iPhone 5 or earlier New battery with 4% wear level, is it normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gonz1, Jan 8, 2018.

1. gonz1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I got the battery replaced, and Battery Life app shows 4% wear level (without any charge / discharge cicle). but for some reason the app doesn't show the cycles, I think it's due to the IOS version. Do you think it may have been an used battery?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS apps are not accurate when it comes to battery information. Your best bet is using something like Conconut Battery app on a Mac.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Who replaced the battery?

4. newellj macrumors 603

Battery Life and all other apps cannot accurately measure battery charge capacity ("health") in iOS 11. You can't rely on what the app reports. Use Coconut Battery and/or realize that it isn't worth worrying about inaccurate information. :)

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What iPhone is this? Also, who replaced the battery? Did you perform a power cycle (or two) on the battery? Is it an Apple-branded battery?

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

7. gonz1, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery was replaced in a repair service store (Iphone 5s). Actually, I think Battery Life is very accurate. I also used Ibackupbot to test the battery, and get more information and it showed 620 charge cycles, so it was clearly an used battery. So I went there to ask for a new battery. Now, the new battery shows 0% wear level in Battery Life, and zero charge cycles in Ibackupbot (even though I have completed a cycle), along with some other information:

CycleCount: 0
    DesignCapacity: 1510 (Isn't too low?)
    FullChargeCapacity: 1600

I don't really understand DesignCapacity and FullChargeCapacity.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Lets clear this up. you had your battery replaced at a non apple authorized repair shop?

9. gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm not from US. this is usual here.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Battery life and Ibackupbot are not accurate at all and are only estimates. Just because you think it’s accurate does not make it so. Trust me, and everyone else here. It’s not accurate.

The only accurate one is coconut battery as that reads the battery hardware directly.

11. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

still, showing 600 charge cycles on a "new" battery is pretty indicative of fraud.

12. gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The previous battery was design capacity: 1550 and the new one 1510. Does it means that this second battery has less capacity?

I think the apps are relatively accurate, because after I demanded a new battery and tested it, it was actually 0% wear level, I don't think it's just coincidence.

13. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

na, it' a estimate. you're fine

14. newellj macrumors 603

What version of iOS are you using? On your phone, it's possible that BL is giving you correct information from iOS. I forget exactly when Apple knocked out access to that data via iOS. Perhaps your phone is still on an earlier version.

15. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

Seems likely that the 600 was actually data from the old battery, if it's now showing 0.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Correct. I’m just talking about the accuracy of those apps.

Again, you can think whatever you want. But know you are wrong. Starting in iOS 10, Apple removed all indication of battery health from developers. It’s all hidden on iOS apps now and thus, it is not accurate. They are guessing based on the current voltage of the device. That’s the only thing they have access to now. The only app that’s accurate is coconut battery because it’s reading the device via lightning cable or WiFi and goes around using private APIs to see hidden information.

17. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

OP said himself he went back and got the battery replaced again.... so no.... it doesn’t

18. gonz1, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. New battery shows 0 cycles.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    Where did you got that information? They removed some data from the app; cycle charges, temperature, and some other things I believe. But who tells you that the reaming information (like wear level) is not accurate?

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Because they removed mAh information as well. This has been known for almost 2 years now. Previously developers of these apps have claimed this to be so.

I have 6 iOS devices, not one of them is accurate with Battery Life compared to coconut, not even close.

Directly from the developer: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-data-cycles-health-etc-gone-in-ios-10.1977954/

20. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

I'd argue that he didn't specify at any point that the battery was replaced again, just that he asked for one...but that would be taking pedantry a little too far ;)

21. newellj macrumors 603

And this discussion is interesting: http://www.rogeriohirooka.com/2016/09/01/some-api-changes-on-ios-10/#battery

I do have one iOS device that still runs Battery Life accurately. It's an iPod Touch that capped out (and was basically croaked by) iOS 9.3.5.

22. gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it was replaced again, maybe I wasn't specific.

23. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

It was pretty clear to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

25. gonz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Four days of use, and again:

Battery Life app:
    4% wear level
    Capacity: 1500/1560 mah (96%)

Ibackupbot:
    CycleCount: 3
    DesignCapacity: 1510
    FullChargeCapacity: 1500

Battery is degrading very fast according to this.