Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
My point isn't only that the computer is wearing out: my point is that it is occurring rapidly (within weeks). I've seen 2 year old PC laptops that look absolutely terrible, everything is worn down, but that's a length about 50 times longer than how long I've had my MBP. I don't like to complain about nonexistent issues, but seriously some fanboys here need to realize that there are issues with some products. It doesn't mean that I hate MBPs, and it is not a directed insult to Apple... this is my 7th MBP since the first gens, I obviously like these machines enough to keep upgrading and I wouldn't want to ever switch back to a PC.

That being said, I do want to know what's up with these ****** plastics they are using for the keys.

Here's a pic:
However, it looks worse in this pic than it does in real life, but it gives you an idea. I always click the spacebar with my right thumb in that exact spot. Again, I do use this computer a lot: I've probably typed papers totalling over 20 000 words in the past 2 weeks alone, and alot more chatting and surfing.

eddyhttp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
My point isn't only that the computer is wearing out: my point is that it is occurring rapidly (within weeks). I've seen 2 year old PC laptops that look absolutely terrible, everything is worn down, but that's a length about 50 times longer than how long I've had my MBP. I don't like to complain about nonexistent issues, but seriously some fanboys here need to realize that there are issues with some products. It doesn't mean that I hate MBPs, and it is not a directed insult to Apple... this is my 7th MBP since the first gens, I obviously like these machines enough to keep upgrading and I wouldn't want to ever switch back to a PC.

That being said, I do want to know what's up with these ****** plastics they are using for the keys.

Here's a pic:
However, it looks worse in this pic than it does in real life, but it gives you an idea. I always click the spacebar with my right thumb in that exact spot. Again, I do use this computer a lot: I've probably typed papers totalling over 20 000 words in the past 2 weeks alone, and alot more chatting and surfing.

yeah and the space key is loud as hell!

Son of Matrix

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
How many mbp users here actually use the skin for the keyboard?

I use the skin for my refurbished MBP. No regrets. Just look a bit strange at first but it protects the keyboard and any spills. Wondering whether I should get the screen film protector..hmm

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OP; at least your actual casing hasnt worn down so that you can see black spots all over the palm rests.

buy a keyboard sleve thing, it will save you lots of anger.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
From the picture I can tell you that's exactly what a used BlackBook keyboard and soon MBP keyboard will look like.

The only defect is that you're human and you use the machine like you should be using it.

There is nothing wrong with that image at all, it's grease/oil from your fingers, my mouse, my keyboard, my macbook pro keyboard, my blackbook's keyboard and trackpad... it's all going to end up like that.

There isn't some magic material they can use that'll heal itself from you using it.

And OP, believe me, I'd be the first person to tell Apple to shove it if something was actually wrong, I had my Core Duo BlackBook replaced under warranty for a defect with the optical drive, and then they broke it during repair and replaced it with a Core 2 Duo Penryn BlackBook, then I had my GF take in her White MacBook for repair when she had some problem with a nasty scaring on the screen where the keyboard met the gloss and they dropper her machine when it was in for repair and lied about it, so I emailed steve jobs and the store owner replaced both hers and my laptops with brand new Aluminum MacBook's to say he was sorry (3 weeks too late, and I'd rather they had just fixed her white one correctly to begin with...); and I took that machine and some cash and turned it into the MBP I'm using right now.

Now seriously, if you can't deal with that smudge from your finger oils, you probably shouldn't be touching anything, ever...

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
From the picture I can tell you that's exactly what a used BlackBook keyboard and soon MBP keyboard will look like.

The only defect is that you're human and you use the machine like you should be using it.

There is nothing wrong with that image at all, it's grease/oil from your fingers, my mouse, my keyboard, my macbook pro keyboard, my blackbook's keyboard and trackpad... it's all going to end up like that.

There isn't some magic material they can use that'll heal itself from you using it.

And OP, believe me, I'd be the first person to tell Apple to shove it if something was actually wrong, I had my Core Duo BlackBook replaced under warranty for a defect with the optical drive, and then they broke it during repair and replaced it with a Core 2 Duo Penryn BlackBook, then I had my GF take in her White MacBook for repair when she had some problem with a nasty scaring on the screen where the keyboard met the gloss and they dropper her machine when it was in for repair and lied about it, so I emailed steve jobs and the store owner replaced both hers and my laptops with brand new Aluminum MacBook's to say he was sorry (3 weeks too late, and I'd rather they had just fixed her white one correctly to begin with...); and I took that machine and some cash and turned it into the MBP I'm using right now.

