Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vooma has announced an iPhone case with a backup battery and, more interestingly, an unlocked SIM slot. The case works with a jailbreak-only app that emulates the iPhone's native phone app to allow calls via the external SIM. At its core, the case unlocks any jailbroken iPhone.

voomapeel.jpg

TechCrunch's John Biggs tried a pre-release version of the case and came away impressed:
Once it's set up the Peel PG92 works seamlessly and even uses a similar interface to Apple's own dialer - although it's clear that the programmers had to cut a few corners to get the look and feel correct. For example, the dialing screen is actually a bitmapped copy of the original dialer and the letters and numbers are slightly warped. However, all of the major functionality is recreated in the Vooma app.

However, this is clearly a very cool and clever hack and it works without problems on any jailbroken iPhone.
Details are scarce, but it appears that the case fits mini-SIM cards, not the micro-SIM that fits in the iPhone 4 and 4S. Also, the external SIM could be used for voice calls only -- data most likely goes through the SIM card that's installed in the iPhone. Because the external SIM is used via its own app the internal SIM can still be used for voice calls even with the case installed.

The case would be most useful for international travelers who wish to install a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier, without having to unlock their subsidized iPhone from a domestic carrier. Unlocking an iPhone is typically more difficult than a simple jailbreak.

Vooma has a sign-up form on its homepage to get more information on the Peel PG920, but the company has disclosed no details about pricing or availability.

Article Link: New Case Adds Unlocked SIM Slot to Jailbroken iPhones

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
thank the maker that unlocking phones over in australia is so much easier. still, that's a pretty cool idea, people with say, a work number and a personal number... no more 2 phones in your pocket!!

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
That's pretty cool. Although it is unfortunate people have to go to those lengths in the first place....

to be fair, you don't see a lot of dual smart phones as of yet. it might be different in the US, but i've only spied one in australia, and that was a dual sim dumb phone - you could choose which sim to call/message but as far as i remember, it didn't do much in the way of apps/data etc...

guan

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
I can’t tell for certain, but from the description, doesn’t it sound like they’ve added a whole other phone to the iPhone, not just a SIM slot?

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
look at the battery insert on the tech crunch webpage.. is that a nokia battery used in that thing???

----------

I can’t tell for certain, but from the description, doesn’t it sound like they’ve added a whole other phone to the iPhone, not just a SIM slot?

through an app, yes.

essentially the second sim would mainly only be able to call/send messages through a jailbroken app you probably keep open. so if anyone calls on that second number, it would pop up much like Skype does now...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

ya, basically, a phone without any buttons/interface, piggybacking on your iPhone.

arn

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
to be fair, you don't see a lot of dual smart phones as of yet. it might be different in the US, but i've only spied one in australia, and that was a dual sim dumb phone - you could choose which sim to call/message but as far as i remember, it didn't do much in the way of apps/data etc...

Actually, I agree it is cool and useful beyond simply wanting an unlocked sim slot. You can have two phone numbers and plans in one phone!

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
I can see the lawsuit now...

why??

everything is included on the case. the app is for a jailbreak. i don't see it coming to the app store any time soon ;) .. but i don't see what the big deal is .. the phone essentially stays the same.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
That's pretty cool. Although it is unfortunate people have to go to those lengths in the first place....

I agree, hopefully this will just push the carriers to allow unlocks. So stupid, but I mean what's even stupider is buying this instead of an unlocked phone ... considering you could buy the locked one, sell it, buy an unlocked one, and probably save money.

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
Actually, I agree it is cool and useful beyond simply wanting an unlocked sim slot. You can have two phone numbers and plans in one phone!

if i could get my head around the whole jail breaking thing and if didn't screw my phone up ;).. i'd get one of these. at the present I'm carrying an iPhone 4s (personal) and a 3GS (work). both with mophie juice packs. no, they ARE two phones in my pocket. I'm not happy to see you ;)

i don't use the 3GS for apps/data, just for calls that come in and messages for calls. as long as the battery was pretty reliable, i'd get it. even so, it looks pretty easy to swap out and insert a new battery. spares! :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
if i could get my head around the whole jail breaking thing and if didn't screw my phone up ;).. i'd get one of these. at the present I'm carrying an iPhone 4s (personal) and a 3GS (work). both with mophie juice packs. no, they ARE two phones in my pocket. I'm not happy to see you ;)

i don't use the 3GS for apps/data, just for calls that come in and messages for calls. as long as the battery was pretty reliable, i'd get it. even so, it looks pretty easy to swap out and insert a new battery. spares! :)

Yeah that sounds like a giant pain....

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure why this has to be a jailbroken app even... Join the made for iPod program, use the apple accessory protocol and audio in/out on the dock connector, and make a legit app store app...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
had to cut a few corners to get the look and feel correct. For example, the dialing screen is actually a bitmapped copy of the original dialer and the letters and numbers are slightly warped.
So...they can make a piece of hardware and the software to add a phone to another phone, but they can't draw a number pad for the retina display?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That's kinda what I got out of it too... So no data service?

Since you're working with a jailbroken iPhone, anything's possible -- though much more complicated. But doesn't seem like it yet.

arn

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Interesting ...A phone wrapped around an iPhone. Looks quite bulky to me. But still better than carrying two phones as I do when travelling abroad.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
This is also great for people who miss those gigantic old cell phones.
The 90s are the latest thing in retro, after all. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.