MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TechCrunch reports that the Apple retail store in Palo Alto, California has unveiled an eye-catching new window display consisting of a video wall presenting a cloud of App Store application icons flying by with featured apps being shown on an oversized iPhone mockup in the center of the display.
Earlier this evening I was walking down the streets of Palo Alto near TechCrunch HQ, when I stumbled across what is likely the coolest window display I've ever seen -- unsurprisingly housed at the Apple Store. The display features a giant wall of apps flying by, accompanied by a massive iPhone that briefly displays a handful of featured apps for a few seconds apiece.
TechCrunch has confirmed that a similar display has appeared at the flagship San Francisco store, so look for them to spread to other stores in the near future.

Article Link: New Apple Retail Store "Flying Apps" Window Display Unveiled

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
That's wicked.

Can't help but notice the iPhone part of the display is lacking about 0.2 seconds behind the main display... but these things are always hard to sync up...!

Comment

sam011989

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
they're the same apps flying by every couple seconds. i see Remote, AIM, Shazam, and a few others fly by in the same order, in the same spot, every couple seconds.

would have been more impressed if it included all the available apps and didn't repeat as often

Comment

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
But!

what about people with epilepsy?

hope they have researched it! Otherwise it looks cool but maybe going to fast to really appreciate what's going on.

Comment

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
That's wicked.

Can't help but notice the iPhone part of the display is lacking about 0.2 seconds behind the main display... but these things are always hard to sync up...!

the word you're looking for is "lagging" and it is no where near .2 seconds behind. .2 seconds would be waaay obvious. It isn't noticeably off, and if it is off it is minute and not .2

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
That's wicked.

I was wondering if the iPhone actually had a display too, or if it was just glass so you can see the big screen behind it.

Pretty sweet. Apple has THE BEST marketing and branding PERIOD! :D

I would have maybe put a small subtle round white gradient in the middle where the apps are highlighted to focus more and not let the heavy duty app flurry behind distract so much though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.