New Apple Switch Campaign Canceled?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret reports that Apple has canceled the revised Switch campaign that was previously rumored.

The ads, filmed by Errol Morris, had reportedly already gone into production. 60 individuals who responded to Apple's call for iPod-related Switch stories were reportedly flown out to L.A. and interviewed on camera. ThinkSecret reports there were disagreements between Apple and Morris on the direction of the campaign:

Nevertheless, it came as a surprise to many parties involved when word arrived late Wednesday that Apple had officially abandoned the new Switch campaign for good.
Apple reportedly had invested a significant amount of money into this campaign already. No word on what direction Apple is going to take at this point with regard to advertising.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Good - we won't get the "crack-head Ellen"

Good thing - since the drugged out Ellen Feiss is the main memorable image from the first campaign.

How do they top that - a band of iPod thieves on crack?

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
this bites

well they need to pick up the pace on advertisements. i am tired of not seeing an OSX commerical on T.V. Ofcourse, I don't see Window's commercials but I see a lot of Microsoft. Grr Apple!

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
It is about time they start advertising their computers. The last time I saw an ad for a mac was the one for the Power Mac G5 with the guy being blown through his house. And then before that the 17 inch Powerbook. And then before that the iMac G4. That's not a whole lot over such a long period of time.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I wish apple and other people would realize their is more to Apple then just ipods...
Why is everything around the ipod... its a good idea but lets focus on just the computing aspect.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Disagreements with Morris? If Apple hired him shouldn't he just do what they tell him no matter how idiotic? Or just hire someone else?

Oh well no skin off my back. I was really hoping that they wouldn't bring back those stupid switch commercials. The only one I liked was Dave Chapples. :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Where can I download these abandoned commercials? Please provide a link.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
whoa... i haven't really looked into this until now. but... I was contacted by Apple if they wanted to interview me about switching to Mac because of iPod. this was months back, back in Feb. was that my golden ticket? I didn't email back, i didnt know what to do! call it shyness or whatever.

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
Outside of the box
supergod said:
It is about time they start advertising their computers. The last time I saw an ad for a mac was the one for the Power Mac G5 with the guy being blown through his house. And then before that the 17 inch Powerbook. And then before that the iMac G4. That's not a whole lot over such a long period of time.
If Apple markets this thing right, they can see a significant increase in sales. Right now we've got some magazine advertising, iPod halo effect, and word of mouth, but that isn't really enough. I see those cheesy commercials all the time for Wyndoze vendors and think to myself what it would be like for Apple to have that kind of public exposure.

When Apple made commercials, they did things that were really memorable, like with the guy getting blown out of his house for the G5, Yao Ming and Verne Troyer in the 12" and 17" PB commercial, "big and small". They need to make commercials like that again, and show them at least as frequently as the iPod ones, if not then more. The Macintosh is their real flagship product and it needs to be marketed properly.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Dr. Dastardly said:
Disagreements with Morris? If Apple hired him shouldn't he just do what they tell him no matter how idiotic?
You obviously haven't heard much about how Steve Jobs does business :p

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Let's hope this doesn't make it into the mainstream media.

"Apple abandons switchers"
"Apple cans Errol Morris, cancels switch ads"

If you read the Think Secret article, it's apparently because Apple corporate was trying to feeding people lines and forcing them to act/look the way Apple wanted them to, instead of just showing them like the average people they are and letting Errol Morris do his job.

If this is the case, a waste of money and a real shame, and possibly damaging PR-wise.

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
I'm completely relieved about the news. Apple made it big with the iPod and their fun colorful commercials. I don't understand why they would try to go back to a campaign they used before their recent success. Especially since everything I've read about them has mentioned how ineffective they were because they mostly only appealed to Mac users instead of the people they were targeting.

While I'm getting sick of the colorful iPod commercials, even I'm willing to admit that it would be a good thing for Apple to advertise their Macs with a similar campaign.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Eluon said:
well they need to pick up the pace on advertisements. i am tired of not seeing an OSX commerical on T.V. Ofcourse, I don't see Window's commercials but I see a lot of Microsoft. Grr Apple!
They DO need to pick up the pace on ads because I can barely remember the last time I even saw that one! They should just say "there's a 97% chance of rain, and that your computer sucks. Make the switch to Mac."

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Lacero said:
Where can I download these abandoned commercials? Please provide a link.
Keep an eye on errolmorris.com, from time to time he puts oddities in the aborted projects heading of his archive page.

Of his ad clients, Apple is conspicuously absent, so they may have got all grumpy when he had the earlier Switch stuff up and these new ones may not get the chance to turn up.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
They should follow their own site ideas

I think a series of commercials reflecting the content on their new switch page would be great. Rather than stories and abstract artsie stuff why not show people using their macs and all the really cool things average people can do with an Apple computer. Show things like iPhoto and the beautiful photo books you can create, or a clever home video that was created in iMovie and burned onto a DVD. Or new music you can create with Garage Band. Show the software in action. How simple it is. How elegant. How easy. All for $499! :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some kind of general Mac awareness campaign seems called for. Whether it's about 'switchers,' or tied to iPod, or what... I'm not the one to say. And I can see it might make sense to wait and hit the big campaign after the Intel change is in full swing.

It would be fun to see SOMETHING on TV about Macs, sooner rather than later.