Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So say I want 3 iPhones and a basic phone. For $100 I get the 10gb of data, then $15 per line, on top of the $160 I pay $32.50 for each iphone line.

Yes, depending on how you do it.

If you did at&t next 20, It would be $160 plus $32.50 per iPhone.

If you did at&t next 26, it would be $160 plus $25 per iPhone.

If you did a contract, it would be $160 plus $25 per iPhone, but you would have to pay $200 upfront when getting the phone.

Or you could buy the phones outright, $650 for each iPhone, but the monthly would be the same at $160.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Thats about it, except you would still have the option of getting a subsidy every 2 years like you currently do, so it would be the price of the phone plus $25 a month for 24 months after that.

That sounds like a pretty bad deal though, I'd be paying almost the same per month as with Next ($6 less) and have to pay $600 upfront right?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes, depending on how you do it.

If you did at&t next 20, It would be $160 plus $32.50 per iPhone.

If you did at&t next 26, it would be $160 plus $25 per iPhone.

In both of these situations you pay $650 for the iPhone, but it's spread out over 20 or 26 months.

If you did a contract, it would be $160 plus $25 per iPhone, but you would have to pay $200 upfront when getting the phone.

You'd pay $800 for the iPhone here. I'd stay away from this model.

Or you could buy the phones outright, $650 for each iPhone, but the monthly would be the same at $160.

I'd like to see service prices come down more, but this model right here works perfectly fine for me.

----------

That sounds like a pretty bad deal though, I'd be paying almost the same per month as with Next ($6 less) and have to pay $600 upfront right?

Where are you getting $600 up front?

If you subsidize your phone with AT&T, they're going to charge you $25 more per month for the 24 months of the contract, and you'd pay the "contract price" for the iPhone. A 16GB model is $200. So a 16GB iPhone costs $200 + ($25 x 24) = $800. Not a very good deal at all...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Yes, it would be $600 upfront, but would save $7.50 a month per iPhone, its not exactly the best deal, you would be better off getting the Next 26 and pay the $25 a month for 26 months instead, but just throwing this option out there if you can find a sale.

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
If anyone is curious if the new plans would save them any money or not, just factor the plan as though you were under contract, add $25 per line, and see if thats less than what your paying now.

Right now I have 9 Lines and pay $360 a month, if I were to switch to these new plans it would drop to $235, a savings of $125. However with my current set up I get 9 upgrades a year, so if I were to say do the same and upgrade those lines with the new plan, i would be paying $460, an increase of $100 dollars a month.

Also, the at&t next isn't quite as bad now as everyone is making it out. Remember when you trade the phone in you still owe on the phone, so it would be the same as selling your old one to subsidize the new one. So lets say you get an iPhone, at&t's website is showing that is $32.50 per month for 12 months, thats $650 when you pay it off, same as if you buy outright. Now if at the 12 month mark you decide to trade in your phone for a new one, that means you still had 8 months of payments left, which at $32.50 a month would be $260. So if getting the extra $40-$140 by going through ebay or craigslist is worth it to you your better off selling and buying yourself, but if you don't want to deal with that, your basically only losing out $100 a year to not deal with that.

Totally agree...if you're someone who uses their phone until they just don't work anymore this is a definite sweet deal. Example I have 5 iPhone 5s's which now I pay $175 a month total for 10gb plan. Let's assume I plan to keep these phones and not upgrade to new phones for 5 years. My cost will be $175 per month for 5 years. Sweet!!!!

Now for those who want the greatest and latest phone every year, this is where things get tricky. Your bill WILL increase if you go the Next program route(increase $32.50 per month per line). Using my example above. When the iPhone 6 releases and I opt out for the Next program for 5 new shiny iPhone 6's, My bill will increase by ($32.50 x 5) =$162.50. My total bill will increase to $337.50 per month($175 current bill + $162.50 installment plans)....ouch!!!!

Let's say you go the upgrade route(2yr contract) and receive subsidized phones(increase $25 per line upgraded) but you also pay the $199/299/399 cost upfront going this route. Ok $25 x 5= $125. You can expect to now pay $300 a month...a lesser ouch but ouch!!!! Let's not forget your out of pocket costs you paid upfront for the subsidization, $199/$299/$399 per line. That $1000/$1500/$2000, respectively for 5 phones.

Me personally, I'm going to do any and everything possible to keep my bill at $175 indefinitely. Like selling my iPhones right before Apple officially announces or release a new iPhone to maximize my profits to go towards outright buying the new iPhone 6,7,8. I'm guessing I can sell them for $350-$400 each netting me $1750 - $2000 towards purchasing new iPhones. Let's assume Apple keeps the same pricing scheme, I will have to come out of my pocket with $600 - $850 for 5 new shiny iPhone 6's.

