Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Perhaps your iPhone or iPad will act as the remote...ie you will see the app on your phone/pad and your finger touches will translate to the tv

simple

No, it's not simple. The original poster is correct and I've tried it myself via a Jailbreak hack that sends my iPhone's live screen (ALL video/screens) to a TV via Apple's video cable.

Your eye is ordinarily focused on the iPhone/iTouch screen--you look to see where to point, click, swipe, scroll, etc. If you then move this image to the TV, your eye has moved away from the control surface and you have no clue where to hit. Perhaps some expert gamers could adjust, but I found it quite tiring and inexact.

New games that simplified the controls to 1 or 2 large touch surfaces, such as a Left/Right button scheme, could probably work, as you could rest your thumbs on the screen without looking, using the edge of the phone as a tactile guide.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Where do you put 3rd party downloadable apps on a device with no storage?

Also, isn't it interesting that the new iPod nano looks like it's running iOS when in fact it isn't. Conversely, the new Apple TV is running iOS but doesn't look like it is.
The device has no user controllable storage for syncing. It no doubt has storage for the operating system to exists and to buffer streaming audio/video plus eventually for apps.

If it has 8gb of internal storage that is plenty for apps.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
They aren't making 30% of the profit, they are making 30% of the revenue. And we have no idea what their expenses are out of that 30%.

Isn't the app thing as much an indirect profit for Apple., i.e. they sell more iPhones and iPod Touch's because you can get apps for them? If the AppleTV had apps available, it immediately increases its desirability and therefore Apples profits.

stradale33

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

All the video serving apps should "speak" to one interface/database that I go to when I sit my ass on the couch.

Amen :D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Did anyone do an autopsy yet?

I am curious if Apple could fold AppleTV into the iPad-Pod-Phone stuff in time. Why not? Just need connectors to get image from device to screen. You could download or arrange TV all day, then go watch it at night with the same device you use to call people.

The melding of platforms will be ultimately beneficial for consumers and the industry. At the moment it seems like a decent step toward a logical conclusion about home entertainment, but it is still a way from what it should become to be seductively necessary for leisure time.

TV-phone-MP3-App-Game-Word Processor-Internet-Email-Chat device.... beautiful. It's probably 4 years off.

Apple gets 30% of the total profit on the over 6.5 billion apps that have been downloaded so far. Even if most of those are free, I'd say they're making quite a bit.

Yeah, the naysayers are absolutely insane. Even if Apple is taking 1% off all the sold apps, they are doing well enough to keep the App store going and the app ability functioning and approving.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Great possibilities for downloading game apps to you tv and the phone/pad acts as the controller

Apple is going to rule the world

I wondered how apps would work on an Apple TV. That would be kinda cool, but what about people who don't have an Ipod Touch/iPhone/iPad? The little dinky remote can only do so much unless Apple makes a remote like those for a Nintendo Wii.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I fail to see how and why anyone would want Apps on this device. Every man and his dog is going on about being able to play games on it, but fail to understand that without a separate dedicated controller this is just not going to be feasible.

Apple will never expect users to shell out for an iPod or iPhone to be able to fill the role of a controller and the remote that comes with the device would be irritating as hell to use instead.

Perhaps there could be Apps from large media companies to add their content (video streaming of sports and film) into the mix that functioned in a similar way to how the menu system in the :apple:TV currently functions, but the idea of being able to use Apps in their current form as we have on iPod/Pads/Phones I just can't see happening.

Not one single word of this post makes any sense.

1. You say games without a dedicated controller won't be feasible. I'd like to present Exhibit A, the App Store that has existed for 2.5 years. Every game is without a dedicated controller.

2. This is absurd. Apple doesn't expect people to buy iPhones or iPads??? :confused: I assure you, they do. What do you think the killer feature AirPlay revolves around? You're not going to be streaming anything from your aluminum remote to the :apple:TV, I can promise you that.

3. No one said anything about Apps in their current form. That's about as logical as saying the iPad would be only iPhone Apps, Double Pixeled. No, of course not, Apps would be purposely written and designed to take advantage of the situation.

(Sigh, can't believe I have to break this down for people)

- Most iPhone/iPad games center around very basic controls that are not accuracy-based, rather timing-based.. Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Tap anywhere, Double Tap, Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right, etc................

