Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Or they could leave it the way it is and not make it LED yet.

Exactly. I don't see Apple effecting some price breakthrough with 30" LED displays, but I do see them leaving the 30" fluorescent for the time being the way they did with the 17" MBP.

timniclas

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
The need for orientation

I take it you're unfamiliar with the phrase " beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

That's a nice touch calling people blind or morons who don't possess your aesthetic superiority. :rolleyes:

I know it's undeniably a harsh, provocative and politically incorrect comment with the lovely advantage to make my point very clear.

Don't you feel the need for a strong, orientation providing opinion in the desert of relativity fom time to time? ;)

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
so you want an HDMI port to connect your computer's display with the device apple released to allow you to watch the content of your computer whilst not sat at your computer!? I don't even know where to start with that comment!

so I'm still waiting for someone to explain why the need for HDMI? (HDCP can be done over DVI).

HDMI is a pretty cheap cable option, additionally, if apple did monitors with built in speakers, with multiple hdmi inputs, don't care if they also have dvi/hdcp, then your other devices like cable/sat/DVR, Blu-Ray players and more will work on your apple Monitor.

instead of offering this, apple is the snail, they are dragging their heels on blu-ray and comparable technology.

20050607-snail.jpg

oddsocks

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
How come the difference in screen sizes between tv's and monitors? For example the the Apple Cinema comes in 23 and 30 where as tv's are more 24 and 32? Think it's about time that your telly and monitor become one. Can't be doing with buying a new version of both.

With Apple TV would be nice if Apple made there displays more tv friendly e.g. you can watch telly on it? In an ideal world would like the new monitor to be able to connect sky box and ps3 ect. Then the iphone would be the remote!

Then they could bring out the Imac TV:apple: Blue ray. (As long as you could take the stand off and have it wall mounted)

I'm off to the Apple shop with a tool box, electrics for dummies and a hammer to create the future...

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
its good news that they are finally updating them, however my 23" ACD bought in Spring has been the best monitor I have ever used, and I'm not too sure how any of the updates that people are proposing could really benefit me. As it stands my monitor is big, of fantastic build quality (with no dead pixels or backlight bleeding), it uses technology that has been continually refined for years, and is overall marvelous to work on and it matches my mac pro.

I paid £530 for it and got applecare for free, so i know that its good for the next three years at least. I do not think that for the quality of the display it is too overpriced, especially when I compare it to my samsung sm19" which has broken after only 9 months, and never looked anywhere near as good in the first place!

ajn946

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Good stuff, I hope I can sell my current macpro and 2x30's for a good price on Ebay to make way for a fully decked out 09 model :)

I also would really like a >30' acd. This would be fantastic.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There cinema displays and macpro deff need a redesign

No they don't. Maybe the monitors, but definitely not the Mac Pro.

If you really think the Mac Pro needs one, why, and what would Apple be adding or what are they missing that doesn't give the pros what they need?

How come the difference in screen sizes between tv's and monitors? For example the the Apple Cinema comes in 23 and 30 where as tv's are more 24 and 32?

Completely different technology for the innards for many of the hi end monitors and TVs. As well as the lower resolutions to support for the TVs.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
... multiple hdmi inputs, don't care if they also have dvi/hdcp, then your other devices like cable/sat/DVR, Blu-Ray players and more will work on your apple Monitor....

so what you what are more inputs. So what would you gain from having multiple HDMI inputs instead of multiple DVI inputs?! you can connect *any* HDMI device to a DVI port via a wonderful little HDMI-DVI cable. This includes devices like cable/sat/DVR, Blu-Ray players and more... HDCP works fine over DVI.

you would then just need to sort the audio out with some speakers.

HDMI - High definition **MULTIMEDIA** interface is not needed on a device that deals with just ONE type of media - in this case video. Unless I'm horribly wrong and then will someone please enlighten me!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
They are not going to eliminate the 30" lol. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger one. All they would need to do is make a 20" and 24" LED and wait a little longer for the 30" or larger till it is economically feasible. It's that simple!
I've heard of a 30" ultra-high-resolution display with 3840·2400 resolution. Apple would wait for resolution independence before adopting that (and every other high-resolution notebook panel :rolleyes:).

beast

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Led???? -----> Oled :d

super thin, super bright, super expensive....... that sounds pretty normal for an apple product :D

PrismaticRealms

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
Whitby, ON, Canada
Built in iSight is a waste of money and resources.
The new iSight HD could easily be housed in an iPod shuffle style of clip so that we can market to PCs with a PC version of iChat.

