Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Honestly a little disappointed the didn’t wait and release it with the next generation chip. To me that means they aren’t looking to really innovate with this release but I’ll probably still buy it and pass along my current 4k to my in-laws to replace their flaky Rocku.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Overdue, but I welcome even the incrementally updated Apple TV 4K. Aside from A12X and larger storage mentioned, along with few catch ups (e.g., Wi-Fi 6), I hope the update will also bring HDMI 2.1 (eARC for more robust audio and lip sync correction, Quick Media Switching for smoother frame rate and dynamic range matching, and VRR & ALLM for games).

Other improvements are probably not happening (e.g., redesigned remote control, gaming controller, always on Siri) -- but I hope tvOS team is working on more significant updates in the coming months (e.g., AV1 codec, better upscaler, TV app usability improvements).

Last edited:
Reactions: star-affinity

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
"X" variant of A12 chip will be much better than simple A12 chip as rumored before. So, apple tv might compete as a gaming device also.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
A12x. Will be a sound upgrade for Apple Arcade.

Timely.

Azrael.
[automerge]1588871622[/automerge]
"X" variant of A12 chip will be much better than simple A12 chip as rumored before. So, apple tv might compute as a gaming device also.

With the PS5 et al launching this year(?) the ATV needs to hold it's own for 'mainstream' gaming and push the ATV on as a respectable gaming device/console/tv device circa £150. The A12x allows that.

Respectable?

Azrael.
[automerge]1588871662[/automerge]
But for the love of god...the controller...

...and Apple. Make your own game controller. Or Apple brand the 'steel' one.

Azrael.

Reactions: George Dawes

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
1. With the PS5 et al launching this year(?) the ATV needs to hold it's own for 'mainstream' gaming and push the ATV on as a respectable gaming device/console/tv device circa £150. The A12x allows that.

2. ...and Apple. Make your own game controller. Or Apple brand the 'steel' one.

1. If you want a PlayStation or X-Box, you should just get one. I think gaming on Apple-TV is more like lower-end "iOS gaming" except on the TV. Asphalt-8/9 racing is pretty awesome, and whole family can play.

2. Personally, we like the Siri-Remote. It works fine for TV and similar apps. The accelerometer and gyroscope sensors is why it works for gaming. AFAIK, the Steel-Series controller has neither, so not sure why people like it (or why Apple selected it).

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Just please, FTLOG, don't stop support of Apple TV HD (Apple TV 4) yet. Many of us have been unemployed due to COVID 19 and I don't have the duccats to fork over for a new one.

If you are in the United States and unemployed due to the virus you should be getting unemployment plus $600 extra per week.
[automerge]1588875677[/automerge]
Honestly a little disappointed the didn’t wait and release it with the next generation chip. To me that means they aren’t looking to really innovate with this release but I’ll probably still buy it and pass along my current 4k to my in-laws to replace their flaky Rocku.
Hilarious, not even released yet and people are complaining about it being out of date

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
1. If you want a PlayStation or X-Box, you should just get one. I think gaming on Apple-TV is more like lower-end "iOS gaming" except on the TV. Asphalt-8/9 racing is pretty awesome, and whole family can play.

2. Personally, we like the Siri-Remote. It works fine for TV and similar apps. The accelerometer and gyroscope sensors is why it works for gaming. AFAIK, the Steel-Series controller has neither, so not sure why people like it (or why Apple selected it).
  1. While no one will mistake Apple TV games for Xbox or Playstation, at $49.99/year, Apple Arcade is a great deal for casual console gamers.
  2. It's unfortunate that Apple does not make a gaming controller. All 3 gaming controllers -- Microsoft Xbox Wireless (gen 3), Sony DUALSHOCK 4, and Steel Nimbus are truly optimized for Apple TV experience. An ideal controller should completely replicate Siri Remote for gaming, USB-C and/or Qi charging, while providing best of breed ergonomics of DUALSHOCK 4 or Xbox Wireless controller.

Reactions: Azrael9

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This is the same chip in the 2018 iPad Pro. That thing’s a beast. What exactly are you trying to run on an ATV that the A12X won’t suffice?

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
  1. While no one will mistake Apple TV games for Xbox or Playstation, at $49.99/year, Apple Arcade is a great deal for casual console gamers.
  2. It's unfortunate that Apple does not make a gaming controller. All 3 gaming controllers -- Microsoft Xbox Wireless (gen 3), Sony DUALSHOCK 4, and Steel Nimbus are truly optimized for Apple TV experience. An ideal controller should completely replicate Siri Remote for gaming, USB-C and/or Qi charging, while providing best of breed ergonomics of DUALSHOCK 4 or Xbox Wireless controller.

Agreed with this.

More competition in the gaming space is good. The PS5 and X Box 'Next' are going to be very expensive. An ATV will be a 1/3 of the cost of them. So, the A12X in an ATV will be a potent and sound value system. Great for casual gamers. Apple Arcade shows Apple's commitment to games. An historic moment. Add them both together and you have a great deal compared to 'serious gaming' costing £500 for a console with games costing £50-70 a pop.

