Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just passed the old one...let's see how high we go today.

Picture 2.png

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
What exactly are people looking for, the iPhone just came out and I don't think the news will be as fast.

I won't be impressed until the counter hits 10,000 :p

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
*sigh*

this is a product which is only relevant to Americans (until the end of the year for Europeans, and mid-next year for Asians), and it gets more attention than keynote addresses, which sometimes have an instant affect for all Mac users everywhere.

i guess my priorities are different to everyone elses...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
8,139 as of 6:15...it's down about 300 in the last 15 minutes. :D

Server is taking it like a champ. No delays at all.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
*sigh*

this is a product which is only relevant to Americans (until the end of the year for Europeans, and mid-next year for Asians), and it gets more attention than keynote addresses, which sometimes have an instant affect for all Mac users everywhere.

Can't really compare it to keynotes. We intentionally hide the forums away before, during and after the keynotes to protect them - the traffic during keynotes is massively more than the site is getting at the moment. The previous forum record was set quite some time after the keynote finished, once the majority of the traffic had gone.

What I wasn't expecting is it to rise so quickly... it had been sitting at about 4,000 online for ages prior to 6pm then just exploded - 4k to 8k in 15 minutes.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think we hit our peak... very awesome!! It's amazing how many people viewing and guests. at one point I read 600 members and 7,000 guests :eek:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Can't use forum spy though.

Meh. I'm just happy things are loading so fast, even on dialup (I'm at work and there are no customers because they're all at the 4th of july fireworks in town, so I'm hijacking our phoneline for some interwebs :p). It's faster now, even with 8000 people online and on dialup than it has been with no load on DSL at home.

Also, I think that forum spy was disabled intentionally to limit the load...I think it causes a pretty serious server strain.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
I've only had 'server busy' messages for the past 40 minutes or so. Curses. :(

On the main forums?

The spy is on a different server from the main forums, unfortunately at the moment that server is having to cope with a bit more than it can handle.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
On the main forums?

The spy is on a different server from the main forums, unfortunately at the moment that server is having to cope with a bit more than it can handle.
I got the 'server busy' messages on the spy, the main forum pages wouldn't load at all – I got an error type message of some description but I couldn't tell you exactly what it said.

Not much use, am I? :p

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Looks like the attachment server died though...

No, it's fine... really it's fine.... *sobs*

load average: 147.16, 101.49, 72.96

;)

I think it's been rescued now.. at least for the moment :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I thought this was exciting to see it spike in just 15 minutes for the first record breaking, and then almost exactly an hour later, spike up to a second and new one. I was only able to catch it at 8680, and snapped it a minute too early it looks like, since it went higher to 8744, but that was fun.

And to Knox and all, I thought the MR boards handled the load like a champ.

BTW - are there any aftershocks expected to occur in the next few hours?

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 107

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm surprised,

I never thought our current configuration could handle 8000+ users. We did run into a bottleneck though, and that was the attachments. we'll work on that next time

arn

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I'm surprised,

I never thought our current configuration could handle 8000+ users. We did run into a bottleneck though, and that was the attachments. we'll work on that next time

arn

I think a temporary block on attachments when there are more than x number of active users would be acceptable and would work quite well, though I must say that overall I was very impressed. None of the stalling, lagging, dropping out and stuff that used to happen after keynotes with half as many users online.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I think a temporary block on attachments when there are more than x number of active users would be acceptable and would work quite well, though I must say that overall I was very impressed. None of the stalling, lagging, dropping out and stuff that used to happen after keynotes with half as many users online.

Agreed...the forums held up beautifully. The problem with blocking attachments is that high load times are frequently times when we want to be seeing pics...we're all waiting for pics and screenshots of the iPhone, so it should be easy to post them. Yes, we can direct people to external hosting sites, but it's most convenient to be able to host them here. I think it's reasonable to think that we can devote more resources to keeping attachments functional. Each time we go through this we find a limiting factor and address it for the next time, which reveals a new (hopefully less constricting) bottleneck.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
didn't want to start a new thread over this....

Little gripe/question/comment: The avatars.
The system is set to collect all the data for the changes every 3 hours and then apply them at that time, right? It makes sense but it doesn't seem to be working, at least not for me. I changed my avatar 12 hours ago and it shows in my profile but not on the pages I post. I did it again for the heck of it a while back too, no change.

It's not a big deal but it's slightly annoying and I wondered what was up with it. :eek:

P.S. The forums have held up remarkably well, especially under the circumstances. So I'm not all complaints here. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.