This will allow me to simply stay away from under the claws of the carriers. Paying them only for their phone/data services and not the phone.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Me personally, I'm going to do any and everything possible to keep my bill at $175 indefinitely. Like selling my iPhones right before Apple officially announces or release a new iPhone to maximize my profits to go towards outright buying the new iPhone 6,7,8. I'm guessing I can sell them for $350-$400 each netting me $1750 - $2000 towards purchasing new iPhones. Let's assume Apple keeps the same pricing scheme, I will have to come out of my pocket with $600 - $850 for 5 new shiny iPhone 6's.

This will allow me to simply stay away from under the claws of the carriers. Paying them only for their phone/data services and not the phone.

This right here is the way to go...

If you have a few phones you can rotate through, you can wait a few months after release and pick up the latest and greatest at a bit of a discount, usually at least avoiding sales tax. This is what the carriers really want, to stop subsidizing phones and just sell service. The whole "next" program is just because they have to, I'm sure they don't like loaning you their money for free :)

jehartley

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Question... Has anyone checked their online account and verified that the 10GB Value Share plan $100 price and $15 per line shows up? I switched over early Sunday morning.

My account reflects the old price for 10gb and $40 a line for 5 lines. Just curious because carriers are notorious of making requested changes to your account, but when the bill comes out it doesn't reflect those changes. Resulting in multiple and long aggravating calls to straighten everything out after the fact.

Yes, the rep said he didn't know why they were doing it this way, but that is right. When your bill comes it will show $40 per extra phone, but will have a $25 discount showing right under it (in effect making it $15 per extra phone).

Weird that they are doing it that way.

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
This right here is the way to go...

If you have a few phones you can rotate through, you can wait a few months after release and pick up the latest and greatest at a bit of a discount, usually at least avoiding sales tax. This is what the carriers really want, to stop subsidizing phones and just sell service. The whole "next" program is just because they have to, I'm sure they don't like loaning you their money for free :)

I agree totally!! We have become so dependent on the subsidized method that we as a society will have to think outside the box in order to save money, with the introduction of these new carrier plans.

----------

Yes, the rep said he didn't know why they were doing it this way, but that is right. When your bill comes it will show $40 per extra phone, but will have a $25 discount showing right under it (in effect making it $15 per extra phone).

True, however a forum member assisted me earlier on how to view my online current bill total for the new Value Plan.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
A coworker with four smartphones and one iPad went from $235 to $170 a month. He was on a 6GB shared plan and now has 10GB. Gotta love saving $780 a year!

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
Easiest way to calculate whether to switch is this

New plans - ($18.75 (using iPhone $650 price ($199 contract price) subsidy per line per month).

So my plan is $70 (700 min) with any mobile rollover plus 10 landlines (essentially unlimited minutes) $20 unlimited family texts plus $30 data x 4 So $210 a month (before taxes, discounts etc).

So if u factor the subsidy in

It works like this
$210 - ($18.75 x 4 lines) That's $210-75.

My "true monthly cost" when factoring subsidies is $135 a month

Compare this with the new mobile share plans which is $160/month.

So the new plans are not good for those who have older plans. It literally will cost me $25 more per month. $300 more each year. $600 more over 24 months.

That's why ATT is trying to be creative. It's a good deal for some. Not a good deal for others like me.

the way i see it:

We have 4 iphone 5 which was $230
changed to 10 gig plan $160

when and if one of us wants to upgrade we flip iphone on craigslist and pay cash for difference, ipone 5 still going for about $300 on craigslist

so each upgrade is $350, if and when we upgrade.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
In both of these situations you pay $650 for the iPhone, but it's spread out over 20 or 26 months.

You'd pay $800 for the iPhone here. I'd stay away from this model.

I'd like to see service prices come down more, but this model right here works perfectly fine for me.

----------

Where are you getting $600 up front?

If you subsidize your phone with AT&T, they're going to charge you $25 more per month for the 24 months of the contract, and you'd pay the "contract price" for the iPhone. A 16GB model is $200. So a 16GB iPhone costs $200 + ($25 x 24) = $800. Not a very good deal at all...

2 32gb phones would be $600 total upfront, plus the $25/mo. I agree that it's not a good deal.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
the way i see it:

We have 4 iphone 5 which was $230
changed to 10 gig plan $160

when and if one of us wants to upgrade we flip iphone on craigslist and pay cash for difference, ipone 5 still going for about $300 on craigslist

so each upgrade is $350, if and when we upgrade.

The way I see if. Your next iPhone won't be $230. It will be $650. U aren't going to get any more subsidies.

U see. ATT has done the math. They are relying on people not doing the real math.

