New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

For me, the FaceID has been the most pathetic experience ever. It fails to recognize my face 3/10 times no matter how hard I try to re-register my face.
    So with inclusion of FaceID on the upcoming iPads, be ready to do a lot of head banging against the giant screen. No need for weight training. The exercise will happen trying to bring the FaceID in range. I say 2 sets of 20 reps each.

2. The Cappy macrumors regular

They've waited so long... will it be powered by an A11 or an A12, when it comes...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2018 ---
    You don't appear to be representative. I wonder why you're not being recognized. Are you pointing the phone properly? Serious question.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would suggest you re-read the Post I quoted. Design has nothing to Do with protecting your investment, the majority of iPad owners likely use cases simply to prevent accidents and protect the display.

4. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

If faceID means no home button that means no iPad. Our iPads are most often used by children that do not any gestures other than touch what they want and hit the home button if things go wrong. Gestures are bad as the primary interface but manageable by adults with practice. Doubtful ever useful for young children. Bad direction.

5. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Whoa, I thought I was the only caveman living in the past with this same combo :) Glad to see I’m not alone. I’m definitely finally going to ditch my ol’ Air for the new Pro, should be a whopper of an upgrade experience. And my ol’ 5s, the one who’s screen I can hardly see anymore, that’ll be replaced by one of the upcoming iPhone models that are also coming this fall. Can’t wait!

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I would argue that kids adapt to new tech like face ID much quicker & inuitively than most adults.

7. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

I wonder if they'll put the notch in as it's now become 'fashionable'

Hope not

8. fokmik macrumors 68040

Yes and lets face it,kids don’t need locking/put passwords on the ipad

9. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

Yeah, I was hoping to skip the notch with the iPhone (don't @ me). I'm presuming the iPad doesn't have one.

10. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

I don't think it will have the notch, it's a bigger device, so the bezels will be proportionaly bigger than the iPhone X bezels. But the tech behind FaceID will remain the same.

11. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Removing touch id is not innovation. Touch id works perfectly and doesn't need replacing.

12. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

The 20 year design bigasp bezel on the iMac is a sad state of affairs. Anyone want to see a notch on that as long as it comes with no bezels? With iPad & iMac screen real estate so big, wouldn't the rectangle (wide, high) notch currently in X, only need to be miniscule by comparison?

13. PickUrPoison Suspended

The iPad isn’t a phone lol

14. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Been waiting for this feature to upgrade my I pad pro.

15. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Don't worry.

16. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

Costs double as was the case with the phone x?

17. BGarza macrumors member

BGarza

I concur! Where I work, we have iPads mounted in cases that don’t rotate to portrait, so that would be a real pain

18. Pennypacker83 macrumors regular

Pennypacker83

Re: iPad Pro

I don't know what they will release and when. But the price will go up.

19. 19SK91 macrumors regular

I see no reason for it to have the notch. It just doesn't make sense. If the iPad's upside down with the notch on the bottom, will the status bar below the dock? And if it's held horizontally, will the status bar be sideways? Other than that, there's enough space in the bezel to put Face ID in. Like I said, it wouldn't make sense at all for it to have a notch. I'll have a big laugh at the people still swearing it's gonna have a notch just because the iPhone has a notch. Or if Apple really pulls of the notch, I'll laugh at them. Either way, I'm gonna laugh!

20. entropi macrumors 6502

I'm totally with you - the question is if we will like the performance of iOS 13 & 14...?

21. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Seriously tired of reading it's coming...it's coming...unlike last year where there were image leakages !!

22. krfr macrumors member

krfr

Hopefully they make it so FaceID works horizontally and all other directions

23. delrealest macrumors newbie

delrealest

It's going to be great to be able to have that extra real estate on the screen that is being taken up by the home button. I am satisfied with the response I get from the FaceID on my iPhone X. Hopefully Apple has only improved on that technology. I look forward to playing with this new device at my local Apple Store, and do I dare say, purchase one...

24. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Are we going to have to put it in portrait mode every time we want to use Face ID?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2018 ---
    Apple Watch is hit or miss. At least for me.

25. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I'm confused, is this new design intended to replace the iPad Pro or the "iPad"?