New Apple TV will be 4K

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lke, Dec 28, 2014.

1. lke macrumors 6502a

The new Apple TV will be 4K

Netflix already has 4K with some TV's and because of that Apple will offer that new feature in the new Apple TV

Also you will be able to buy and rent some movies at 4K

By doing this Apple will be offering one of the most advanced players in the world. Sony has already a 4K player but I think it does not have Netflix included

You will be using 4K with

Itunes movies and tv shows
    Netflix
    Youtube
    Vimeo

And other channels that offer 4K

I am sure that before June we will have the new Apple TV with 4K. They will be offer sooner that new blue ray 4K

Another thing that I would like to see in the new Apple TV is a ssd flash drive to store some movies or tv shows. They could sell 2 versions one with a flash drive and the other without it

2. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Not enough people have 1080p tvs haha you think they will have a 4k one :)

its not happening people. Just buy the 3rd one sell it for 1/2 the price when the new one comes out people here have been talking about ATV 4 for they past 2 years about the updated version.

Have gotten 4 of these things used on craigslist for $50-60 bucks from people positive they will update them every time Apple has a press show

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

One day...

Not nearly enough bandwidth or 4k TVs in use to justify a 4k AppleTV.

I've had my 1080p TV for a little over two years and it's still more advanced than everyone except the most avid digitally-inclined people I know.

4. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

4K/H.265 support is definitely coming on the next apple tv. HDCP 2.2 is ready so it can be implemented for copy protection. Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon offer 4K content now. 4K blu-ray will be out by the end of 2015. 4K tvs are everywhere and actually affordable now.

Netflix 4K is 15 Mbps H.265, so itunes 4K should be similar. Most homes won't have any problem doing that.

It's naive to think apple will miss out on selling 4K content when everyone else will be pushing it this year.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

With enough compression and low bitrate there is.

Just look at their 1080p, horribly compressed. The difference in itunes 720p/1080p is miniscule. Ive stick with my old AppleTV2 for this reason alone.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It does have netflix on the sony 4k player (fmp-x10)

This. It really has less to do with 4k and more about the new h265 codec. That will be standard for all streaming devices released in 2015.

----------

That is actually not close to being true. The average speed in the US is under 10mbps. To maintain 4k 20mbps is recommended. Most people will not increase their internet cost to stream 4k. Not to mention the providers will start to enforce caps if people go crazy with 4k streaming, or they will increase the price. Disc format is more likely the future for 4k in its current state.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP I'll wish right with you but if you consider past evolutionary steps, before a new :apple:TV gets that kind of upgrade, at least the iPhone needs to be shooting 4K. That probably comes with storing such shoots as h.265. The hop to a 1080p :apple:TV (3/7/12) was preceded by iPhone 4s (10/14/11) going 1080p many months before. I would expect Apple to formally roll out a 4K iPhone first or, at best, simultaneously (though I expect the former).

As to the flash drive option, I'd much prefer normalizing the USB port so that just about any size of local storage (including fat hard drive or even raid storage) could be attached by those interested. Since the existing model already has a (not normalized) USB port, it seems like a more favorable scenario to accomplish what you (and I) want.

All these people talking about the lack of 4K (and 1080p) sets in place, etc are doing the same thing people were doing when some of us were wishing for a 1080p :apple:TV: "not enough bandwidth", "not enough storage", "until everyone has 1080p sets", etc. There's nothing wrong with a company like Apple taking a step ahead of the masses. Just as a 1080p :apple:TV could still flow 720p and SD to TV sets that couldn't play 1080p, a 4K :apple:TV could still flow 1080p, 720p and SD to TV sets not capable of 4K. Some part of the chain must step ahead to eventually motivate the masses to upgrade. We wish for "latest & greatest" in every other "coming soon" Apple release and then gripe if Apple didn't put the latest "wow!" into something... except this one thing, where we seem to take a view of waiting until everything else is completely in place and updated first and THEN it will make sense for Apple to go there too.

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

If HDCP 2.2 is being required for all 4K content, then a lot of people with 4K TV's are going to be mad because most 4K TV's don't support it.

