New Apple Pay Setup Screens Unearthed in iOS 8.1 Beta 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hours after Apple seeded the second iOS 8.1 beta to developers, developer Hamza Sood has located the Apple Pay setup screen in the Passbook app, the Apple Pay setup screen in the initial iOS 8.1 setup and Apple Pay setup on the iPad. Previously, Sood had found the Apple Pay setup screen within the Settings app.

[​IMG]
    The setup prompt within Passbook is similar to the setup prompt to add passes, educating potential users on what the service is before providing a link to where users can input and scan their credit cards for use. Potential users have the choice to either input their credit card numbers via the keyboard or to take a photo of their card and have it inputted automatically.

The iPad gets the same setup screen as the iPhone version, but does not mention the ability to use Apple Pay in a retail store as no current iPads contain the NFC technology required to use the feature and it is uncertain whether it could be included in future iPads. Additionally, Apple Pay requires Touch ID, which current iPad models do not have, although future iPads are expected to have the new Touch ID home button.

iOS 8.1 is likely to be the update to include Apple Pay, although Apple has not yet flipped the switch within the betas seeded to developers. Instead, the company seems to have been preparing the features behind-the-scenes. Alongside Apple Pay, iOS 8.1 is expected to include a host of bug fixes for issues in iOS 8, including a fix for Bluetooth connectivity problems.

Article Link: New Apple Pay Setup Screens Unearthed in iOS 8.1 Beta 2

2. sziehr macrumors 6502a

3. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Quick question: Don't have a 6 or 6 plus, but does Apple Pay allow you to pay with not Apple Pay merchants? So if you wanted to buy from Wegmans instead of Whole Foods, would the transaction continue?

4. joltheadq macrumors newbie

Glad my wait for next round of shipments won't be in vain. I'll enjoy this whole new package of goodness.

5. outphase macrumors 65816

Possibly, if Wegmans has an NFC-enabled credit card terminal. All of the stores Apple named in the presentation already have NFC terminals.

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

7. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

8. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Apple Pay is strictly for shopping/acquisition and doesn't swing the other way and accept payments like (say) PayPal, correct?

9. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Aha. So does Apple sponsor the implementation of those companies' terminals (the ones in the Keynote), or do they buy them themselves? Do they have some sort of contract with Apple?

10. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Correct.

11. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Of course the iPad isn't getting in store purchases, can you imagine how awkward that would be?

12. solamar macrumors regular

Correct. For taking payments, You'd still want something like Square.. Which will also take Apple Pay in their new terminals they have announced. I have a Square merchant account, so easy to keep one, even for the casual business transaction where you only do hobbyist side jobs, to pay for that beer, etc. :cool: Apple is not competing against the likes of Square.. as Square is a company that takes many forms of payments and is focused on that. Soon NFC / Apple Pay.

Apple is actually competing against standalone payment businesses like PayPal. PayPal would much prefer you use them and their PayPal Credit (Used to be BillMeLater, PayPal's version of a CC).. Currently, PayPal is left out of this for the immediate future.

13. ttmrn macrumors regular

No, i can't.

i cld just hit my starbucks that's just around the corner with just my ipad.

14. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Starbucks doesn't use NFC...

I just think it would look a little funny bringing your iPad to the register to pay.

15. ttmrn macrumors regular

hi! aren't we talking about :apple:pay?

16. Joined:
    Sep 4, 2014
    It'll definitely be great to take a couple of cards out of my wallet. Here's to hoping this actually works. :D

17. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Yes, and I was talking about the iPad with Apple Pay. I was referencing part of the article that said-

"The iPad gets the same setup screen as the iPhone version, but does not mention the ability to use Apple Pay in a retail store as no current iPads contain the NFC technology required to use the feature and it is uncertain whether it could be included in future iPads."

I'll be shocked if you'll be able to use Apple Pay in retail stores.

18. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

19. ttmrn, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

ttmrn macrumors regular

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/
    see right below.

http://www.eweek.com/imagesvr_ce/9575/032314applepay04.jpg
    http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/09/applepayinapps.jpg

and how applepay is applicable w/o NFC, but i believe the touchID is a requirement.

20. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Still no word of this coming to thw UK though. NFC adoption is pretty poor here.

In fact I am still not sure this is quicker or easier than a chip and pin card.

21. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

There's a new iPad being announced next week. It will get Apple Pay and Touch ID for online purchases, but probably not NFC for in store payments. That's the point I'm trying to make.

22. Recognition macrumors 6502a

Recognition

Hmm, I've found NFC to be in quite a lot of places.
    Sainsburys, Tesco, Whsmith, McDonald's, Pret a Manger, café Nero, Greggs, Eat, Uppercrust and I'm sure there's more that I haven't been in.

Granted most of them are food related but that's probably because of the £20 (iirc) limit for contactless payments.

23. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Whereabouts do you live? From what I see NFC terminals are in most shops.

24. wxman2003 Suspended

Now all I need is my bank to get on board. Apparently only the debit and credit cards from American Express, BOA, Wells Fargo, Capital One, Chase, and Citi will work with Apple Pay at this time.

25. monoskier macrumors regular

Check with your bank directly. For instance, USAA isn't listed on Apple's page but their debit and visa/mc credit cards support apple pay.