I agree. I'd rather have a separate iSight rather than a fixed one. I think the fixed iSight concept works well on a laptop, but not necessarily on a monitor. It would need to be somewhat mobile or adjustable in some way, methinks.

atvbballrob

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I personally dont think the display needs much of external redesign. Despite having a 4 year old design, it is still the best looking monitor to date. In addition, the Mac Pro certainly does not need a redesign. It is a professional looking monster built for performance.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I've heard of a 30" ultra-high-resolution display with 3840·2400 resolution. Apple would wait for resolution independence before adopting that (and every other high-resolution notebook panel :rolleyes:).

Wow, seriously, that is some wicked high resolution.

I better eat my carrots

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I'm just thinking... says Apple releases ultra high resolution displays... and lets say they work perfect w/ resolution independent OS X... where does that leave all other OS? Would everything just get tiny as hell when you boot into Windows? :p

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm just thinking... says Apple releases ultra high resolution displays... and lets say they work perfect w/ resolution independent OS X... where does that leave all other OS? Would everything just get tiny as hell when you boot into Windows? :p
That's what you get for using Windows. :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
... where does that leave all other OS? Would everything just get tiny as hell when you boot into Windows? :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence

"The Windows Presentation Foundation from Microsoft, and consequently, WPF applications, are also designed to be resolution-independent, which means that Windows Vista also supports resolution independence"​

The combination of WPF for new apps and improved native scaling makes Vista pretty good - not completely resolution independent, but you can do a decent job of stretching things. (I've set up Vista with 46" LCD displays for demos - you need to scale everything up quite a bit for all screen info to be easily readable from 4m away.)

knelto

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
I'm not sure if someone's pointed this out or if it's even newsworthy, but check out refurb display prices! :eek:

PS There's some awesome deals on a lot of Macs too!

Attachments

• cinema deal.jpg
    cinema deal.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 121

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
yes it is. the after market price is only relatively high because of the imagined value these have among mac geeks. But their quality is low compared to others in that range (Spectre is not there), not to mention price: ACDs are priced 3x they should be.

Okay, show me an IPS WUXGA panel that goes for $300.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm not sure if someone's pointed this out or if it's even newsworthy, but check out refurb display prices! :eek:

PS There's some awesome deals on a lot of Macs too!

That's the only way to buy to tell the truth. If I ever had to buy a new Mac with my own cash it'd be refurbished all the way. Even when compared to the current prices, the refurbed displays are a great deal. Getting $100 - $150 off is never bad.

Okay, show me an IPS WUXGA panel that goes for $300.

Don't try to reason with them. That poster won't be back since they will be looking online for panels that don't exist. Anyone that says an IPS panel can be had for $300 is fooling themselves and living in a fantasy world.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
That's the only way to buy to tell the truth. If I ever had to buy a new Mac with my own cash it'd be refurbished all the way. Even when compared to the current prices, the refurbed displays are a great deal. Getting $100 - $150 off is never bad.
Stop giving away the best secrets! ;)
Now when I see 'SOLD OUT', I know who to blame. :p

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
I personally dont think the display needs much of external redesign. Despite having a 4 year old design, it is still the best looking monitor to date. In addition, the Mac Pro certainly does not need a redesign. It is a professional looking monster built for performance.

I agree, I think the ACD line and Mac Pro look incredible, even 4 years later.

On a side note, I just ordered another 30" last night. This new info doesn't really make me feel remorseful for purchasing another 30" ACD. I think the current ACD is great, the LED will obviously be better/brighter, but it probably won't be very much of an upgrade over the current monitors. I don't use my ACD's for anything except computer work so extra connections are useless to me.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Sure would be great to see a price drop between now and then. ;)

MORE like now or never. I would like to upgrade to the 30" but no one wants to pay 2k or 1700 with student discount even though it may be worth it. I would like to see if the new ones have a built in isight HD. Would be nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.