Your next iPhone from now on will be $650. Sure u can resell for $300-350 in 1-2 years.

But the same can be said for staying on subsidies. Reselling the same phones u got for $199 on contract for $300-350 every 2 years.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
The way I see if. Your next iPhone won't be $230. It will be $650. U aren't going to get any more subsidies.

U see. ATT has done the math. They are relying on people not doing the real math.

Your next iPhone from now on will be $650. Sure u can resell for $300-350 in 1-2 years.

But the same can be said for staying on subsidies. Reselling the same phones u got for $199 on contract for $300-350 every 2 years.

Interesting to to see if iPhone 6 will still have the intro price of $199. If not, then many would find it better to go either to prepaid or T-Mobile, assuming there exists adequate coverage in their area.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Along with the subsidies going away, the monthly bill goes down too. In my situation I actually save money even if I pay full price every two years for my iPhones.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
A coworker with four smartphones and one iPad went from $235 to $170 a month. He was on a 6GB shared plan and now has 10GB. Gotta love saving $780 a year!

Just wait till they find out when they have to buy new iPhones in the future. They are gojng to pay full price or most will spread the payments out. Considering ATT charges around $32/iPhone/month on the payment plans.

Their $170/month will go right back to $270 or more each month when their monthly payments are added right back.

Gotta love ATT.

Like I said. The bean counters have done their math.

This is a back door way to look like they are giving value. But what they accomplish is to reduce the subsidy and people don't even realize it.

----------

Along with the subsidies going away, the monthly bill goes down too. In my situation I actually save money even if I pay full price every two years for my iPhones.
How?

Explain. Remember. Throw out your current iPhone which was subsidized. All iPhone from now on are full price.

Like I said. The subsidy is around $18/month/line.

Edit. I see u pay $230/4 iPhones.

So it's $230-$18(4). So around $230-72. About $160. So it's a wash for you. In your case the new plans are ok. But not a real savings.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Are phone that were on contract still on contract?

I switched today to the My Current Mobile Share Plan. We have 5 phones, all were on contract with our previous plan. I did not add any new phones when I switched plan. I understand that My Current Mobile Share Plan does not require a contract. Does it mean that the 5 phones I have are now out of contract? According to a CS representative on the chat line that is not true, she said that the new plan does not cancel the existing contracts...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Interesting to to see if iPhone 6 will still have the intro price of $199. If not, then many would find it better to go either to prepaid or T-Mobile, assuming there exists adequate coverage in their area.

It all depends on ATT/verizon. If they both collude and sell the iPhones at $299. We will know the answer.

What we do know is the two main players dictate the market. Before the primary lines if u met certain conditions could get upgrades every 12 months. Secondary lines around 18-21 months.

Now all lines are full 24 months. In essence. Those were subsidy decreases by forcing full 24 months already.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
It all depends on ATT/verizon. If they both collude and sell the iPhones at $299. We will know the answer.

I'd bet it'll be at > $199, in which case, it'll likely be better for some to either (1) forgo the upgrade, or (2) buy the phone outright, and opt for prepay or T-Mobile.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How?

Explain. Remember. Throw out your current iPhone which was subsidized. All iPhone from now on are full price.

Y'all are making this too complicated. You can't compare the plans directly, because there are compromises made on either side. In the example below, the family plan doesn't have unlimited minutes, but total data is 12GB, whereas the Value share plan has unlimited minutes but total data is only 10GB. The math doesn't work out so well if you have less than 4 lines though. In my case we have 5 lines, and two of them use very little data.

Anyway, moving on...lets look at the old National 700 with rollover family plan with 4 iPhones:

$69.99/month for the first two iPhones
$9.99 x 2/month for the next two iPhones
$30/month for family text
$30 x 4/month for 3GB data

$239.97 total monthly cost
x 24 months
$5759.28 2 year plan cost
+ $200 x 4/ 16GB iPhone 5s

$6559.28 2 year total cost, including new iPhones

Now lets look at the new 10GB plan, with the same 4 iPhones:

$100/month for 10GB shared data/minutes and text
$15 x 4/month for 4 iPhones

$160.00 total monthly cost
x 24 months
$3840.00 2 year plan cost
+ $650.00 x 4 16GB iPhone 5s

$6440.00 2 year total cost, including new iPhones

*edit* The difference is even more substantial if you don't ALWAYS upgrade every two years. 3 of the 5 users on my plan use their phones until they die, and will be happy with hand-me-down phones from my wife and I. You're not able to save money like that on a subsidized plan; they really only make sense if you always upgrade every 2 years.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

So it is $100 for the 10GB data plan and $15 for every extra phone that is under current contract right now. But say if I wanted an iPhone 6 at a later time would I still have the option to get the upgrade at the normal subsidized price of 299 or 399? It would then be $40 instead of $15 right is this how it works?

