MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

074824-apple_tv_large.jpg

Yesterday's confirmation that the new Apple TV shares the same iOS codebase as the Apple's iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad has resparked discussion about the possibility of Apple TV Apps in the near future. Several sites are suggesting that the Apple TV will be the target of Jailbreakers who will try to open the device to 3rd party apps, though we suspect Apple already has their own plans in the works.

If you remember, Engadget predicted that the new Apple TV would be based on the A4 processor, focus on streaming technology and be priced at only $99. They followed up with further claims that the AppleTV would indeed get Apps:
Furthermore, the device will be getting apps and presumably an App Store entry, though it's unclear if there will be cross-pollination between iPad and iPhone / iPod touch offerings and new Apple TV applications.
Overall, their predictions and descriptions of the device were quite accurate. Two predictions didn't come true: the iTV rename and the arrival of an Apple TV App Store. However, even the possibility of an iTV rename generated backlash from UK television network ITV, so it seems possible the rebranding could have been derailed at the last minute.

Now, an Apple TV App Store remains a distinct possibility. Apple originally launched the iPhone without Apps and introduced the App Store a full year later. If the rest of Engadget's report is to be believed, the new Apple TV should have 16GB of flash storage that will be able to be used for future App storage. The new Apple TVs have not started shipping but we'll be able to confirm its internal storage once it gets in customer's hands.

Article Link: New Apple TV to Get Apps?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I'd be surprised if it doesn't, honestly. I know it's not a direct competitor with the offering of Google, but Apple must have at least considered the impact of Google joining the market.

Comment

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
I'd be surprised if it doesn't, honestly. I know it's not a direct competitor with the offering of Google, but Apple must have at least considered the impact of Google joining the market.

Yep it's the logical thing to do.

Especially considering how much money Apple is making off apps.

Comment

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I fail to see how and why anyone would want Apps on this device. Every man and his dog is going on about being able to play games on it, but fail to understand that without a separate dedicated controller this is just not going to be feasible.

Apple will never expect users to shell out for an iPod or iPhone to be able to fill the role of a controller and the remote that comes with the device would be irritating as hell to use instead.

Perhaps there could be Apps from large media companies to add their content (video streaming of sports and film) into the mix that functioned in a similar way to how the menu system in the :apple:TV currently functions, but the idea of being able to use Apps in their current form as we have on iPod/Pads/Phones I just can't see happening.

Comment

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
why wouldn't they?

it would become a instant competitor in the gaming console market, especially if they make the games cross-compatible with iPad and iPhone (plus of course TV-specific ones to take advantage of the size and resolution of the screen).
Buy one version, own them all.

they just need to come up with a usable input device. probably at least initially a remote with a trackpad and gyroscopes could be enough.
basically a stripped-down ipod touch, with just the remote control functions.
a next step would be that te games play smultaneously on the iphone/ipad/itouch with mirroring.

Comment

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

To those wondering why the device didn't launch with an app store, one word: iPad. They don't yet have iOS ready for their new flagship product, so the couldn't waste resources on a hobby. I think they'll do apps, and would guess devs will see an SDK in the spring.

The interesting thing is how allowing an app e.g. hulu is almost as good as brokering a deal directly with a studios. It's certainly easier to help boxee port an app than it is to oversee scores of lawyers begging Hollywood for tv rentals.

Several years ago at All Things Digital (on stage with Gates), Steve Jobs said he wished Apple were better at partnerships. Well, with the app store, Apple suddenly had 100,000 partners, all of whom can make their hardware more enticing.

One more thing, the app concept may work for games, but for video content it might get in the way. I don't want to search hulu, then launch boxee, then go to the netflix app. I just want to pick a show. All the video serving apps should "speak" to one interface/database that I go to when I sit my ass on the couch.

Comment

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Will be neat if they allow some apps. And if they allow games, it'll be apple's unofficial entry into console market. Only problem will be the way to cotrol these apps/games. The apple TV remote it ships with right now will be pretty much useless for any custom app. But using your iPhone/iPad to control these apps seems like the choice they should go for if they do end up having apps.

But that makes it a little less probable as Apple doesnt really like selling products which cant be used to the max on their own. Except for iTunes requirement, all iDevices are supposed to be used by themselves without needing anything else at all. I dont see them promoting appstore as an advantage for apple TV if you need to have an iDevice to use them fully. And unless they change the Apple TV remote to include more ways of input. Maybe a gyro, accelerometer combo will provide enough added possibilities to build an app around it. But that doesnt really sound like a good option either.

Though it'll be hard to find an Apple TV owner who doesnt have an iDevice, it still isnt apple's nature to ship products which rely on something which costs twice as much to take full advantage of its features.

Comment

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I Cant wait to get mine. Hopeing that it will be a nice easy setup compared to the Mini. Would be nice to be able to sync the Magic tracked for multitude support.

Comment

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Will be neat if they allow some apps. And if they allow games, it'll be apple's unofficial entry into console market. Only problem will be the way to cotrol these apps/games. The apple TV remote it ships with right now will be pretty much useless for any custom app. But using your iPhone/iPad to control these apps seems like the choice they should go for if they do end up having apps.

But that makes it a little less probable as Apple doesnt really like selling products which cant be used to the max on their own. Except for iTunes requirement, all iDevices are supposed to be used by themselves without needing anything else at all. I dont see them promoting appstore as an advantage for apple TV if you need to have an iDevice to use them fully. And unless they change the Apple TV remote to include more ways of input. Maybe a gyro, accelerometer combo will provide enough added possibilities to build an app around it. But that doesnt really sound like a good option either.

