Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The decline of SGI began 20 years ago. Are you actually comparing where Google is now to where SGI was in 1995?

The commoditisation of the UNIX workstation by Linux and BSD on Intel hardware (including ports of software like Maya) along with the rise of PC graphics is what killed SGI.

I'll say it again. Google's vanity will be its downfall. When they have nothing unique and everything big they do is a mass duplicated commodity, they will be compromised. Eventually their "secret search algorithm" will be cracked and duplicated. Just a matter of time.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'll say it again. Google's vanity will be its downfall.

Well I disagree, I think as an organisation, Apple is way more vain and arrogant.

Eventually their "secret search algorithm" will be cracked and duplicated. Just a matter of time.

If it were that simple, someone would have done it by now, besides, it is almost constantly evolving so it is a moving target. Brand loyalty to Google has also moved well beyond search as users have invested in the entire ecosystem. It's like saying that McDonalds will become irrelevant because someone will reverse engineer their Big Mac sauce.

Even if they lose the entire desktop search market (which won't happen anytime soon), and iOS search market, there are still a billion Androids out there where it is a pain to use anything else but Google search where the users are essentially a captive audience = Not going to happen.

The only way Google will fade as the dominant search will be from some completely new, disruptive technology, not from someone reverse engineering them or an iterative improvement.

Last edited:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
The only way Google will fade as the dominant search will be from some completely new, disruptive technology, not from someone reverse engineering them or an iterative improvement.

Yup and more than likely this will actually happen because it's the world of ever evolving technology. It's all about discovery and there is always something new to discover. 10yrs from now the land scape of tech will look a lot different than it does right now, who the key players will be at that time is anyone's best guess.
All we can do is sit back and watch the show.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Not this IT person. My colleagues and I can't stand the googs.

Amen.

Same here...we've got a handful of Android fans in my dept but overall, we recommend Apple over Android. After tiring of Blackberry, we did a test rollout of Android and Apple devices, and most people couldn't stand the Android stuff. Not nearly as smooth and polished as Apple, from both hardware and software perspectives.

Maybe the uber-geek IT types are in Google's pocket but, I think the sensible ones who actually care about reliability know better.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
Same here...we've got a handful of Android fans in my dept but overall, we recommend Apple over Android. After tiring of Blackberry, we did a test rollout of Android and Apple devices, and most people couldn't stand the Android stuff. Not nearly as smooth and polished as Apple, from both hardware and software perspectives.

Maybe the uber-geek IT types are in Google's pocket but, I think the sensible ones who actually care about reliability know better.
Now this post is incredibly biased.
:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.