New Dell 24" 2408WFP available

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ackzot, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ackzot macrumors newbie

2. conancn macrumors member

Anyone has any experience with 240X series of Dell monitor?

3. newkeyboard macrumors regular

How long should it be before these are released in the UK?

4. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Just in time for me. I would buy an ACD but they are so due for an update! I wonder how much money Apple are loosing on possible purchases for the ACD.

If only they had been updated at Macworld, i would have ordered immediately. Oh well, i'll take my £500 to Dell!

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

As far as I know these are made by BenQ. I have been using a 24" BenQ now for a year and a half. Love it.

6. newkeyboard macrumors regular

Have you found a UK supplier of this already??

7. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Not yet, just waiting on Dell uk

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Just bare in mind that these aren't just rebranded BenQ monitors.

9. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

30" upgraded too?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=223-4890

Looks like the 3008WFP has been updated as well.

High-Definition 30" Panel – Offers ultra-high resolution and superb color for content-creators, designers, video, gaming and entertainment.
    2560 x 1600 Native Resolution – Offers up to 77% more content compared to Dell 24-inch monitors.
    3000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio – Produces darker blacks for sharper images, crisp text, better color saturation and greater detail for HD entertainment.
    TrueHD 1080 - Supports higher definition than HD Television and comes with an integrated HDMI connection.
    Dell TrueColor Technology – 100% of NTSC color gamut for rich, life-like imagery that has accurate color representation better tones and hues, and can support up to Adobe 98 color standard.
    Extensive Connectivity – Seven connection options: VGA, DVI-D with HDCP, HDMI, S-Video, Component, Composite and DisplayPort give you a wide range of connection options.
    State-of-the-Art Design – With its brushed aluminum housing, glass stand base, and Dell-patented cantilever arm, the Dell 3008WFP looks as beautiful from the back and side as from the front.

Is the panel any different compared to the old 3007W?

10. Toups macrumors regular

The Dell monitors are a good value, but I recommend anyone using them for graphics/video/photo work that you purchase a calibrator to setup the monitor as they are usually slightly off toward the yellow end of the spectrum.

11. exspes macrumors member

I think it's S-PVA. It seems the only place Dell puts an IPS panel in these days are their 30 inch offerings.

12. chakosticks macrumors member

That 30" display starts at $1999.

BUT...

With my Education discount I can get it for...

$1999.

Thanks Dell! Not that I'd ever buy your cr*p anyway.

13. elcid macrumors 6502

I'm not really a fan of Dell either, but I have to hand it to them on their monitors. When I bought my 19, the professional benchmarks had ACD and the Dells dead even. I would imagine as they have updated theirs more that the same would be true today, if not better features.

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

crap?

on their machines, I can agree with you without reservation, but this monitor ≠crap.

unless you consider the 30" ACD to also be crap?

This is a new generation of the same panel in the current 30" ACD (the 30" dell).

The new 2408 I'm not sure about. I doubt anyone has one yet. The 2407 was awesome except for the ghosting bug, which was apparently part of the chipset, and the reason they ended their every-two-years update practice for the 24" display...they had to fix that bug, so they released an 08 model instead of waiting till 09 like they had originally planned.

The 1999 price will not be around for long with the new 30" dell...it's only been on their site for this week. It is also a significant upgrade over the existing 30", which is why it is several hundred dollars more.

113% of NTSC color space...finally has multiple inputs (7!) and support for intermediate resolutions (unlike the ACD). DisplayPort. IQ processing to make lower resolutions (like 1080p) look good. A fairly attractive case (go look at one in person, it isn't ugly at all).

15. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Yes - the biggest difference (as noted in your quotes) is a larger gamut that better covers the Adobe RGB color space. As more photographers move beyond sRGB, it becomes hard to proof images on an LCD that doesn't display all the colors you've captured (assuming, of course, your printer is capable of printing these wider colors - hence the 6 and 8 cartridge inkjets).

16. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

18. exspes macrumors member

19. ackzot thread starter macrumors newbie

The bottom line is what are you going to use it for?

I have been looking for a good 24" with HDMI (gonna plug in my xbox 360 to that). So I spent some time looking at the Gateway FHD2400.

The main problem with the Gateway is that it has a TN panel which has a lower viewing angle and 6bit color. The supporting electronics is decent though. The Gateway has a glossy screen and the most complained about issue is backlight bleed. It is reasonably priced and you can pick it up in a lot of places. Also, if you go to the gateway website, you can order a speaker bar for it for $50. Most people say it makes an excellent 24" home LCD.

The Dell I brought up seems to be a PVA - so it has better viewing angles and better color reproduction (panel level). The electronics should be decent. It's also a matte screen. For me, I want a good lcd with lots of inputs. 30" is too big for me, and I think 24" will work for what I do. I didnt want to get the 2407WFP cause it didnt have HDMI. But the 2408 does and I am happy it came out.

In either case, one common thread I keep hearing about Dells and other brands is that screens need to be calibrated. The Apple ACDs seem to be good out of the box.

20. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input.

I would like to use it for:

PSCS3
    Movies
    TV(HD)
    360 games
    computer games.

How do you think this dell is for high action movies,games?

I know the gateway made it onto this list http://forums.anandtech.com/message...ORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

21. TKEik683 macrumors member

I purchased the 2400 last night from Best Buy using the 12% off coupon. Total came to 520$ after tax.

I am coming form one of the Dell 20.1" IPS monitors that I LOVE. I really wanted to purchase the 2407 but the price(699$) threw me off. I decided that I would give the 2400 (said to be one of the better TN panels) a try.

After hooking it up I had immediate issues with getting the right color set up. I know this is my fault but i am just explaining my experience. I noticed that the viewing angle also changes ALOT on the vertical axis. So while leaning back in my chair the top of the screen is dimmer than the bottom.

That was my first issue, the second issue is the glossy spray they use. I can notice in reflections that the coating has a wave to it. While normally using the monitor it is hard to see, but if you catch a reflection the image looks distorted with a wave pattern. Very frustrating.

So my decision is im going to return the monitor tomorrow and order either the 2407 or 2408. I just found it too hard to go from an awesome IPS panel to the cheaper TN.

Lemme know if I can answer anything about the 2400 (pics etc...)

Dave

22. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Well, I am sure the education discount is meant to help students and schools to buy what they need, not so much what they want. If I were Dell, I wouldn't discount my highest-end products either.

- Martin

23. exspes macrumors member

You are definitely looking at some trade-offs. First of all, a TN based monitor would be fairly bad for photoshop. Having a 6bit panel, it doesn't have the color range of other 8bit ones. That means you won't be able to work with and look at your photos correctly.

Now, what the TN does offer is faster response time, which is generally better for games. However, that depends on how discerning your eyes are. I've been playing games on older panels with much longer response times than the new PVA/IPSs and I've not had a problem. I would say unless you're a competitive gamer, you don't have to worry about response time too much.

Plus consider that the TN panels colors make your games/movies look worse too. They often crush blacks (less detail in darker games).

As long as the monitors have the inputs you need (in this case DVI and HDMI), and you can afford it, I would always go for the non-TN based panel.

24. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

so basically the 2400 is a no go? The viewing angles would change just by leaning in your chair? that sounds terrible, i would like to lay down on my bed while viewing if possible.

i guess ill have to work extra hard to get some cash to pay for the 2408. this is a whole new price range though, i wonder if theres something better for 800