NEW G5 Xserve 2.0 on the bay

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Surrat, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's incredibly tempting, although I have no idea where I would put it or what I would do with it. I had my cursor hovering over the "buy it now" button for probably a minute :)

That copy of 10.4 server is worth a pretty penny by itself...

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You could always send it to me!

For storage of course! :D

4. dyt1983, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

6. Surrat thread starter macrumors 6502

Surrat

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just bought it...

No idea what I'm going to do with it, but that was too good to pass up. I'll find something to do with it. Only Apple could make a rack mount server look that good :)

Heck, it's the first copy of 10.4 server I've personally seen for sale, and from what I understand that's not too far off from the price they usually bring.

Look for photos when it arrives!

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

LOL so you can sell the disks for the same price and get a free Xserve :)

10. Surrat thread starter macrumors 6502

Surrat

Congrats man, I actually had the auction up on my screen and was trying to decide if I was going to click BIN... lol

In the end, its better, so I can concentrate on my xserve g4 1.33, I located the rare agp riser for it, so thats on its way too. :)

11. bunnspecial, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks!

Do you know if such a beast(the AGP riser) exists for the G5?

Truth be told, though, if I can ever get my PCI 5200 flashed, I'll probably just put it in the X-serve(or just live with running it headless). If my cousin would ever get back to me about running ethernet lines, I could put it up on a shelf in the closet then use VNC to run it from my Quicksilver. I could pretty easily offload the tasks that tax the Quicksilver to it.

An hour ago, I had no idea how I would use it, but now that I've bought the beast I'm trying to make excuses for buying it :)

12. dyt1983, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

13. Surrat thread starter macrumors 6502

Surrat

Apple sold the AGP riser option with radeon 8500 for the 0.01% of customers that got an xserve to use as a workstation, they even offered a sound card for it, which I'm pretty sure was the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. In that config with video and sound, it was better than all the MDD's except the 1.4ghz. Of course I'm very curious as to how LOUD it is... I really hope its quieter than the xserve raid I have, that thing is so loud I hardly ever turn it on.

As far as I know, they didnt offer anything like that for the G5 versions. PCI your pretty restricted, I guess a nice 5200 or 6200 would be your best choice. I wonder if there is a flashable PCI version of the radeon 9550 or 9600.

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I know Intell has said that the PCI version of the 6200 can cause issues on the PCI bus. The 5200 isn't as good of a card, but these aren't meant to be a graphics powerhouse either.

I need to do some more research on these...it would be really nice if they would support SAS, as I have a BUNCH of 15K SAS drives that I'd like. All of them are currently in IBM SystemX sleds, but that's easy enough to change(assuming I can find a few Xserve sleds).

I know that my 3U IBM servers are uncomfortably loud in use...in all honesty compared to those the X Serves actually seem a bit underbuilt. My IBMs have redundant hot-swappable PSUs as well as hot-swappable fans(14 of them in all-which is a lot of the reason why they're so loud).

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

umm, ok

Congrats! I knew that deal was too good for someone on this forum to pass up.

16. Surrat thread starter macrumors 6502

Surrat

You need the intel xserves to use sas drives, the G5 doesnt support that. Fans in the xserve are hot swap at least. :)

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Well, so much for that...

I guess I'll have to save the SAS drives for the IBMs.

18. Surrat thread starter macrumors 6502

Surrat

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think any G5 Xserve ever had the option of AGP. The G4 did, but the G5 was PCI only.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

You could use it to drown out the noise of just about anything- Construction equipment, crying babies, earthquakes, jet engines, nuclear explosions, etc.

Or you could start rebuilding VA Tech's super computer...

Congrats on the purchase though, looks like you got quite a deal.

21. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I owned 3 9550 cards and can tell you with 99% certinity that there IS NO 9550 for the PCI bus (I would of bought one over the FX 5500 PCI card i have if there was) the BEST you can get in the 9000 series in PCI is a 9250.

22. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This mess rarely gets turned on for that reason. I was wrong about the number of fans-they have 10 rather than 14(not counting the PSU fans). When you push the power button, they all run at full blast for about 5 seconds and sounds like a helicopter about to take off. Even idling, they make plenty of racket.

The top one of the stack is set up as a file server, although it hasn't been on in months because it uses too much power(although with 6 15K SAS drives in RAID 5, it's FAST). One the ones in the stack(the dual quad core) may get hackintoshed one of these days if I ever get around to it. One is going to get parted out since it I don't trust it after it took a tumble out of the trunk of my car-I didn't realize my trunk was open, and it was on the top of the stack when I pulled away at a stoplight.

Attached Files:

23. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

HAHAHA YOU LEFT THE TRUNK OPEN LOL
    how can you not know your trunk is open?! xD

24. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The trunk open button on my remote sits "high" and it often inadvertently gets pushed in my pocket-sometimes at inopportune times.

In this particular case, I had apparently hit it somewhere in the process of getting the keys out of my pocket. When this happens, the trunk doesn't actually open all the way, but just pops up a little bit. Vibration from driving will usually open it up all the way.

Generally, it's not a problem, as I can just pull over and shut it. I don't normally have a stack of servers in the trunk :rolleyes:

I also managed to miss the warning on the instrument panel about the trunk being ajar in this case, as I was trying to make sure the servers stacked in the back seat(I had a bunch of these things at the time) were secure.

25. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

sounds like u got a Chevy.....