New Expose: Seriously?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darbyclash34, Sep 15, 2009.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

Who is this supposed to help? Look at the example I've provided. I might as well have my damn safari window minimized on the dock for all the good its doing. Who the hell did they redesign Expose for? It was perfect, incredibly usable. Now I can't find windows when I use it, it's just not nearly as efficient. I want the old one back!

Attached Files:

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

3. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

The safari window is minimised in the dock, thats why its small and thats also why its below that line.

Its a great new feature for expose. Anything thats minimised in the dock will show up beneath that thin line you can see in your screenshot when you activate expose.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I agree. If you only have a few windows open - it sucks compared with 10.5 (aside from the minimized window, which only makes it worse). But, if you have a lot of windows open, it actually works pretty well. The problem is, most of the time I have about the same number open as you and we're back to "suck" mode.

About the only thing we can do right now is send in user feedback at Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I thought it was one of the better features with Expose, helps me keep track of the minimised windows, they could still do with working out a few of the graphics bugs, seems far too jumpy. Took a few releases of Leopard before it was properly sorted.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Absolutely. For as "cluttered" and spread out as old Exposé was, I found it much more useful in most cases -- especially when having just a few windows open.

7. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I'll admit to the egg on my face about the minimized window, but that actually has me questioning the functionality even more. If I had more windows open, as I typically do, the last thing I want taking up screen real estate is a minimized window. I minimized it for a reason! I really don't think this expose is nearly as intuitive or effective as the previous version. thanks to the poster suggesting I go back to Leopard, thats a useful tip, I'll run out and buy the older operating system for $129 when my brand new machine came with Snow Leopard. Appreciate it.

8. Kate. macrumors regular

In all fairness, you didn't mention in your initial post that this is a new machine that came running Snow Leopard. Many posters on this forum have reverted back to Leopard for a variety of reasons. Other members can help but they can't read minds.

9. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Not everyone works the same, but this is a real improvement to the system.

First, the windows are not flung willy-nilly about the screen in Expose, but in an orderly grid. This is aesthetically pleasing and easier to scan. There are tradeoffs, but I agree with others that it's an improvement.

Second, including minimized Windows in Expose makes sense: Expose is now a tool to choose among all running programs. Previously it was pointless if you were looking for an app you had hidden (especially if you'd forgotten it was hidden and not presently active). You say you "minimized for a reason". Presumably it was to reduce visual clutter in the workspace, not to reduce Expose "clutter", nor to completely remove the program from easy access by all but Alt-Tab and Dock clicking.

This also makes sense with the added Dock Expose: click and hold a Dock icon and that one program is shown in Expose with any minimized and subordinate windows shown in smaller form.

I say give it some time: Expose has been given a real tune-up!

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I guess I'm the only one that hides windows. They stay out of Expose completely.

And I like that all windows now have titles beneath them. At least I can find the one I want now compared to when they all were the size of postage stamps and pretty much all looked the same.

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I never really used Exposé because of the way I handle app management...

I use Spaces ALL the time (I really can't do without it), so I keep certain apps in certain spaces, and I either click on the app in the Dock (once in awhile), or more commonly, I hit my middle mouse button (F8), which zooms out to all my spaces, and I just click the space I want.

I also frequently do the command-arrow to move back and forth between 2 spaces. I just don't have a good reason to use Exposé most of the time. (I do use hot corners to start my screensaver/screen lock though.)

12. wankey macrumors 6502a

New expose is good. But they seriously need to KEEP improving on it. It's too annoying that it's like 2 releases after the original and they've done really nothing other than grid view to Expose.

13. err404 macrumors 68020

You seem to be suggesting that it is fundamentally flawed in some way? Do you have any suggestions?
    For most people, it's a fairly well implemented solution already. The issues that people are having in SL are fairly minimal and are confined just to sort order and positioning, not the core functionality.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Forgive my ignorance but I'm failing to see the issue. The OPs attachment looks ok by me.

What's the issue?

15. damian001 macrumors newbie

You think you have it bad?
    I can't read anything! Look how small my windows are!

Attached Files:

16. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I actually prefer the new Expose and I'm not even sure what the OP's complaint is. You can't read the text on the windows - then click on them....

17. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

The amount of minor (and entirely subjective) complaints people are coming up with about SL is amazing. I honestly don't see anything to complain about. Expose is much, much better than it was in Leopard.

18. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm starting to see why there are Expose complaints. I don't understand how a minimized window should be larger than those that aren't:

Attached Files:

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

20. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

You know that if you move the mouse over a window and hit the space bar it makes that window bigger and then you can move the mouse around to other windows and they automatically get bigger.

Now I do have to admit that that is quite a stupid flaw.

21. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

The new Exposé is fantastic, IMHO. If the window previews are too small for you, just press the spacebar while in Exposé and it'll do something awesome. :)

22. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I always thought Expose was supposed to be a type of application switcher. A glorified Alt+Tab.

I have never thought about trying to read anything in Expose. Only to switch back and forth between full screen windows.

23. TennisandMusic

Why? The new expose works horribly as a window switcher. Sure it looks nicer in that it's all sized and aligned, but it is certainly slower to work with and many people seem to feel this way.

24. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Meh, nearly all changes Apple makes, I find is something just preferential. After about a weeks use, I just shrug it off and start finding the old way a bit weird. But I'm kind of adaptable like that.

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What background is that?

And I agree, the new expose sucks... but then again I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis yet :)