Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Fabio_gsilva said:
I'll follow you really soon...

Man, despite all that always was said about Apple and the need for just one button mouse, they really twist the established foundations and starts a new revolution!

Oh Man... It's very good to have joined Mac Side of the Force!!
With the famous 1984 Macintosh advert being very Big Brother like, does anyone else think that apple have taken a u-turn and become like Big Brother themselves? They seem to be adopting a policy of doublethink these days. "You don't need two buttons", so everyone agrees, then they bring out a two button mouse and say it will make you more productive, essentially saying you need a two button mouse and everyone agrees. Same with the Intel processors and the MHz myth.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Mr. trouble never hangs around,
When he hears this Mighty sound,

Here I come to save the day!

That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right,
Mighty Mouse will join the fight!

On the sea or on the land,
He's got the situation well in hand!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
hansen said:
I can't believe Apple uses the entire front page of their web site to promote a stupid mouse with features that are just so standard and basic on any mouse and hype it like it's 1999.

Any of you have a 3rd gen iPod with 4 touch sensitive buttons on top. They look good but are just plain annoying to use. Sound is added only to not make it completely useless as the iPod is not responding in the instance you press a button. Without the sound you have no cue if you pressed the button or not. Adding sound to the mouse is just to make an inferior technology (usabilitywise) barely usable.

You don't get it, right? The mouse buttons are NOT touch sensitive, you CLICK and sensors beneath the surface just decide on left or right click according to where on the surface you clicked.

A mouse that can be configured as a classic one button mouse OR as a multi button mouse. A 360 degree scroll ball. Please show me the dozens of other mice that have these "standard and basic" features... :rolleyes:

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Well, while wireless would have been cool, I think this is pretty sweet! I like how it's one button, and yet still responds to left or right click. And the "squeese" button is perfect. I always find myself squeezing that spot on my pro mouse anyway, so this is extra goodness.

And the scroll ball, pretty wild. It's like a flashback to the trackball days.

All in all, I think I like it!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Abstract said:
Hold up.

No Mighty Mouse in Australia?

No Mighty Mouse anywhere in Asia? Don't they build these things in Taiwan? Stupid American business....

Gonna check that weird, semi-official New Zealand Apple Store.

Still no Mighty Mouse for us Aussies, or the iTMS, or the refurb store, or the cool education promotions.

Well, Asia as a whole gets shafted at the moment but all will be forgiven when I see this new mouse on the homepage at /au. I know I'm a bit excited but it's the first possibly affordable thing they've released that I could actually use in a while.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I would have posted sooner, but I cracked my head on the chair as I was passing out after seeing this...

Sweet look, I think. The design is typical Apple all the way. Sure, it would be nice if it were bluetooth - and I imagine it's coming - but since I don't have BT, I'm all for this one!

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Quick and dirty, but I had fun... had to do it.

Attachments

• Mighty_mouse2.jpg
    Mighty_mouse2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 83

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I have apple.com set as my home page in my browsers so I get outta bed, open up Camino and BAM! I see a funny mouse. I was... so shocked, that silly ol' me, before I even read the actual site, I click on my MR bookmark, panic when I don't see it on the front page of MR and then BAM I see it in the forums. Hehe. This mouse looks really cool (features and all) but I think I have to agree w/ a previous poster, definitely have to try this mousie out in person first.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
<immature>
That little ball reminds me of something.............
Me thinks many a Mac lovers girlfriend is going to be very happy in how dextrous their mighty mouse owning partners have become ;)
</immature>

Oh and it's not it the Aus store yet but the product page is up :). It's $AU79.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
ITASOR said:
Where are you guys finding this? Can't seem to find anything about sound.

Nevermind...found it. I hope there's a way to turn the sound off!

It's in a side box:

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/design.html

"Now Hear This
Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects."

Little speaker... Cool!

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Its awesome. :eek:

I posted this a few months ago on some other forums:

"Even though I'm pretty confident that Apple can pull it off, I wonder how they will make a 2 button mouse that doesn't look like utter sh*t. One of the reasons why I love the current Apple mouse is that the single button allows for a seamless design. The extra button would "break" the flow."

Looks like they did it right. ;)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Just googled Mighty Mouse and got this page.

