New Apple TV hardware is never ever ever coming out

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by betabeta, Jun 4, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

It's just never going to happen:( every time we think it's going to happen, something pushes to next time. Well this was going to be that next time:D, and guess what, it's not happening, so maybe next time?:confused:

Just maybe we will at least get a new UI, on second thought, probably not:eek:

At this point I would even buy the current model with a better chip and more memory.

2. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I've been waiting for a long time for the new TV and I am honestly probably just gonna go out and buy it I am sick of waiting. Its just 65 thats an expensive dinner.

3. brianlbaker macrumors member

brianlbaker

Look at the colorful WWDC logo, that is everywhere. The center of the image, is an AppleTV. They almost have to have something.

[​IMG]

4. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I am tired of waiting. I bought the current Apple TV in 2013 when Apple did not announce anything as a stop gate to wait for the new one. Two years later and I am still waiting. Meanwhile I also got a Roku 3, two Fire TV's, and a PS4 and still no Apple TV.

I think Apple is going to keep delaying this thing then eventually just silently kill off the Apple TV product. They are doing that now with the iPod Touch.

5. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

6. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

It will be released right after the New Mac Mini, which, as you may have heard, is almost certainly coming!

7. thasan macrumors 6502a

in 2018..? :D

8. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

That might be a bit optimistic:rolleyes:

9. MarkNY macrumors regular

On the bright side, maybe the A13X chip in there may be as fast the Xbox One.

10. stage44 macrumors newbie

Agreed, I'm sick of waiting. I want a unified Apple TV with apps but until then I'll be using my PS4.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Not necessarily. Have you not seen the Mac mini, or more importantly, iOS apps?

12. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

The lack of a new Apple TV really hasn't surprised me. The third-generation does what it's supposed to do perfectly well; stream content up to 1080p. I don't see them just throwing in an App Store just because the idea kind of seems cool when you think about it passively. It would have to do something really exciting and different that would really matter to lots of people; if they have some kind of a vision like that, they'll wait until they can really have it ready.

I'm really wondering about HomeKit, though, and rumours that the AppleTV might serve as a wired hub for lights, temperature, all that sort of stuff. Plus, the recent price drop – an effort that's ensured a bunch more people will have an AppleTV by the date of this event. The square does look like an iOS app or a Mac mini, but there's only one of it, right at the centre. Could this be a hint that the Apple TV will be "at the centre" of some sort of idea which is surrounded by iOS apps (diamonds) and Watch apps (circles), in a way that will change things for some people?

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Could also be a square in resemblance to the watch with all the watch icons / circles around it.

Personally, I wanted the 4th version a couple of years ago. But when it didn't materialize, I realized I wanted to use the features then instead of waiting, and the 3rd generation does everything I needed.

14. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Well, the Apple Watch is a non-square rectangle, and the corner radius is much smaller, so I doubt it's that.

Also – maybe notably or maybe not – other versions of the WWDC art include the central "square" oriented diagonally like a diamond, too.

Anyway, right. I held onto my 2nd-generation Apple TV until it was beyond unsupported; the interface was just starting to lag enough that I decided to upgrade. (Happily, it turned out their value was unexpectedly high since they, unlike 3rd-generations, were still able to be Jailbroken – it turned out to be a profitable move.)

15. iPhisch macrumors 6502

No kidding, I sold my AppleTV 2 on eBay for $145 when the 3 came out. Wild! Went to Best Buy to buy the new one and went out for dinner.

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

honestly when it comes to streaming boxes.... content is king. all the great UIs or user loaded apps ability means nothing without great content. This is the reason why the current ATV, even though old, is still relevant. Even among competition with better hardware.

If Apple brought out a new ATV without great content to match, it wouldn't oveertake the market.

The only thing I want to see tomorrow, since they don't have TV deals in place, is Apple giving out a SDK. That would tell me they are serious about this box doing more than a hobby.

17. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Waiting for that till on 2016 right?

18. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

19. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

LOL, as usual, the words "Apple TV" weren't spoken even once during the entire presentation. They didn't even say that Apple Music would be available on the Apple TV.

20. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Then when 2016 comes nothing waiting till 2017.
    I moved on to other streaming devices. I still keep my Apple TV connected only for the Watch Disney channels otherwise I moved onto the PS4 and Fire TV. I am sick of waiting for nothing.

21. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I truly thought a new Apple TV would've been the "One More Thing...." and was the only thing I was looking forward to hearing about. iOS and OS X updates are expected....Music, eh, not interested. Nothing with Apple TV though is disappointing.

22. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Also tired of waiting, I am just going to get a Roku player instead!

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

24. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant