Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
You're clueless.

I'm speaking from first hand experience. I buy two new phones every year, an iPhone and an Android phone. AT&T spends millions advertising for customers like me that spend the money, maintain multiple lines, and buy lots of phones. My lifetime value to them is not something they take lightly.

Loyalty comes with great rewards.

No, I'm right. There are countless treads here of AT&T throttling Unlimited Data people.

You can choose to believe what you want, but they, like every other corporation, doesn't "care" about you. You are a number. They will stop Unlimited Data in the future. No matter how much you spend, once they decide it's over, it's over.

LOL at "multiple lines" meaning two. Two. Yeah, they would close up shop without you.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No, I'm right. There are countless treads here of AT&T throttling Unlimited Data people.

FYI, throttling unlimitied data ≠ FORCING people to switch to shared data. You're getting AT&T and Verizon confused.

While it is entirely possible that it could happen, it doesn't seem likely looking at AT&Ts history and how they've handled this kind of situation in the past.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Unfortunately my FAN does not apply to data, it never has. Some do, some don't.

It will with the shared plan. My bill, with a 20% fan discount, goes from $145 to $125; taking the 20% off the $100. Nicest part is, my company pays exactly $125 monthly reimbursement for cell phones. :D I now have no bill at all, LOL. (Well, OK, I have to pay the fees and taxes above $125, but still)

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Even if it didn't apply to the shared data plan I was on before I switched to the new plans? Interesting. Looking forward (sortof) to my next bill. :)

That's how it worked for me. My FAN has always discounted the shared portion of any style of family plan.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013

You can choose to believe what you want, but they, like every other corporation, doesn't "care" about you. You are a number. They will stop Unlimited Data in the future. No matter how much you spend, once they decide it's over, it's over.

LOL at "multiple lines" meaning two. Two. Yeah, they would close up shop without you.

You are embarrassing yourself by assuming and failing to either read or comprehend my post. Apparently you don't know what first hand experience means.

I mentioned I use two phones, you assumed that was it...wrong. My family plan has a total of seven lines. I've never been throttled, yes I know some users have been throttled but no one I know has.

You fail to understand contact law, but you're only here to argue, I get that.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
You are embarrassing yourself by assuming and failing to either read or comprehend my post. Apparently you don't know what first hand experience means.

I mentioned I use two phones, you assumed that was it...wrong. My family plan has a total of seven lines. I've never been throttled, yes I know some users have been throttled but no one I know has.

You fail to understand contact law, but you're only here to argue, I get that.

Seven lines means nothing to AT&T. Neither does 10. Or 50. Or 100. You are a drop in the ocean to them. They will dump Unlimited and when they do you can complain all you want. But you won't get anywhere. They will get rid of it or force you to change. It's only a matter of time. Many others are being throttled but I'm sure your not :rolleyes:

I love how your two lines suddenly became 7. Nice change!

Contacts change all the time. It's when people post ways to get out of EFTs. They can change unlimited and you either accept it..or you don't. It's happened numerous times in the past decade with AT&T.

I'm also a but confused. Can your explain this post in another thread? Did you get 4 new lines in the past week?

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18720100/

A ten year AT&T customer, that's very happy with their service, I recently called and pleasantly asked what they could do for me. My existing plan consisted of three lines, two with ETF's of over $245 each.

They volunteered to switch me to the latest mobile share plan, including paying off both ETF's for me, as they thanked me for my loyalty. I was also upgraded from 6GB of data to 10 GB. Along with unlimited talk and text, they reduced my monthly bill below $110.

So are you on Unlimited or not? 3 lines or 7?

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Didn't realize there were options for less than 10gb mobile share.

Postpaid has the advantage over gophone in pricing all around for off contract customers with 2 or more lines. About time!!

Now show some love to people with single lines.

It's great to see people with multiple lines getting better rates :)

It really would be nice if they started to take care of people with one line.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
So.... I just received my bill from AT&T.

Switched to this plan with 3 lines + ipad. Bill should be $155 plus taxes.

My bill is $251. They put the new plan on but charged me $40 per phone line instead of the $15 I was quoted for online.

In addition, they double dipped on february 4th. They charged me the full $100 for the 10gb plan (which is fine) AND they charged me a prorated charge for 2/4 for my old plan of $3 plus a prorated charge per iphone line of like $1.XX.

Time to call AT&T to straighten this out.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
My bill is $251. They put the new plan on but charged me $40 per phone line instead of the $15 I was quoted for online.

Have seen this error quite frequently, since the system doesn't seem to be fully adjusted to apply the credits accurately yet.

jehartley

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012

In addition, they double dipped on february 4th. They charged me the full $100 for the 10gb plan (which is fine) AND they charged me a prorated charge for 2/4 for my old plan of $3 plus a prorated charge per iphone line of like $1.XX.

