Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
I just ordered one of these. Here are some links. The 1st is direct to Dell Business area. Only way I found the monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7825

The 2nd is a review.

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/0,239029422,339294389,00.htm

Apparently IPS panel. I'll let you know how it performs when I get it in a few weeks. Cost $299

One thing to note. Its has VGA and DVI input only.

Display: 22″ e-IPS (In-Plane Switching) TFT LCD
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Pixel Format: 1680 x 1050
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 6ms
Viewing Angles: 178/178
Color Gamut: 83% CIE1976
Connectivity: DVI, VGA, USB (4)
Adjustability: Swivel, Tilt, Height, Rotate
Dimensions: 461.91 x 511.77 x 184.12mm
Weight: 7.93kg

fo0bar

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Aww. Late last year I was looking for a second workstation monitor, to go along with my 2005FPW 20" S-IPS. (ALL PRAISE THE 2005FPW!) IIRC, Dell at the time only offered one IPS monitor, and it was a horribly overpriced 30". I would have paid $299 without hesitation for a 22" IPS. Instead, I got the "TS" 24W8h, which was that HP w2408h 24" TN, but refurbished and rebranded for $190. Great price for 24", and supposedly it's one of the best TN displays around, but it's still a TN display.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Monitor should be in this week or monday at the latest, then i'll let u all know what its like. I'll compare it with my 20" ACD.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I'm looking forward to your review as well. It's about time some decently-priced non-TN displays started showing up.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Coincidentally I just discovered that monitor today as well, it's an "e-IPS" type which I haven't heard of before. Very cheap for an IPS, so they must have come up with some way of making cheap IPS panels. Pity there's no HDMI, looks to be no HDCP either.

I'm waiting on a well-priced 1920*1200 23 or 24-inch IPS. With this new, cheaper technology it looks like I'll finally be able to get a decent LCD at a good price.

e-IPS in 17-inch Macbook Pro? :eek: Wishful thinking, probably. But salvation is on the distant horizon with OLED...

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
All i can say is WOW !!

This monitor can be adjusted in any direction you want.

Side by side with my Apple 20" ACD, it appears to have equal if not better color.

The screen is not glossy, I see no reflections at all.

I'm very happy with the purchase.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Cool I too have the dell 2409w display. AWESOME, great qualityI got it for 250 on ebay. Original was 350 I think so not bad.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Good to hear it's lived up to expectations. How's the response time? Any ghosting when dragging windows around?

AppleMacTheBest

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
Erm... why would anyone buy dell? They make some of the worst hardware around. Second only to Microsoft. They have really bad customer service as well.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Erm... why would anyone buy dell? They make some of the worst hardware around. Second only to Microsoft. They have really bad customer service as well.

Look I know you're da numba one fanboi…

But seriously you really are talking out of your backside.
Ever tried a MS Mouse of keyboard?
A hell of a lot better than any of Apple's peripheral offerings.
;)
Edit: I am not talking about computers, just the peripherals…

AppleMacTheBest

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
Look I know you're da numba one fanboi…

But seriously you really are talking out of your backside.
Ever tried a MS Mouse of keyboard?
A hell of a lot better than any of Apple's peripheral offerings.
;)
Edit: I am not talking about computers, just the peripherals…

Yes I've tried them at my friends and they're not worth anything. Like I said MS and Dell don't know how to make good hardware.

If you want good displays, go with Apple. Sure they're expensive, but if you were worried about the price and not value for money, you wouldn't have bought a Mac in the first place.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Yes I've tried them at my friends and they're not worth anything. Like I said MS and Dell don't know how to make good hardware.

If you want good displays, go with Apple. Sure they're expensive, but if you were worried about the price and not value for money, you wouldn't have bought a Mac in the first place.

polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

I can see that resistance is futile…

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007

Dell makes some of the best monitors around. Unfortunately, seeing your posting history, you're just plain trolling now :rolleyes:

AppleMacTheBest

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
Dell makes some of the best monitors around. Unfortunately, seeing your posting history, you're just plain trolling now :rolleyes:

So just because I recommend superior products from Apple rather than cheap unreliable hardware from Dell or MS with crappy customer service, I'm all of a sudden a troll?

You don't deserve to be in the Apple community.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!

Oh, snap, your license to post has been revoked. Run in fear.

Only difference between Apple displays and those from Dell and HP, if you pick the right ones, is some extra bling, a FireWire hub and, if you get a 24-inch, you can only use Apple's with 3 computers. Otherwise, they're totally identical.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Dell Monitors are considered some of the best Monitors Around, not including the real graphics works $1000+ Monitors (No Apple's 30" ACD DOES NOT count)

Monitor Looks good, but im going for the 2408WFP as i need the extra pixels.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
The Dell display might be king at the moment because it is the cheapest IPS ever.

My money is on Apple making something much sexier, that doesn't cost very much more at all. It had better not be mini-DP only though. A 23 inch Full HD Apple display with magsafe, displayport, HDMI, DVI and VGA, perhaps even component, and built-in speakers? With these new cheap e-IPS displays, they could make this a few hundred cheaper than the 24 inch LED Cinema display.

Bang on the option of a matte finish, and they will sell by the millions.

I hope I'm not just dreaming, but I suspect I am...

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
So just because I recommend superior products from Apple rather than cheap unreliable hardware from Dell or MS with crappy customer service, I'm all of a sudden a troll?

Ugh. Yes you are a troll because the Dell Ultrasharp series monitors and MS hardware are both some of the best you can buy. Dell monitors and and MS hardware being cheap and unreliable is just laughable. Apple doesnt even make displays, they are just rebranded Samsung or LG panels, Dell does the same thing and whats funny is that for awhile Dell and Apple used the exact same components in their monitors (the difference being the Dells were about $400 cheaper and had more input options). Even when asking if youre a troll you cant help but throw in a troll comment, thats like being a pathological troll.

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007

Constantly posting derogatory comments about other company's products, without basis or factual evidence, is trolling

As others have already stated, Dell monitors use the exact same components form the same manufacturers as Apple. They just have different looks, inputs and outputs, and cost different. And Dell customer service was excellent in my experience - when my Dell 3007WFP-HC had scratches due to shipping, they exchanged it no problems whatsoever.

AppleMacTheBest

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
PCs also use the same components as Macs. I doubt anyone here will agree that PCs are better than Macs though.

Many people buy Macs because they look nice and passes though the strict Apple quality control which means better reliability.

This is why you should buy Apple displays as well. It might be more expensive but so are Macs, but you didn't care about the price when you bought a Mac so why should you care about the price when you buy a display? With Apple you get a best value for money as well as 1st class customer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.