All of these interactions can be done on an iPhone or iPad (DEDICATED CONTROLLER) while the game's imagery and video is pushed out in 720p to your :apple:TV.

This, to me, sounds like it revolves solely around iPhone/iPad development, and won't require Apps to be stored on the :apple:TV. Apps/Games that push their visuals using AirPlay to the :apple:TV, rather than Apps running on the :apple:TV with the iPhone/iPad a wifi/bluetooth remote.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Maybe though, it will have apps...just not in the way we know apps NOW.

I can see them setting up apps like netflix for CONTENT. Not so much for games and twitter....which I agree, do you want twitter on your tv? I dont, but I digress.

Content plugins...... I can see apple inking deals and adding these content add-ons with quarterly updates vs the app store model. Hard Coded into the OS itself like the Netflix app/content.

$.02

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Huh??

I can see so MANY reasons download-able apps for Apple TV would be a huge benefit! (Sometimes it amazes me how short-sighted people can be!)

First of all, regarding playing games on it? It all depends on the type of game. It *does* have a separate dedicated controller. A basic remote is all you need to play such things as trivia games or most board games (such as Scrabble), or even card games or some strategy games. Only fast-action arcade titles really require a more responsive controller.

But beyond the "games" issue, how about such things as turning AppleTV into a "smarthome" control center or control panel for an alarm system? How about supporting it as a remote monitor for networked security camera installations? Since it's connected to the Internet and your local LAN already, the right apps are all it needs to work with anything else that's networked.

I fail to see how and why anyone would want Apps on this device. Every man and his dog is going on about being able to play games on it, but fail to understand that without a separate dedicated controller this is just not going to be feasible.

Apple will never expect users to shell out for an iPod or iPhone to be able to fill the role of a controller and the remote that comes with the device would be irritating as hell to use instead.

Perhaps there could be Apps from large media companies to add their content (video streaming of sports and film) into the mix that functioned in a similar way to how the menu system in the :apple:TV currently functions, but the idea of being able to use Apps in their current form as we have on iPod/Pads/Phones I just can't see happening.

StarBlue

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Roy, Utah
For me I am upset it will not be able to tie to my Time Capsule. I have a large iTunes library and a lot of it was purchased directly from Apple. To have me first download it to my iPad or iPhone then AirPlay it to the AppleTV is plain stupid! So if it can be cracked and then linked to an iTunes library I am sold on it!

applenewsjonny

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Apple TV to get apps

Hiya,

Just in case it got missed, an Apple person told me that the processor used inside the Apple TV is the A4. He also told me it was running a variant of iOS.

I think the pieces are all in place for this, I'd anticipate Apple is debating whether to only offer limited iOS-based services through the system, or whether to open it up for wider app development. Also the UI remains a challenge, though I have to say the remote -- it isn't even the same color as the Apple TV. It felt 'wrong'.

Anyway, just my penn'orth. As you know I've expected apps on Apple TV for many months now.

All best
Jonny

Some earlier stuff, http://blogs.computerworld.com/16724/apple_tv_streaming_for_us_first_more

Colman

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
What would an Apple TV app look like, what would it do? What are the constraints?

Apple clearly think you've got limited space for text - look at the interface they're showing off on the new one - about as much text as on an iPhone screen, maybe a little more.

You have very limited input devices - even a Wii remote is not a lot of fun to use for things like Opera - and I'd never use Opera on the Wii if I had an iPhone or iPad anywhere nearby.

I'd guess apps will come, but maybe not on this generation - we'll see when we find out what the storage is - and with a new interface layer based around something very much like the current Apple remote for utility apps.

Games are another matter. Would Apple bring out a games controller? Allow connectivity with other iOS devices for shared games, in the way some developers are using multiple iphones to control games on the iPad?

I'm not sold on the idea that you're going to be pushing game video from your ipad to your screen - you can do that with video because a little lag doesn't matter, but I'd expect there to be enough lag to make playing games that way uncomfortable.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
#1 reason to jailbreak one?

Hulu!

Those idiots still think Hulu should only be viewed in a web browser on an actual desktop or laptop PC.... They keep blocking the ability to use it on anything they think might be attached to your television, not realizing that in today's times, your TV is simply another monitor option for your computer!

