Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A refreshed Apple TV with an A12 Bionic chip or newer appears to be in development, according to 9to5Mac, which uncovered an unreleased model with the codename "T1125" in the tvOS 13.4 beta seeded yesterday.

Details about the new Apple TV are slim beyond the faster chip and its maximum supported resolution remaining 4K with HDR.

apple-tv-4.jpg

Rumors of a new Apple TV with an A12 chip began swirling last fall, but with a different codename of "J305." The device has typically been updated once every two years, with the first tvOS-based ?model launching in September 2015 and the ?Apple TV? 4K arriving in September 2017.

A faster Apple TV would certainly benefit Apple Arcade gaming and overall performance.

Article Link: New Apple TV With A12 Chip or Later Uncovered in tvOS 13.4 Beta

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple still sees this as a hobby project outside of the US, lots of features missing, I bought one about 2 ½ -3 years ago, rarely using it, but then again, I am not much into TV/films/series.
Should have sold it years back, or not buying it at all.
The remote sucks, they really need to rethink that one, too sensitive, something like LG's remote with a pointer would be much better.

Reactions: martyjmclean

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
I know Apple hates Google these days, but I would really hope they add VP9 support in hardware or even software at this point. YouTube has got to be one of their most popular apps, missing out on 4K content with the Apple TV is annoying. If I want to watch something in 4K, my TV has Chromecast built in and supports it, so I have to go that route.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
sounds like a waste unless Apple Arcade gets some worthwhile games. I played oceanhorn 2 and then cancelled
It’s always possible it’ll be a silent upgrade just so they don’t have to keep producing the a10x just for a low volume product.

Reactions: SDJim

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
The current Apple TV 4K does everything I need an Apple TV to do, including understanding HEVC. What I want, since the hardware can do it, is for Apple to finally release a tvOS version that supports two simultaneous Bluetooth audio streams. I think it’s pretty absurd that they enabled this it in iOS while ignoring it in tvOS.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
The current Apple TV 4K does everything I need an Apple TV to do, including understanding HEVC. What I want, since the hardware can do it, is for Apple to finally release a tvOS version that supports two simultaneous Bluetooth audio streams. I think it’s pretty absurd that they enabled this it in iOS while ignoring it in tvOS.
You mean sharing the same audio stream to different earphones? That is there dude! earphones must be bluetooth 5.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.