Seems there is already a Mighty Mouse out there...

linkety

BTW - I hope they will be shipping them in AU - i will be first in line to get one.

aussie_geek

fieldsofanfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2005
Bugger. I ordered the single button Bluetooth mouse just last week. Still, there's no BT Mighty Mouse yet so I'll wait.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
i think i'm glad i just bought a wired keyboard over the bluetooth (agonizing decision) - gives me an excuse to go buy a new corded mouse! anyone wanna buy an mx900? :p

L

Lau

The one thing that worries me is this

Software Version Compatible Features
Mac OS X v10.4.2 or later Enable or disable scrolling, assign primary and secondary buttons, activate Exposé, display Dashboard, open Spotlight, switch applications or open applications.
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or 10.4.1 and earlier Assign primary and secondary buttons and activate Exposé. Display Dashboard in Mac OS X v10.4 or 10.4.1.
Mac OS X v10.3.8 and earlier Use as a multibutton scrolling mouse.
Windows 2000 or Windows XP See the Mouse control panel.

and this

It Squeezes, Not Squeaks
It wouldn’t be fair to call Mighty Mouse a two-button mouse with one button. Especially when it responds to pressure from your fingers in four different places. Besides the left- and right-click functions, the Scroll Ball clicks down to act as a third mouse button. And force-sensing buttons on either side of Mighty Mouse respond when you press in with your finger and thumb. Perfect for Mac OS X Tiger users, the side buttons are pre-programmed to activate Exposé, so you can view all your windows with a squeeze. Of course, you can also customize Mighty Mouse to open whatever you choose — Spotlight, Dashboard or any application when you have Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.2 or later.

implies that unless you have Tiger you can't program the side buttons. Which is annoying, because if I can do it with my Logitech software, it's possible to do it with my Apple software, surely. Could they have disabled it purposely for Panther and below? Suddenly £150 for a programmable Apple mouse doesn't seem such good value.... :rolleyes:

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved.

haha! i find this hilarious for some odd reason - wonder how much they had to pay off the good people at Viacom for the name...

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
They're available in Aus - just took a while for the page to be up, sloooow Apple AU website updates.

$79 AUD.

TheConArtist

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2003
Since when does apple consider looks before common sense, functionality, and ergonomics? The ipod started the trend of minimalism and touch sensitive interfaces, 2 'features' I think are counterintuitive.

Let me explain:

1. The mac is known for ease of use, but a person who does not know about the mighty mouse will not know by seeing it, that it has 2 top buttons.

2. When using a traditional mouse, ones fingers rest on the buttons. With regular mice, this is fine, since there are actual buttons to be pressed. With touch sensitive buttons, they will be likely to be accidentally pressed.

3. clicking and dragging is difficult on current apple mice due to the button being the top of the whole mouse. this trend seems likely to continue.

4. the trend of apple creating its own design methodology based on aesthetics and tradition (both mac based and NeXt based) is not good for the user. All because the mac always used 1 button before does not mean it needs to hold on to that tradition via 'single button charm'. Apple is trying to hide the fact that it is becoming more like a pc. First there was no context menus, then ctrl click appeared in os 9 and os x, then apple tab task switching like on windows that allowed mouse input, then multi button compatibility in os x out of the box, now a pseudo 2 button mouse that looks like a 1 button mouse. Just admit it apple! Give users 2 buttons that are unambiguous.

5. This may very well be a great peripheral. I will try it out and if I like it, will by it. I'm just sick of the reasoning behind the design, and see apple's ergonomic choices putting users 2nd, which should never be the case.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
.Andy said:
<immature>
That little ball reminds me of something.............
Me thinks many a Mac lovers girlfriend is going to be very happy in how dextrous their mighty mouse owning partners have become ;)
</immature>

"Left....scroll left, baby.....Harder.....FASTER......SCROLL FASTER!!"

WithTea

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Canada
TheConArtist said:
2. When using a traditional mouse, ones fingers rest on the buttons. With regular mice, this is fine, since there are actual buttons to be pressed. With touch sensitive buttons, they will be likely to be accidentally pressed.

Why, oh why did Apple even refer to that term? I believe it's been stated about four times in this thread that you still click, the "sensitive part" just decides where you've pressed: left, or right.

I sense many a misunderstanding coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.