New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. AgentAnonymous macrumors regular

AgentAnonymous

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? Sounds like you're upset that your device is about to become old technology. No real reason to come into this thread and advertise how much you "don't care" (it's quite obvious you do) otherwise.

2. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I am guessing the iPad Pro. The iPad got Apple Pencil support earlier this year, so the pro iPads will need more hardware features to further differentiate themselves and justify their premium pricing. Face ID is the most obvious upgrade.

3. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

It does NOT make sense to me....

The iPhone and iPad are devices with which people interact primarily through touch. Hence TouchID makes more sense.

I could argue for FaceID on the iPhone if only because it is almost always used in portrait orientation. However, I almost always use my iPad in landscape mode, so unless FaceID works in landscape orientation (something it doesn't do now), FaceID on an iPad is a fail.

On the other hand, I would like to see FaceID implemented on Apple's laptops as a way to unlock the Mac (akin to Windows). IMO FaceID is more convenient and efficient than TouchID on a laptop because people almost always interact with a laptop by opening the lid.

4. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

Unfortunately... I still disagree. Until they make my hand transparent I’m going to have to keep swapping it back and forth between hands to a) hold on to it, and b) see what is under each hand while I am reading. There’s a reason the latest kindle is asymmetric...

I love the *look* of thinner bezels. I’m certainly not complaining about that (or the weight). But, it does make for some awkward handling for some use cases.

5. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

Totally. I was going to buy a new iPad this year but after getting the iPhone X I just can't stand the touch ID home button anymore. When I pick up my wife's 6+ it feels so dated.
    I used to love that button, now I hate it.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

The current Pro’s clicking home button only reminds me how great the solid button of my iPhone feels. I can’t stand the iPad button. Face ID is perfect for the iPad. On the phone, I pick up the device with my thumb on the button. I can’t do that with the iPad. It’s much more cumbersome to unlock the iPad.

7. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

As someone who bought the 10.5 iPad Pro last September for my son; I look forward to buying the updated 10.5 iPad Pro in a few months for my wife and I.

8. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

The point is that there is the polished champfer same as on the iPhone 5 which is prone to get scuffs. With the rounded corners of iPhone 6 or the 4 models in stainless steel this didn’t happen...

No need to baby these devices

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

Just as long the iPad doesn't follow the notch as well, i'll be glad, but Apple has tendency to migrate it all *exactly*

They have issues with that.

10. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

If they want to run the display out as close to the edge as possible (3-4mm border from the device edge to the display) there will have to be a notch. If they’re ok with approx a 10mm border there would be no room for a notch.

11. mrklaw macrumors 68020

I like face ID on the iphone X, and arguably it should be better on the ipad as long as it works in both landscape orientations. I will sometimes have mine with the home button on the right because thats more convenient for my lightning headphones, but will also sometimes have the home button on the left when resting on my lap - using the smart cover to tilt it up slightly more for a better viewing angle. Just portrait and one specific landscape orientation won't be good enough for me.

With TouchID you have to look to see where your home button is and then move your hand to the right place. I only have right hand fingers registered so if the home button is on the left its a bit of a pain.

12. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I use the home button more on the iPhone than on the iPad since I find the gestures more convenient on the bigger screen.
    Since you can hold your iPad in 4 orientations the home button isn't always at the same place, you have to reach for it while the iPhone is mostly used in portrait mode, so muscle memory will point your finger to the home button quickly.

FaceID on the Mac would be ok, I like TouchID on my MBP but I only unlock the Mac a few times a day and I need to use the keyboard so placing my finger on the sensor is ok. They'll eventually move to FaceID since authenticating via TouchID is possible on the MBP but not on the iMac, they'd need to trust a particular keyboard, maybe connected via Bluetooth, and what if you replace it? FaceID would be better.

13. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I think the idea being Face ID is that you don’t even have to think about interacting with your device. So long as you are looking at it, it’s authenticated.

14. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Flying cars are coming too.
    Is that news?
    Don't be a dork.

15. augustya, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018

augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Well said. This is exactly the Prophecy/Philosophy Apple Engineers would be thinking on when building this Product as they would have thought while bringing the Face Id to the iPhone X back in 2017. That is the way to Future ! Cannot stop the inevitable !! Cannot stop Progress !

People who say they are not comfortable with Face Id on an iPad are regressive in thinking !!

16. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Totally. I’ve been looking for concept images of this, but haven’t found any. Let me know if you do.

17. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Absolutely see so many of posts here since yesterday with guys who already have the 10.5" iPad Pro and are trying to justify how they don't care anything for a face is iPad Pro ! I mean why convince others that what is coming is not apt for them so may not be also for everybody else !!

18. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Since there will be a small but significant increase in landscape screen space due to the shrunken bezel, I wonder if this will allow a "full sized" app in split screen like the current 12.9 can do.

19. Val-kyrie, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018

Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

I also use the Home button on the iPhone quite a bit, which is partly why I like TouchID. I naturally put my finger on it.

With regard to my iPad, I usually only have the Home button on the bottom or on the right when in landscape mode (because I am right handed).

I get that, but I prefer TouchID for authorizing purchases, allowing my spouse and daughter to unlock my iOS devices (in case of emergency), and requiring interaction so I consciously choose to unlock my device. There are times when I simply want to check the time or a notification on my iPhone but I wouldn't want to unlock the device. This seems problematic with FaceID.

20. HVDynamo macrumors 6502

Well, in fairness he did say he could care less. Perhaps this wasn't a misuse of the phrase I couldn't care less after all.

21. geromi912 macrumors regular

no, just no

22. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Why not? Would you rather use TouchID? Passcode?

23. BlankSlate macrumors regular

I currently have an iPad Pro 12,9 screen, and I don’t want to replace it with a smaller iPad. Hopefully they won’t abandon the 12,9 size in their future lineup, I would really love FaceID but not at the cost of a smaller screen.

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Man I need to get an iPad soon, but am trying to hold out. I'm guessing I won't be able to do anything until September because they wouldn't release things in summer, by Shire reckoning.

25. geromi912 macrumors regular

1. The edge on the MacBook/iMac is too thin for the depth sensing camera
    2. Completely unnecessary expense. How often do you have to log into your Mac compared to a phone? Most people just leave it open for the whole day and maybe only log in 3-5 times a day. I log into my phone closer to 100 times a day. Mac users would rather the cost is spent on more powerful components and decent cooling.