I'm not sure Apple's track record on mice, tv remotes is 'great' but they're not bad. Passable. Useable. Again, if Apple wants to go into a gaming controller they will do it they will. It's another one to add to the 'Apple never will make' list. Until they decide to folks can use x-box, ps and 'Steel' controllers.

I'd be quite happy with the ATV A12X and Steel Nimbus with Apple Arcade. That's not a bad gaming bundle for what? About £200-£250? You get the A12X, a controller and all the games you can 'eat.'

Gaming doesn't start and end at 'bobbing gun' doom style 'serious' gaming or Fortnite. The more competition the better. I'm quite happy and POSITIVE that Apple have entered this space. Backing it up with A12X hardware is a 'Good Thing.' TM.

Azrael.
[automerge]1588944608[/automerge]
This is the same chip in the 2018 iPad Pro. That thing’s a beast. What exactly are you trying to run on an ATV that the A12X won’t suffice?

A12X is quite the beast. As have many of the 'X' variants.

I could see me going for an A12X powered ATV. That would be a performance bargain.

Azrael.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
If the games get a big upgrade I might well be tempted to get one

If Apple provides the incentives...currently the ATV is a bit forlorn in lieu of update. aka. Like the iMac. It's due.

A12x provides a kick az reason for a better 'mainstream' casual console 'tv' device that would push the ambitions of the Apple Arcade experience.

4k tvs need a good amount of oomph to drive them.

A12x I should imagine a good decent 'arcade' experience with that under the bonnet.

Apple. Just buy Nintendo and put their back catalogue in Apple Arcade.

See those ATV's walk out the stores.

Azrael.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I own a 2018 iPad Pro. It is a great processor. Only the A13 rivals it for performance-per-watt. However the raw *GPU* power trails what current or even next generation gaming consoles can do. The Apple TV 4K is slinging around 33% more pixels than the iPad 12.9” iPad without even getting into the strain of 10-bit, HDR images. The Apple TV hardware will also likely sit for another 2+ years without a refresh so I’d rather wait a little longer for the newest processor instead of a great—but two year old—processor.

The reality is that as a streaming box the current ATV 4K is already overkill with it’s A10X—not even the current NVIDIA Shield is as fast. So any update is either going to be very niche or needs to create new markets. This is the year the new consoles come out, this is the season with the biggest ”churn”, the best possible returns to convince the millions of console gamers to take Apple seriously. The right hardware and the right exclusive games could be a win.

Combining the ATV with HomePod or breefing up the smart home capabilities might also be a growth niche, but if Apple were going in that direction I think we’d have heard more rumors.

FWIW: I’m not a gamer, the last game console I owned was an Atari 2600 (before they were vintage), I just love the Apple TV and for it to stick around it needs to be more successful.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I own a 2018 iPad Pro. It is a great processor. Only the A13 rivals it for performance-per-watt. However the raw *GPU* power trails what current or even next generation gaming consoles can do. The Apple TV 4K is slinging around 33% more pixels than the iPad 12.9” iPad without even getting into the strain of 10-bit, HDR images. The Apple TV hardware will also likely sit for another 2+ years without a refresh so I’d rather wait a little longer for the newest processor instead of a great—but two year old—processor.

The reality is that as a streaming box the current ATV 4K is already overkill with it’s A10X—not even the current NVIDIA Shield is as fast. So any update is either going to be very niche or needs to create new markets. This is the year the new consoles come out, this is the season with the biggest ”churn”, the best possible returns to convince the millions of console gamers to take Apple seriously. The right hardware and the right exclusive games could be a win.

Combining the ATV with HomePod or breefing up the smart home capabilities might also be a growth niche, but if Apple were going in that direction I think we’d have heard more rumors.

FWIW: I’m not a gamer, the last game console I owned was an Atari 2600 (before they were vintage), I just love the Apple TV and for it to stick around it needs to be more successful.
I understand what you’re saying but the ATV isn’t going to be playing Xbox or PlayStation games. This upgrade is being done for Arcade and Apple needs for it to be successful. I’m sure they’ve done their homework and decided that the A12X will be more than sufficient to run Arcade’s casual gaming games. I’m not much of a gamer either (EA NHL is all I’ve played for the past 10+ years on Xbox). If a game like that was available for the ATV, then I would hope for better hardware as well. I have 4 ATV 4K’s right now and from what I see, they work great for their intended purpose. Streaming and casual gaming.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I have 4 ATV 4K’s right now and from what I see, they work great for their intended purpose. Streaming and casual gaming.
That's the thing. I don't think that purpose will continue to be big enough to justify the hardware unless Apple moves into other use cases like serious gaming.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That's the thing. I don't think that purpose will continue to be big enough to justify the hardware unless Apple moves into other use cases like serious gaming.
Ahh gotchya. I thought the argument was that the A12x wasn’t sufficient. Maybe more serious games are in their plans. Who knows for now? Time will tell.

Reactions: gnomeisland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.