Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I'm after a bit of help.. What're the probable changes to the new ACDs? I've found a 20" model for a pretty good price, and I'm just wondering if there's anything that I'll be really missing out on by getting this version.. I'd imagine I'll be getting this one or buying one once the new ones are out (lower price) but I'd like to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
do apple's displays have a glossy option? if not I see glossy options for all models.

For those who hate glossy I said OPTION so meaning it will all be an option

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I'm after a bit of help.. What're the probable changes to the new ACDs? I've found a 20" model for a pretty good price, and I'm just wondering if there's anything that I'll be really missing out on by getting this version.. I'd imagine I'll be getting this one or buying one once the new ones are out (lower price) but I'd like to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

The only thing I'd hope for would be more inputs and HDCP. So perhaps DVI, Component and HDMI w/ audio breakout port. This has been all that's held me off of picking up an ACD, I went for a Dell 6 weeks ago instead.... which, knowing my luck, means the Apple updates will be here soon :(

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
With Apple evidently convincing the television studios that HDCP is not necessary for their HD content, that kind of takes away the need for new ACDs at the moment.

Yes, if the movie studios still demand it, it means no HD movie rentals/purchases, but Apple might be hoping that this initial test will be enough to convince the movie studio's iTunes DRM is sufficient for movies, as well.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Just yesterday, I saw that the Best Buy was clearancing out the ACD 23" models for $600, unfortunately they sold out and they had 2 floor models left for $540. I'm gonna say that the new ACDs will be out at MWSF.

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Germany
Maybe Apple will even introduce real Cinema displays that are made for watching movies and TV and can replace a standard TV set.

Maybe that's the reason the Apple TV is not called iTV. Maybe they reserved the name for their TV sets with integrated display (just as iMacs have an integrated display) ;)

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Beyond being the worst mockup and mock ad ever, it's just totally wrong.

And as was said, thin can kiss my @$$. Give me features and make it professional. The consumers can buy the thousands of other displays that inundate the market.

SJ's obsession with thin is what's creating a lot of the issues I'm having with Apple lately.
Example, if the Macbook were just a little thicker you could "stack" 2 USB ports, leaving room for Firewire. Use a DVI connector, or even a full size DisplayPort.
He'd rather cut a few millimetres in thickness and in the process make the notebook less functional.
Can such a fixation on thinness indicate a possible mental disorder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.