New Black Keyboard wearing out extremely fast

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Nov 24, 2008.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey, am I the only one who finds their keyboard (particularly the spacebar key) is wearing out extremely fast? I've obviously had this thing for only a few weeks and I already see a shiny spot on my spacebar. I tried washing it off with a bit of water to no avail.

This will make reselling models of this gen quite a bit harder..

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to the plight of the "BlackBook" owner.

3. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Yeah, it's the same symptoms as my old BlackBook too :p

It'll get a little greasy over time, get used to it.

At least it didn't stain yellow and crack like the White ones did.

4. svndmvn Guest

I believe there are some silicone keyboard covers that also protect from liquids..use one or before selling it look for some keys on eBay..

5. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

except they're hideous and feel terrible :p

i never understood those things...

6. DYER macrumors 6502

I take it we are talking unibody Macbook? I have a MBP unibody and am currently freaking out because of this thread.... i dont want crappy looking keys this damn thing cost me more than my car did.:(

7. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

They're the same keyboard the blackbooks and air and such use/used

it's the same issue, it's just a different kind of plastic, it doesn't look bad, it just looks used, as would anything that you umm, use.

like someone on the forums here said; "i'm not sure if you guys actually use your computers or just keep them in a glass display case"

settle down, it's not like it's deteriorating with every letter you type.

8. cg165 macrumors regular

Hahaha, that was hilarious! I sometimes wonder about some of the people using things out there. "Should I run this program, my computer gets hot!" I got a MBP to USE the hell out of it. If I'm making it rev the fans up, that's a good thing because it means I'm actually using the machine for what it was intended for. The keyboard will almost definitely wear out...but is that unexpected? I've never seen a computer look exactly the same as it did the day that I bought it years later. Actually I can't think of really any product I actually touch that looks the same after using it for a while. This computer won't last you forever, I promise. If you're really worried about it, wash your hands every time you use your computer. (by using the word "you" I'm referring to anyone who is worried, not the person I am quoting)

9. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just get some type of key skin and put them on each key individually. Problem solved. I know they sell them somewhere.

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They're txtured and made more like the Air than a BlackBook. Where my BlackBook wore shiny and the trackpad (and palmrest for that matter) did too, the Air didn't wear as much. I clean them when they get shiny w. rubbing alcohol and they still look pretty good after 10 months.

11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Or get some 3M Scotch tape and tape over the spacebar. Replace it once a fortnight or when the tape starts looking icky.

12. aaeyers macrumors newbie

Its a keyboard, its going to wear out, deal with it. I don't understand why people complain about the most insignificant things. Who cares if you have a 3 mm scratch on the underside of your case or a worn spot on your spacebar? Computers are made to be used, not to be looked at. If you are so worried about how your laptop looks, frame it and put it on the wall.

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro is on my desk most of the time with a bluetooth aluminum keyboard connected to it so I don't have much of an issue with this, although after one weekend trip of using just the notebook keyboard it looked like it was going to become quite shiny -- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser fixed that up pretty well.

14. eddyhttp macrumors regular

yeah i can see some wear too and its not just the oil.

i have an extra piece from my bodyguardz, the piece that should go on the trackpad. do you guys suggest that i use it to cover the whole spacebar or just part of it. i wonder if it will like it look really tacky or will it be cool.

does anyone have pics?

15. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Most of my 'serious' work is done at my desk where I have my MBP on a Griffin Elevator.... so I use my trusty little Apple Bluetooth keyboard. If it's a major concern, consider using a BT keyboard and keep the wear on the built in unit to a minimum. Otherwise... a skin is probably the best bet.

16. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The thing is that the old macbook pros could be used and abused and still look BRAND NEW. I've been through every generation of the macbook pros, and I sold each one in "like-new" condition. And I mean it LITTERALLY look like it was taken right out of the box.

And trust me, I used each and every one of those to hell. Between bringing it to school every day, swinging it about as I carry it around my house on 1 hand, and typing big reports on a biweekly basis. The keys never seemed to wear out.

I'm just bummed that this one, within 2 weeks of me owning it, is already showing signs of age. Personally, it doesn't bother me so much, it still looks ok, but saying it looks "like-new" when selling it would be lying.

Anyway I'm not saying I'm going to jump off a bridge because my spacebar is wearing out :D I use this thing excessively, if anybody's unibody MBP is going to wear out, it's going to be mine. I would have just liked it if they used higher quality materials.. this is a 2000$ laptop after all, which I can't stress enough.

17. Neil1138 macrumors regular

I dont mind that they are wearing out... All I am concerned about is if they are going to sell replacement keys or something. Like a whole set of keys that we can replace when we feel that the keys are shot

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

19. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

thats a good idea

20. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

How many mbp users here actually use the skin for the keyboard?

21. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i never bought one with mine, i wish i had of. it is now 2 years old and i am starting to regret it. there is nothing major though i am fairly light on the typing, i just do a lot haha.

23. convergent macrumors 65832

convergent

Yeh... I can't help but chuckle at some of the things people get bent out of shape about. One thread where someone got a "scratch" on their MBP and wanted to send it back to Apple. Here we have the keys showing wear when they are used. I see the same thing with camera equipment. Some people spend hours sifting through every lens a store has trying to find the one they think is best... they keep the boxes in mint condition... and they pride themselves in the lens showing no wear at all after owning it for 10 years. I buy my stuff to use it. I actually like it when my stuff starts showing some signs of wear... it feels more comfortable and relaxing to use... like a broken in pair of shoes. On my old Thinkpad, the black space bar is worn completely smooth after hours and hours of use. Its what happens when you use the stuff. Relax... use your laptop and stop worrying about if someone can tell that its used. Its not a museum collectable, its a piece of office equipment! :)

24. 7even macrumors 6502a

Earlier this year I had a chance to work with a really old Thinkpad. I think it had a Pentium 166mhz chip, the LCD brightness adjustment was a physical slider, and I think it ran Windows 98. Seriously looked brand new.. ;)

I use my MBP almost daily, and after a month I don't see any obvious wear on the keyboard :confused:
    If I could afford one, I'd drive a Ferrari daily, too... that's what it was designed for, and all wear is just a side effect ;)