Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Readers interested in new Apple Cinema Displays may have to wait just a bit longer.

Apple has not significantly updated their Cinema Displays in years. Apple currently offers 20", 23" and 30" monitors at $599, $899, and $1799, respectively. While Apple has introduced routine price drops and minor spec improvements, the displays have remained largely unchanged since June 2004.

MacRumors has heard that Apple is prepping for Cinema Display refreshes for the Macworld San Francisco 2009 conference which takes place between January 5th-9th, 2009 at the Moscone Center. The new Cinema Displays are expected to incorporate LED backlights to fulfill Steve Jobs' promise that Apple would completely eliminate flourescent-backlit displays. The transition timeframe depended on "how fast the industry [could] transition to LED backlighting for larger displays."

While LED displays as large as 30" are commercially available, they still appear to be cost prohibitive with Samsung's 30" LED display priced at $4735. We're uncertain how this price discrepancy with Apple's current displays will be reconciled.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sorry. corrected the LCD/LED/Backlight terminology.

arn

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
While LED displays as large as 30" are commercially available, they still appear to be cost prohibitive with Samsung's 30" LED display priced at $4735. We're uncertain how this price discrepancy with Apple's current displays will be reconciled.

Article Link

well, one way to "reconcile" with the exorbitant price of 30 inch LED screen would be ELIMINATING it.

New Apple Cinema Display. Completely LED!

20inch and 24 inch available for $299 and $599 each.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
It's about time! Apple's displays, although nice, just seem a bit outdated and overpriced now comapred to what else is on the market - a refresh is definitely well overdue. LED would of course be nice, as would HDMI and/or DisplayPort. :cool: Let's hope Apple really wows us with the new displays!

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
These things are way overdue for an update. I suppose integrated iSight cameras will be included.

I just bought the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac for my current Cinema Display that I've owned since August 2004.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
they had better have blue ray or no one will even consider it:rolleyes:

Blu-Ray is an optical disc and has absolutely nothing to do with Cinema Displays.

If you wanna be nit-picky about it, the new Cinema Displays would have to support HDCP to play a Blu-Ray, but first we need Mac support for HDCP.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Blu-Ray is an optical disc and has absolutely nothing to do with Cinema Displays.

If you wanna be nit-picky about it, the new Cinema Displays would have to support HDCP to play a Blu-Ray, but first we need Mac support for HDCP.

he was clearly joking lol

tr0jan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
damn.. i was going to buy one tomorrow.. im waiting now for about a year and now this news.. hm i think i will wait till MWSF :D

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

I think that is what the poster is saying, Blu-Ray in Macs with nice displays to compliment the Blu-Ray.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
well, one way to "reconcile" with the exorbitant price of 30 inch LED screen would be ELIMINATING it.

Or not.

Some of us do not want to take a hit in productivity which losing that size choice would be.

I guess there is always Dell and HP screens though.

One reason why I would be interested is the heat reduction. LED screens are cooler no? My screens give off so much heat you would think they sat out in the sun all day.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
New Cinema Displays are still likely to be luxury items for most Mac users. Chances are that Apple will have competitors with similar offerings at slightly lower prices, and it will be nice for those in the market for large displays to have that choice.

Quite true Q, Apple has never been at the lower price point with repsect to its competition in the display market - they will definitely be charging a premium over similar offerings. Regardless, competition is always a good thing.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Dang, finally! What were those guys thinking? Nothing since 2004, has caused me to depend on my Sony Bravia 32" LCD (1080i) and ditch my 2002 ACD. It must return to bedroom wall or my clothes are on the front lawn, again...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.