My Samsung I bought this year has 1 HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI port (HDMI3). HDMI1 and 2 are not compatible. So I'll need to buy a new TV in order to support a TiVo 4K, AppleTV 4K, and a Bluray 4K player as they are not firmware upgradeable. (I think Samsung offers a OneConnect upgrade box, but with the price of it, I'd rather just get a new TV since I'll have to take mine off the wall to run the OneConnect cable anyhow.)

9. mattopotamus, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Most 4K tvs all have at least 1 port that supports HDCP 2.2 (maybe the first gen LG does not support it). A HDMI switch with 2.2 would fix the problem with only 1 port. There are already 2.2 receivers that would fix that problem. People who have already bought 4K tvs probably use receivers anyways.

The problem with 4K is that there is no set standards (10 bit, HDR, color rec, etc).

Total side note: I would love to see 4K help 3D take off. Full resolution passive 3D is pretty awesome!

10. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Exactly why I'm waiting to get a 4k television, seems the screens are ready before the entire industry. Even the new blu-Rays won't be true 4K

11. StinDaWg, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

StinDaWg macrumors 6502

The average U.S. speed is 11.4 Mbps. I have 50 Mbps down and will soon get a free upgrade to 100 Mbps. No data cap. I pay like $50 a month. There are still plenty of people who have a high enough connection. If they don't, and still want to stream 4K, they can just wait a few minutes for the stream to buffer before playing. Fiber is becoming available in more areas.

http://readwrite.com/2014/10/08/us-broadband-speed-global-rank-akamai-report

Huh? 4K blu-ray will be 3840 × 2160p. Same as all the 4K tvs.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

He is talking about the problems with no set standards. Most current 4K sets are rec.709, 8-bit, and lack HDR. Buying a 4K TV today will be like buying the early "HD capable" TVs.

Also the current crop of 4K sets do not support 60 FPS. Some do, but a lot do not.

Early next year we should be able to get 4K sets for $1000ish and are actually up to par.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm not really sure the point of this thread is. OP does not work for Apple, so anything said is pure speculation.

It will be 4K? Maybe. Maybe not. No one here knows for sure.

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Netflix recommends 25 Mbps for 4K Ultra HD.

Sucks for me, we only get 18 Mbps (on a good day).

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

15. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

The only sets that don't support 60 fps are the early Seiki's of the world. Anything from Vizio, Samsung, Sony, ect. currently for sale does output 4K at 60hz.

They might recommend 25 Mbps for overhead and to avoid buffering issues, but the actual streams are 15.6 Mbps.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-streaming-201404063713.htm

16. ikir macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not true, Apple 1080p is pretty good considering compression.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Apple is not known for entering markets or areas when these are still in their infancy, but well after they have matured, and they try to make things better and different. A 4K AppleTV is years away and I don't think that Apple cares about 4K a lot.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Actually most of the 2013 sets do not support 60 fps. They are not even HDMI 2.0.

Everything for sale today is, but the first gen sets were all still HDMI 1.4

19. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Which is exactly what I said. It will be 2015 in a few days. Why are we still talking about 2013 sets?

No, 1080p is worse than 720p.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That never made sense to me on the ATV, how 720p looks better than 1080p.

Just for comparison. The same way the 2013 sets were lacking very important specs, the current sets will be lacking very important specs. A TV is something most people upgrade every 5-10 years. I wouldn't want a TV that may be drastically different in the most important aspect (picture quality) than a set once standards are set.

side note: OLED smashes any 4K set (outside of 4k OLED) anyways. Contrast ratio is the most important part of PQ. Resolution is down near the bottom. That is yet another reason the standards are so important. 4K is its current state is solely a resolution bump. Add things like HDR paired with 10-bit and rec. 2020 and 4K can take it to a new level. The end of 2015 should provide more clarity.

21. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I presume StinDaWg meant only the quality of iTunes downloads here (both 720p and 1080p are about the same bitrate). On a properly encoded BDRip, 1080p will look better than 720p any day.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Agreed

What he said above. Most normal people won't notice the difference, but if you're looking you sure can.

And once you've had a taste of the highest quality possible, it's tough to go back.

23. MacVault, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

MacVault macrumors 65816

Apple TV Refresh - WHEN??

Any rumors on when we'll see an Apple TV refresh? Want to return Roku 2 and buy the next Apple TV player.

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You and me both. I was hoping something would at least be announced this year but Nada.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yeah. That is what I meant. It only looks better on iTunes content.