That's weird. I have the same as you and made the switch last week. I got my bill and it is right. It shows $40 for each additional line, but underneath that it shows a $25 credit for each. Bill is as advertised.

Nathan21585

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Central Florida

What happens is that if you switch your plan before your close date you will have prorated charges for the change. It prorated the $40 price because you won't receive the credit unless it's for a full month.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Someone correct me if I'm missing something here:

I have my mom on my plan, she has a 4 and I have the 5s.

Currently we pay $150/month for unlimited talk and text with 4GB of data

The 10GB Mobile Share Value Plan still has unlimited talk and text for $130/month

There has to be some fine print that I'm missing here. If there isn't, I'm contemplating switching us to save $20/month.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There has to be some fine print that I'm missing here. If there isn't, I'm contemplating switching us to save $20/month.

You save $20 a month as long as you're using the phones you have now. If you don't plan on upgrading either phone anytime soon, this may be a good deal. When you DO upgrade, you'll have to choose to pay out of pocket for the phone or choose a financing/subsidy model that will effect your monthly bill.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You save $20 a month as long as you're using the phones you have now. If you don't plan on upgrading either phone anytime soon, this may be a good deal. When you DO upgrade, you'll have to choose to pay out of pocket for the phone or choose a financing/subsidy model that will effect your monthly bill.

That's what I thought after my post. I usually buy my phones at full price. My mom on the other hand, she's not big into tech, so she will use her 4 until it dies.

I appreciate the response.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
What happens is that if you switch your plan before your close date you will have prorated charges for the change. It prorated the $40 price because you won't receive the credit unless it's for a full month.

When I switched (online), it asked if I wanted to do it on my bill cycle or the following month's bill cycle. Either way, I had to choose the start if a bill cycle.

Last edited:

NickG420

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
In Wayne Gacey's Basement
I don't understand why it's taking so long for my change to take effect.

I made the change online 2 days ago and talked to someone on the phone when the system would error out when checking order status. CSR assured me the order was in the system and should be taking effect immediately. However when I go to my account overview online it still shows me under the old family plan with roll over..What gives?

EDIT:Just spoke with someone through Online Chat who forced the changes through.

Last edited:

PJS5boys

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
Confused?

Very confused and uneducated by all these plans. Currently I have Family/Talk 700. Here is what I pay:

user1 (4s) $60 Family/Talk
$30 Unlimited Text
$20 300MB Data
user2(4s) $10
$20 300MB data
user3(4) $10
$20 300B data
user4(basic) $10

Total $180

All 4 phones have contracts until Sept 2014 but when I called we are eligible for upgrades.

1. If I keep everything the same, when September comes will they increase my bill?
2. If I go in before Sept and want to get newer phones, can I keep my plan and get the subsidized phones?
3. What if I want to change the dumb phone to a smartphone. Can I keep this plan and just add the $20 data?
4. Can I keep this plan and add a 5th line.
5. I hear people talking about getting phone from craigslist. If I want to keep this plan will at&t let me bring in my own phone?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said I have not looked into all these plans very much in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Very confused and uneducated by all these plans. Currently I have Family/Talk 700. Here is what I pay:

user1 (4s) $60 Family/Talk
$30 Unlimited Text
$20 300MB Data
user2(4s) $10
$20 300MB data
user3(4) $10
$20 300B data
user4(basic) $10

Total $180

All 4 phones have contracts until Sept 2014 but when I called we are eligible for upgrades.

If you go with the 10GB plan, you'll pay $100 + 4 x $15. You'd save $20 a month compared to what you're paying now.

1. If I keep everything the same, when September comes will they increase my bill?

No, your contract will end and you'll still only be paying $160 a month.

2. If I go in before Sept and want to get newer phones, can I keep my plan and get the subsidized phones?

If you plan on upgrading your phones every 2 years, your current FamilyTalk plans may be the best choice for you.

3. What if I want to change the dumb phone to a smartphone. Can I keep this plan and just add the $20 data?

On your current FamilyTalk plan, yes.

4. Can I keep this plan and add a 5th line.

On your current FamilyTalk plan, yes.

5. I hear people talking about getting phone from craigslist. If I want to keep this plan will at&t let me bring in my own phone?

Of course. AT&T has always allowed this.

PJS5boys

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
Trade in phones?

All 4 of my family members are currently on the Talk/Family 700 plan. All four of our contracts end in SEpt 2014. If I switch over now to the $160 Next will they give me money for my 2 4s's and 1 4 phones?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
All 4 of my family members are currently on the Talk/Family 700 plan. All four of our contracts end in SEpt 2014. If I switch over now to the $160 Next will they give me money for my 2 4s's and 1 4 phones?

If you're planning on upgrading now, you may be better off sticking with your current plan. Keep in mind that the $160 per month does not include the monthly payments that you'd owe for each phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.