New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

1. On a MacBook I could see the challenge, on an iMac though? Compared to the iPhone X?
    2. By your logic TouchID would never have been added. It is however much more secure and faster than the passcode, so it does have a reason to exist. TouchID is being phased out. FaceID is the only solution out of the two that makes sense on an iMac. Cost will come down at some point.

2. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Face ID makes sense on an iMac, where Touch ID on the keyboard is presumably not feasible.

So my guess is Touch ID for MacBooks, Face ID for the iMac and iMac Pro. Maybe that’s why Apple doesn’t like the Mac mini and Mac Pro? Due to the absence of an integrated display?

3. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

They’ll figure it out ;)

4. geromi912 macrumors regular

Literally no desktop on this planet has a biometric signin nor do they need any. How many times slowly you use it per day? 3 times? Because I only type in my password 2 times max.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2018 ---
    The iMac still has a 720 webcam, only the iMac Pro has a 1080p one. And you think they gonna put a depth sensing camera there? And no desktop computer on this planet has ever had any fingerprint reader/facial recognition nor is it ever needed. You sign in to your phone like 100 times a day, and maybe 3 times to your computer. I’d much rather have a gtx1180m in the next iMac and some gimmicky facial recognition stuff.

5. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

1. The current lack of state-of-art webcams has little to do with FaceID
    2. Not surprising it isn't common on desktops, doesn't mean it's useless
    3. The amount of times you sign in might be less, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be more secure or easier. Again, TouchID on MacBook Pro exists
    4. You can actually get both better graphics and FaceID at the same time

MacBook Pro and iMac Pro have the T1 and T2 chips for security. The MacBook has TouchID paired with it, but there's no TouchID for iMac. It makes a lot of sense if FaceID makes it to iMac at some point, probably not this year.