New Footage Captures Drone Crash Over Apple Park

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It's been well over two years since monthly drone updates have been shared online covering the construction progress of Apple's second campus in California, called Apple Park. Over the weekend, drone videographer Matthew Roberts posted his latest video on YouTube, but instead of covering the newest updates to the campus, the video captured a drone that malfunctioned and crashed over Apple Park.

Roberts said the crashed drone's operator got in touch with him, asking for help in locating the downed drone on Apple's new campus and sharing the footage from the crash with Roberts. The drone that crashed is said to be one of DJI's devices, so the owner was able to review a cached version of the video on the DJI app on their phone/tablet following the incident. "There were no signs of premature failure," the owner said, and it's still unclear why the drone malfunctioned.

Roberts eventually discovered the drone crashed among the solar panels on the roof of the main Apple Park building. The drone's owner has contacted Apple and notified them of the incident, and Roberts said that "it remains to be seen" if Apple will return the drone back to its owner. In the video, it appears that the drone has remained mostly intact following the crash.

[​IMG]

In the latest monthly update of Apple Park shared by Roberts earlier in February, the new campus was described as seeing increased activity from employees now that more have moved in, with bicycles appearing throughout parking lots and on walkways. The maintenance facility has also been completed, but Apple is still working on landscaping in a large area located between the main building and Steve Jobs Theater.

Article Link: New Footage Captures Drone Crash Over Apple Park

2. jacobh101 macrumors regular

3. triton100 macrumors 6502

Hopefully Apple will reply to him with an invoice for repair of damage to solar panels.
    Just like if someone had crashed their drone on his house.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why not use another drone to lift and take the “crashed” drone away? I don’t know much of drones, but seems logical since many of these devices can lift themselves twice over now.

5. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Are there laws for drones flying over private property like that, especially for such a secretive company?
    This seems dangerous, it could have broken one of the solar panels or even hit someone if it fell in the park area.

6. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

An unknown error caused the drone to crash. The drone should be named High Sierra.

7. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Damm he is lucky that the solar panels seams intact.
    Not damages one would like to pay.

Drones are fast becoming a nuisance in the hands of privat persons. No regard for privat property.
    (Of course not all of them)

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

new industry, drone tow trucks.

I would think the rigging would be challenging.

9. Junior117 macrumors regular

Not only am I nearly certain that Apple will not give it back to him (I hope I'm wrong, but knowing Apple...), but they are probably going to now make it explicitly clear that you are not allowed to fly drones above the campus without permission.

This probably means no more flyover footage, which is a shame, because I've always looked forward to those at the beginning of every month. :(

10. makr macrumors regular

As far as I know there is no such attachment for grabbing items with a drone. But you can still attach a fish hook and try to lift other drone with it, however if the other drone is stuck and you cannot undone the hook then you'd have two drones need to be recovered from that roof. :)

11. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

should pull and upload the DJI flight logs

12. Thats_what_she macrumors newbie

Must be an older gen drone running the newest OS with batt. problems.

13. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

got another drone with a hook on it and grab it back? No clue if thats even possible or not??

14. docziandras macrumors newbie

docziandras

When I was a kid we used to have our footballs kicked over a fence just to never see them again. Now drones do the same.

15. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Probably the drone was running on High Sierra....
    I wonder how Apple reacted though. Were they angry? I mean - it still hit a solar panel.

16. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Get Amazon to have one of their delivery drones pick it up?

17. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Oh, that’s gonna suck! Probably a massive bill.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Watching the segments with the crash, all I could think was “Game over, man!”

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suspect the drone was running the iOS 11 beta :p

19. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

...and if that one crashes, get an even bigger drone to lift the first two off.

It's drones, all the way up...

20. tardegrade macrumors regular

tardegrade

Apple HQ Lazer Defence Shield, primary test - successful.

21. now i see it macrumors 68030

22. jybrick macrumors newbie

If you remember, a few years ago Apple was quite upset about one of their lost phones not being returned. It would be hypocritical of them not to return the drone.

23. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Drones should be forbidden for most people, luckily we have laws here to prevent such behaviour, even better, later on you need to get expensive papers for them.

Drones are no toys, even though most people think they are.

24. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Forbidden?