Though it'll be hard to find an Apple TV owner who doesnt have an iDevice, it still isnt apple's nature to ship products which rely on something which costs twice as much to take full advantage of its features.

the remote will be redisigned ad hoc.
think ipodtouch (maybe smaller) switching from a 'TV remote' control configuration to a 'console' configuration to a mirror of what's on screen

they can make it an optional:

included: regular remote
optional: iTouch remote (20$)
optional 2: you can use your ipod, ipad, iphone as a remote

Comment

jelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
If they can make it happen where the do a la carte apps where you pay a monthly fee for stations, for example: Discovery, CBS, NBC, ABC, HBO, and Showtime, you pay a certain amount every month that you have those stations and you can watch all shows just like you can now. I would rather pay for that then paying for the extra crap channels that I get now.

Sports leagues could do the same thing, just like sunday ticket it now you sign up and pay $60 a month for 5 months and you get every NFL game.

This would be ideal for the consumer obviously, not the broadcasting companies, but I think it would be the best use of the device.

Too bad it won't ever happen.

Comment

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
They're not making much money of apps (except that the App Store is a great selling point).

Apple gets 30% of the total profit on the over 6.5 billion apps that have been downloaded so far. Even if most of those are free, I'd say they're making quite a bit.

Comment

donnydjr

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
Why not...

Just have all of the current iDevices and their Apps push via WiFi to the AppleTV, just like video will be pushed/streamed?

Or maybe various Apps have a TV option... when in this mode, the App pushes the audio and video to the AppleTV and the iDevice GUI turns into the control screen.

Just a thought

Comment

^^ CoolMacLover

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
On A Apple
Or maybe various Apps have a TV option... when in this mode, the App pushes the audio and video to the AppleTV and the iDevice GUI turns into the control screen.

I like that idea :D Lets hope apple were that smart to let us be able to do that. :cool: I cant wait for my AppleTV... :D I've been hanging out for the update since i heard of GoogleTV xD

Comment

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If they can make it happen where the do a la carte apps where you pay a monthly fee for stations, for example: Discovery, CBS, NBC, ABC, HBO, and Showtime, you pay a certain amount every month that you have those stations and you can watch all shows just like you can now. I would rather pay for that then paying for the extra crap channels that I get now.

Sports leagues could do the same thing, just like sunday ticket it now you sign up and pay $60 a month for 5 months and you get every NFL game.

This would be ideal for the consumer obviously, not the broadcasting companies, but I think it would be the best use of the device.

Too bad it won't ever happen.

If this ever happened, I'd subscribe to get live F1 races and cancel my cable subscription immediately. Live sports is the ONLY reason I still have cable.

Comment

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Apple gets 30% of the total profit on the over 6.5 billion apps that have been downloaded so far. Even if most of those are free, I'd say they're making quite a bit.

They aren't making 30% of the profit, they are making 30% of the revenue. And we have no idea what their expenses are out of that 30%.

Comment

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
the remote will be redisigned ad hoc.
think ipodtouch (maybe smaller) switching from a 'TV remote' control configurarion' to a 'console' configuration to a mirror of what's on screen

If they do end up changing the remote to add more options of controlling, it definitely wont be a slimmed down version of iPod touch. Best case scenario, they add gyro, accelerometer and capacitive touchpad with no screen, no processor, ram or anything et al. Those cant be provided for free with a $99 device. They are barely making a profit with the current :apple:TV and seems like unlike other iDevices where iTunes stores are a way to get more hardware sales, :apple:TV will rely on the store to get them some profits. Still I dont see them adding something as costly as a smaller iPod with this without making it financially unfeasible.

Anyways, on thinking about it a lil more, I think apple will definitely allow apps on apple TV for sure. They have tasted the appstore blood of success already and its easy to see apple TV being successful if there is as good a support for app-store like iDevices has (which wont be difficult considering the success of current app-stores). So ya, there will be apps for sure. Only thing left to see is how will we use those apps. Will be interesting to know what apple decides to go with here. A new improved remote or iDevices.

edit:

they can make it an optional:

included: regular remote
optional: iTouch remote (20$)
optional 2: you can use your ipod, ipad, iphone as a remote
Thats what I cant see them doing. Its not in apple's nature to have optional accessories to use the main feature of a device. They still dont have a first party game controller, which is the main advantage Sony, nintendo has when it comes to mobile gaming (personally I dont care about buttons btw, but they will deinitely make it a lot better experience to play conventional games which use touch screen buttons right now). They dont like optionals. You pay for something and it works as good as it's supposed to without you needing to get something else. Their main mantra is to sell a complete experience. May be they'll change it now. Who knows. Lets just hope apple TV does get some apps and a a good enough way to control them :)

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
So would you need a wifi game controller if you wanted to run a game app on the appletv without a computer or ipod touch around? I can imagine future generations of appletv adding bluetooth for controllers if gaming takes off on this.

Comment

Wingsy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
Apps. Control. HOW?

Just thinking of some of the apps I use on my iPhone and iPad.

I see something, and I touch it or drag it around, or tilt it. That's how I interact with it. Now if the image was on my TV coming from my Apple TV, just how in the blazes am I to touch what I see? I can do that on my Mac with a mouse and a screen pointer, but we're talking about iOS that's a touch based system.

HOW?

Comment

jay-t

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
i can imagine, that with airplay apple could use the ios devices to stream the games to the large tv screens and you then control them via the accelerometer. or something like that...

Comment

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
Just thinking of some of the apps I use on my iPhone and iPad.

I see something, and I touch it or drag it around, or tilt it. That's how I interact with it. Now if the image was on my TV coming from my Apple TV, just how in the blazes am I to touch what I see? I can do that on my Mac with a mouse and a screen pointer, but we're talking about iOS that's a touch based system.

HOW?

Perhaps your iPhone or iPad will act as the remote...ie you will see the app on your phone/pad and your finger touches will translate to the tv

simple

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.