Now seriously, if you can't deal with that smudge from your finger oils, you probably shouldn't be touching anything, ever...

Hahahha interesting story, but honestly the smudge is not oil residue.. I already washed that off. Anyhow, the old macbook pros did not wear down as far as I know. My iPhone isn't wearing down. My DS neither, nor my xbox 360 controller, need I go on? I dunno, maybe I use the spacebar more than any of these other things. But the keys will soon follow.

I'm positive there are plastics that would wear down slower or not at all, or even treatments that would slow it down.

Anyway back to my initial question: is this happening to anybody else yet?

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
it's just a glossy splotch that isn't going away regardless of wiping right?

that's what the blackbooks did too, and i fully expect this ub-mbp to do it too.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
it's just a glossy splotch that isn't going away regardless of wiping right?

that's what the blackbooks did too, and i fully expect this ub-mbp to do it too.

Does anywhere sell individual key skins? Or is it either the full keyboard cover or nothing? I would rather just put on individual key skins to protect them rather than the ugly full keyboard cover.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
They'd be near impossible to line up correctly on each key, especially seeing as the keys *are* curved, good luck...

flamejob

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
London
I am definitely in the 'Use it - it's a piece of office equipment' camp.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful, lovely machine which I treasure, I even love the smell when you first open the box, but I have to agree with a previous poster who said you'll get way more pleasure out of it if you just use it and show the wear marks as a sign of pride.

As with camera equipment, we get the same thing with mountain bikes, people just hate getting them all scratched and mucky. It's there to use!

Saying that, I'm sure if someone made a keycap sticker set that you line up with, say the palmrest corners, stuck all the keycap stickers on, then peeled off the backing and guide, people would buy it.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
It's not oil. It's the surface of the key rubbing off. It happens on every keyboard that is black. Try using other keyboards and you'll find out that is the case.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
It's not oil. It's the surface of the key rubbing off. It happens on every keyboard that is black. Try using other keyboards and you'll find out that is the case.

Isn't it possible that the same thing happens with the light colored keys but because of the color it isn't noticeable? I'm thinking like dirt on a silver car vs. dirt on a black car. One of them never looks dirty and the other looks dirty if you get anything on it at all. I would guess that the plastic being used is similar in both cases, but of a different color.

jachiho

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Ive only used mine for a week and its happening to my keyboard too. Ive used black keyboards before (logitech) and they wont wear as quickly as this. The only wear they get is loosing the white paint of the letters. Now, it seems the plastic is loosing the matte finish and becoming a little glossy. Yes, things wear as we use them, but not at this rate! My old macbook pro looks newer than this.

Since the Air also has this keyboard, i wonder if they have this problem too.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
If only the keys were made of aluminum. Maybe this buffing process would take longer.

But yeah, don't sweat it. Yes, every time you hit these keys you're taking a microscopic layer of plastic off. It's really not the end of the world and it's highly unlikely you'll wear through the entire key/space bar before the end of the laptop's life.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
-- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser fixed that up pretty well.

Greatest product invented by man... beats sliced bread, meat on a stick, and any other thing you can think of....

back on topic... my 5 year old keyboard still looks fairly new as I use a separate keyboard and mouse with my 'ancient' PB... ;)

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Ive been using a Vaio daily since early October, black keys, no oil marks/wear marks.:rolleyes:

Its obvious apple dont just want their laptops to be functional either, if they did they wouldnt have splashed them all over with gloss;) They probably chose the material cause its shiny

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Ive been using a Vaio daily since early October, black keys, no oil marks/wear marks.:rolleyes:

Its obvious apple dont just want their laptops to be functional either, if they did they wouldnt have splashed them all over with gloss;) They probably chose the material cause its shiny

Maybe the Sony is just special. HP glossitis on the keys.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Hey, am I the only one who finds their keyboard (particularly the spacebar key) is wearing out extremely fast? I've obviously had this thing for only a few weeks and I already see a shiny spot on my spacebar. I tried washing it off with a bit of water to no avail.

This will make reselling models of this gen quite a bit harder..

Pictures please.

allanibanez

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I was actually thinking the other day how my keyboard actually looks a little better now it has has my grubby fingertips all over it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.