear pressure. There are also other comfort improvements that have been made possible by reducing the size of each individual bud, such as a shortened in-ear tip and reduced external height for a more flush fit.

Noise cancellation is said to be twice as good as the previous model and the buds now feature an AirPods Pro-style sound passthrough mode. Sound quality has also been improved with extended dynamic range and increased bass and treble fidelity. The microphones are also improved for better call quality.

The second-gen Echo Buds are rated IPX4 for water and sweat resistance, and the earbuds can deliver five hours of listening with noise cancellation enabled, with two additional full charges in the case for a total of 15 hours. Like the original Echo Buds, the second-generation model comes with Alexa built-in.

amazon-echo-buds-2nd-gen-black.jpg

The Echo Buds come with four sizes of oval-shaped ear tips and optional wing tips in two sizes for a more secure fit.

The second-generation Echo Buds are priced at $119.99 with the standard USB-C charging case, or $139.99 with the wireless charging case, undercutting the $249 price of AirPods Pro considerably. They will go on sale on May 13 and will be discounted for a limited time to $99.99 and $119.99.

Article Link: New Amazon Echo Buds Take on AirPods Pro With Improved Design and Better Noise Cancellation

Last edited:

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
What is the appeal of those gummy things inside the ear other than sealing external sound?

I hate them, they are so uncomfortable, that's why I think the basic AirPods design is the best and I hope they continue to exist or any evolution do not have the silicone tips.

Last edited:

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
What is the appeal of those gummy things inside the ear other than sealing external sound?

I hate them, they are so uncomfortable, that's why I think the basic AirPods design is the best and I hope they continue to exist or any evolution do not have the silicone tips.

Realistically they are intended to seal your ears better which can improve sound quality and also decrease likelihood of the buds shifting around.

The AirPods are alright but for my own ears they can fall out if I move too much. The AirPod pros improve upon this but they also have tips

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA

I hate them, they are so uncomfortable, that's why I think the basic AirPods are the best design and I hope they continue to exist.
Yes, they’re there for noise isolation so the cancelation performance is more effective. Better isolation also probably reduces the power consumption that would be required to cancel the added bypass noise leakage.

Don‘t like them? Don’t buy them. not complicated. The original design that you have to jam in your ear is more uncomfortable to me. The old design is actually painful

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

Fitment options, which is better than the Airpods "one size fits all (but they might not stay in your ears)".

Airpods won't stay in my ears and offer zero seal from outside noise. Airpods Pro are a much better fit but mine were faulty so I didn't keep them.

Last edited:

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Again, literally every tech company in the world completely copies Apple in everything.

Man the same can be said about Apple copying other companies in tech trends, I would even argue it is the opposite: Apple is often the last one to arrive to the party on many things, copying/building on other companies' first attempts.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Interesting to see more and more headphones from different companies with voice enable services. Wireless headphones are high quality enough and mainstream enough now.

Maybe we'll see some eye wear next ;)

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I tempted to try these but I suspect the ANC won't be world-beating so need to continue holding out for the Sony WF-1000XM4 to replace my WF-1000XM3.

I'm been very happy with the ANC on the WF-1000XM3 which is equal to the newer Bose Quietcomfort earbuds. Also, they sound better to me than the Bose and Airpods Pro for Hip-Hop and Drum & Bass = more bass. I know Sony won't disappoint.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Man the same can be said about Apple copying other companies in tech trends, I would even argue it is the opposite: Apple is often the last one to arrive to the party on many things, copying/building on other companies' first attempts.
I agree they're often last to arrive to the table. But as soon as they do, every product that comes out after looks strikingly like Apple's design.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
For $100 I may have to give these a shot.
I agree. I love my wired headphones but my iPhone 7 (and all newer) does not have a headphone jack. Therefore, I must use bluetooth headphones with my iPhone (unless I want that darn dongle). These would be a great price point for my rare use of headphones with my iPhone (vacations and plane rides only) and I don't want to bring my large (but awesome) Sony bluetooth headphones.

Plus I get 30 days to try them out unlike Apple's 14 day period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.