New data plans and how they effect people upgrading to the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weezite, Jun 2, 2010.

1. weezite macrumors regular

So I just saw the new data plans that AT&T is going to use. I went to check my account on AT&T's website and saw that I came surprisingly close to 2GB a couple of times. I saw on a few websites that current customers will be able to keep their Unlimited packages if they choose. However, I'm wondering that if you upgrade, will you still be able to keep your same data package? I'm eligible for upgrade, so I'm unsure if I'm signing a new contract or extending my current one. Will I still be able to have my Unlimited data package even though I will be upgrading to the new iPhone?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If you have unlimited then you will keep unlimited when you upgrade as well. Your plan will not change only your contract expiration date will change.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

So you can keep unlimited data as long as you want? Because I'm upgrading next year.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That is correct.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Right now you can keep your current unlimited plan, if you upgrade you can still keep that unlimited plan. Basically you are grandfathered in.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm not sure about this. It was what I assumed at first, but as I read and reread the press release, I don't think it contains a clear statement on this either way. It says that current customers will be grandfathered, yes, but it does not say that they will continue to be grandfathered if they sign a new contract.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They will, AT&T just said so on Facebook page...

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apparently AT&T made a FB post verifying that you will be grandfathered in when you sign the new contract.

Makes sense, the data plan is like any other feature, a code added to your account. Then signing a new contract, they do not force you to remove existing codes. The 3G would be the only exception, but that was very clear when it happened.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Nice. I will not make any changes until I find out how I use my new 4G, then.

10. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

From the Wall Street Journal:

The new plans will lower the cost of an entry-level voice and data plan for smartphones by $15, to $54.99. Existing users will have the option of sticking with their current plans indefinitely, even if they switch phones, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly my same thoughts. And in any case, I'll keep my unlimited plan because of my little over average usage, that and now I'm reusing Benm hack for tethering... not gonna let that go.

12. tikitommy macrumors regular

Thank goodness for getting grandfathered in. Otherwise i'd be screwed.

I've been over 2 GB for the past 5 months straight.

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

My wife and I use less than 50MB monthly on our iPhones. If I switch us to the $15 plan and start the $30 unlimited plan on my iPad, it costs me the same and I get more service out of it. If tethering the iPad to the iPhone get support, then I can switch around and it will sill cost the same.

current: $30 + $30
    new: $15 + $15 + $30 (adding iPad plan)
    future?: $15 + $25 + $20 (iPhone tethering, no iPad plan)

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Just checked my past usage on both my phones, I have barely gone over 200MB/month. Am I typical or atypical?

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are among 50% of AT&T users then.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

My past 7 months' usage was:

Oct/Nov - 67 MB
    Nov/Dec - 60 MB
    Dec/Jan - 139 MB
    Jan/Feb - 158 MB
    Feb/Mar - 59 MB
    Mar/Apr - 88 MB
    Apr/May - 136 MB

So far in May/June I'm on track for about 160 MB

This gives me an average usage of about 108 MB, with a peak of about 160. Unless the 4G changes my usage (as I admit it may), the 200 MB plan would save me lots of money. And even if I occasionally peak over 200 MB, I would still be paying no more than I do now...

17. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to "buy" the $30/month thing right now? I don't have a smartphone but can I buy it anyway?

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It would very certainly do.

Yes you can. Just call AT&T in and say you just got an iPhone as a hand me down and would like to have the $30/month unlimited data added.

19. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

At&t crap phone + $30/month = grandfathered?

If I have a crapy phone from At&t (not a smartphone), is it possible to purchase the $30/month unlimited plan right now, and just buy a new iPhone and be grandfathered in?

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, just call AT&T and say you got a hand me down iPhone 3GS and need the $30/month data plan added to your account.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm thinking of doing something similar. Will be going to the ATT store today to check it out. I'm thinking maybe I can buy a 3GS before June 7th, get grandfathered, and then exchange it for a 4th Gen when its available. It should still be in some kind of return window... I hope.

22. digitalduck macrumors regular

Question... i read on an article that they say "Data usage over Wi-Fi, including AT&T's public Wi-Fi hot spots, will not count toward the limits"

Does that mean that for instance last month my data usage was 1.7gigs and most months im around a gig... does thta mean though that if im at a hotspot or using wifi at home that even though i have that much usage, it is broken down between 3g and wifi...in which case most would be on wifi so how will that work?

I dont see a spot on my account that allows you to see how much was over 3g? Wouldnt that mean thta I had that much over 3g because they cant see the wifi trafic?

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It means that if you are using actual 3G network, all data will count toward your cap. If you use Wi-Fi, then no, that data won't count.

Say you used 5GB of data in the month... and out of that 3.6GB was on Wi-Fi network. Then, that means that the rest (1.4GB) was used on AT&T's network and that is what is going to be billed to you.

24. digitalduck macrumors regular

Dang so my 1.7 listed for last month on my account must have all been 3g... oh wait I know what it was dang stupid tomtom... had to use my nav a lot last month..lol

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just call AT&T and do what I said above... then just buy the next gen iPhone and swap SIMs... easy.