New Baseband Exploit Found [Updated 2/11]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thelatinist, Feb 10, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

In case anyone hasn't been following the relevant Twitter accounts, MuscleNerd seems to be confirming an exploitable crash discovered by sherif_hashim in the new 05.12.01 baseband. The Dev Team has the exploit, and whether they choose to release an updated ultrasn0w now or wait for 4.0 is entirely up to them (I suspect the latter). But today's a good day, whatever they decide.

From MuscleNerd's Twitter:
    Update from the Dev-Team Blog 02/11/2010:

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

This is awesome! I think they should wait for 4.0 :)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, I hope they keep it for when it counts.
    3.1.3 is nothing compared to what 4.0 could be along with maybe a jb for the next iPhone.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why should they wait? Isn't it likely that 4.0 will have a new baseband?

5. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

yeah but apple probably won't patch the exploit if they don't know what it is =P

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

now all they need is to make an untethered jailbreak! lol.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

@ thelatinest

When I messaged you about this, I passed on posting it, fearing it might start a "whine-fest".

But, to my surprise, not bad so far :D

8. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I was a little worried, too. But I figured someone would post it eventually and it might as well be done right. ;)

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well u never know, maybe Apple will use a totally different thing on the OS 4.0

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If only there were any connection between the baseband and iBoot :(

If it turns out Apple has plugged this hole in 4.0, at least they can then theoretically release an unlock based on this exploit for everyone still on 3.1.x...

11. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Good news!

Sounds like good news! Hope the exploits keep mounting. Would be nice if there were enuf usable workarounds to spare one for those of us stranded at 3.1.3. In any case, will keep watching these boards and think many times before upgrading again.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Update (via a tweet)

Musclenerd confirmed it working :)))) timing of 5.12 unlock release is totally the dev team opinion /via @sherif_hashim - Good job sir!
    about 19 hours ago from Tweetie

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Whether we get to use it or not, this is good news to know that their are still holes out there. Nice work!

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hold the exploit until 4.0 is released... let us just ride blacksnow.

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I agree, I say hold onto it until 4.0. Maybe this will let the unlockers who updated sweat a bit.
    Make them finally understand how important it is to NOT update every time they see a popup in iTunes. I'm on ATT, so I'm not one of them, I'm just sick of the whiners saying they updated and their lives are ruined. Just my $0.02 :)

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This can go either way. If they use the exploit now and put out a JB and perhaps unlock, Apple will fix the hole.

If they don't, are they going to put all their eggs in a single basket and hope that Apple doesn't find the exploit themselves all the way through to 4.0? That's a long time to hope and put a single bet on.

Like I said, I see it going both ways, but they could be, as the saying goes, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

BL.

17. leons macrumors 6502

Someone clarify for me (and others) :confused:

Does THIS new exploit give any hope (regardless of when DT may release it) to
    3.3/3GS/New Bootrom users?

18. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no because you cant jailbreak yet. once u can jailbreak on 3.1.3 for 3gs's with new bootrom, then you can unlock with the new exploit...whenever they decide to release it. so probably not for a while.

19. leons macrumors 6502

ok....so no "hope" yet = the POSSIBILITY that a new bootrom exploit for 3.1.3 will never be found

20. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think you are confusing two things. You seem to be talking about the new bootrom which results in tethered jailbreaks. That's not what this exploit is for. This is an exploit in the baseband (a.k.a. modem firmware), and could allow phones with the new baseband to SIM-unlocked for use on any carrier. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Excellent news. :) Hopefully this will unleash a new generation of unlocks.

22. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

The all-eggs-in-one-basket analogy is misleading. It's more like putting the one egg you have in a basket rather than eating it right now. Sure, that basket might fail and you might never get to eat that egg for breakfast tomorrow morning; but if you eat it now you'll definitely have dry toast tomorrow.

Holding off releasing this exploit might only have a 50% chance of giving us an unlock for 4.0, but that 50% chance becomes 0% if it's used now. And who knows whether there will be another exploit? I think a 50% chance of unlocking 4.0 is more important than a 100% chance of unlocking 3.1.3.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    The way it is now it will mostly benefit those that were not carefull and updated to 3.1.3 without thinking. Hope they don't bite into Apples game and give away the next potential unlock that could unlock all 3G, 3GS and maybe the next iPhone

24. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Seems the Dev-Team is being cautiously optimistic. I've just updated the original post with a quote from their latest blog entry.

25. pcs are junk macrumors 65816