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
I just came back from AT&T to switch my plan to the new mobile share plan. I went from $320 (5 smartphone with 2gb each) to $200 (5 smartphone's and 15gb). It's like AT&T give's me $120 credit and 5gb for free! I understand that it will go up $20 for each line I upgrade but I rather pay a lower monthly plan than stay in contract. THANK YOU AT&T FOR KEEPING ME AS A CUSTOMER!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Y'all are making this too complicated. You can't compare the plans directly, because there are compromises made on either side. In the example below, the family plan doesn't have unlimited minutes, but total data is 12GB, whereas the Value share plan has unlimited minutes but total data is only 10GB. The math doesn't work out so well if you have less than 4 lines though. In my case we have 5 lines, and two of them use very little data.

Anyway, moving on...lets look at the old National 700 with rollover family plan with 4 iPhones:

x 24 months

x 24 months

*edit* The difference is even more substantial if you don't ALWAYS upgrade every two years. 3 of the 5 users on my plan use their phones until they die, and will be happy with hand-me-down phones from my wife and I. You're not able to save money like that on a subsidized plan; they really only make sense if you always upgrade every 2 years.

If doesn't make a difference after 24 months. In dec 2013. ATT was already offering those on mobile share who became off contract $15 off each month per line.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/12/att-gives-15-per-month-discounts-to-off-contract-customers/

crazyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
currently i have 10gb mobile shared plan with 8 smartphones....all the 8 lines have 18 more months contract left

here is my math and it suggests me to switch to new plans....please correct me if i am wrong

for 8 lines with the current 10gb plan and subsidy i will be paying
--------------------------------------------------------------
price per line = $30
monthly fee per line = $5.5 on avg
plan cost = 120 - 28% FAN discount = 86.4

per month = ((30*8) + 86.4) + (8 * 5.5)= $370 approx

for 24-months = 370 * 24 = 8880

upfront cost per device = $199+tax(7%) = $213

total upfront cost = 8 * 213 = 1704 (if we upgraded the phones on the release day or 1st 30 days of release....if we upgrade during promotions we can reduce this total cost by at least $800 total)

Total out of pocket cost : 8880 + 1704 = 10584(all lines upgraded @ $199/line) or 8880 + 904 = 9784 (all lines upgraded @ $99.99/line) excluding phones resale value

bill for 2 months after contract = (86.4 + (15 * 8)) * 2 = $412 + tax = $456 approx
Price per line for 24 months = 10584/(24 * 8) = $55 or 9784/(24 * 8) = $51

Price per line for 26 months with subsidy = (10584 + 456)/(26 * 8) = 11040/(26 * 8) = $53 or (9784 + 456)/(26*8) = 10240/(26*8)=$49.23

for 8 lines with the new 10gb plan and NEXT-18 plan(and keeps the phone by paying 26 installments) i will be paying
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
price per line = 15 + 25 = $40
monthly fees per line = $5.5 on avg
plan cost = 100 - 28% FAN = $72
per month = ((40 * 8) + 72) = 392 + (5.5 * 8) = $436 approx

per 24-months = 436 * 24 = 10464

extra 2 installments for each phone will be (2 * 25) *8 = $400

Total upfront sales tax for 8 lines = $40 * 8 = $320 minimum

Total out of pocket cost = 10464 + 400 + 320 = 11184 excluding phones resale value

Price per line for 26 months with NEXT = $53.76

by keeping my current subsidized plan i either save $144 or $944 over the period of 26 depending on when i upgrade my phone

If i switch to new 10gb plan i will pay ((15*8) + 72) * 18 = 3456+taxes for the next 18 months

If i don't switch i will pay ((30*8) + 86.4) * 18= 5875+taxes for the next 18 months

if i switch i will be saving $2419 for the next 18 months

so i guess my savings over the next 18 months will compensate for my loss on NEXT plan atleast for 2 * 26-month cycles

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

x 24 months

x 24 months

So 4 lines in the new mobile share is about the break even point.

For those who like to mix and match flip phone (no data) and smartphone. It's a no brainer to stick with traditional subsidized model. Since we can always upgrade to high end iPhone/android on flip line. Have grandma continue using flip line and use new iPhone purchased with grandma line on our current line.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Just wait till they find out when they have to buy new iPhones in the future. They are going to pay full price or most will spread the payments out. ...
This is a back door way to look like they are giving value. But what they accomplish is to reduce the subsidy and people don't even realize it.....

Yes. But when people have to really LOOK at and REALIZE the cost of that shiny new phone, many will delay the decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.