With a jailbroken Apple TV, someone will quickly develop an app for watching streaming TV on Hulu that fakes Hulu out into thinking it's simply being viewed on a web browser ....

if this gets jailbroken in any way, im buying

*shrug*
judge me

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I fail to see how and why anyone would want Apps on this device.

two words: air video.

I'd buy this thing just for that app. Throw in netflix, maybe hulu, and some content partners (I remember an hbo app being announced for later this year or next).

If they do that..my interest in the atv goes from zero to 100%

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

You just made my point for me!I'm not looking for papi jump,but Hulu player,ABC player,etc.are,as you pointed out,apps,and rather desirable ones.So I guess you CAN see why someone would want apps,and I agree with you!

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
You just made my point for me!I'm not looking for papi jump,but Hulu player,ABC player,etc.are,as you pointed out,apps,and rather desirable ones.So I guess you CAN see why someone would want apps,and I agree with you!

Aye, I was thinking more about gaming Apps when I wrote the first sentence rather than Apps that would allow media content to be streamed. But I went full circle in my post and got the point across anyway! ;)

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
why wouldn't they?

it would become a instant competitor in the gaming console market, especially if they make the games cross-compatible with iPad and iPhone (plus of course TV-specific ones to take advantage of the size and resolution of the screen).
Buy one version, own them all.

they just need to come up with a usable input device. probably at least initially a remote with a trackpad and gyroscopes could be enough.
basically a stripped-down ipod touch, with just the remote control functions.
a next step would be that te games play smultaneously on the iphone/ipad/itouch with mirroring.

Hey don't wii controllers use bluetooth?If this thing has bluetooth....but them you'd have the sensor bar issue.Oh well.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
From Businessweek,

“Even Jobs concedes the device is mainly for tech hobbyists, and most of the Sept. 1 event was dedicated to the revelation of a new line of iPods and a social networking feature that works within iTunes. What Jobs didn't say is that Apple wants to become king of the living room. He tells Bloomberg Businessweek that when the time is right, Apple could open an App Store for the TV that could do for television sets what all those apps have done for the iPhone. Asked if the iPad could evolve into the TV of tomorrow, Jobs shrugs and says, 'That's how I do most of my TV watching today.'

Still, the timing for such an evolution isn't upon us, Jobs says.”

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_37/b4194030216774.htm

Once the iPad craze settles down and that App Store really takes off, they'll introduce an Apple TV App Store. Hopefuly we will hear something by WWDC. If not, there's always next September.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I think Apps for Apple TV are possible.

But I don't think using existing iOS Appls on the Apple TV would be a good option.

- TVs are not as precise as iPod/iPad/iPhone screens. Manay TVs don't display a 1280x720 signal in a pixel accurate way. They interpolate to 1920x1080 or 1366x768 or whatever. So small fonts that are perfectly sharp on an iPad may become unreadable. Even PS3 / XBOX360 games that are designed for HDTV use very large fonts for that reason! A lot of TVs even crop away significant portions of the signals at the borders. If this is not considered in the design of the App, important information may become invisible.

- Many iOS Apps only work in portrait orientation. This does not translate well to TV. 720p would not be high enough for iPhone4/iPad Apps. For "old" iOS Apps it would result in lots of wasted space on the screen. I don't think it would be a good idea to use scrolling to solve that problem. If you have to scroll vertically over a virtual portrait mode screen and the game itself also implements its own vertical scrolling, things get complicated and akward.

- Touch is another problem. No, a remote with a touchpad is NOT the same as touching a screen directly. You can have 50 buttons on an iPad and it is easy to "hit" the right one instantly. If the touch pad is not a screen, you can play "hit or miss". On an iPad "point and click" are one action, on a touch pad without a screen these two steps have to be seperated like on a Notebook (move a pointer over the desired button and trigger a click as a second action). This does not integrate well with many touch screen gestures that iOS Apps use, "emulating" multitouch would be even more problematic.

- If an App uses gyro sensors, rotating just the controller is not the same as rotating the entire device. They could try to rotate the contents on the TV as well, but I don't think this works well in every situation.

All in all I don't think it would work well enough for Apple to implement it.

Just try out the iOS emulator in the dev tools. Maybe a good tool for debugging etc. but certainly not even close to a real device in usability.

Apple TV Apps should be designed specially for this kind of device.

Christian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.