Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Is anybody else excited to see the new smartphones that will be announced? Im very interested to see the new HTC 4.7 HD screen with Tegra 3 quad core and Android 4.0. SGS3 seems wont be announced till March or so.

Im not really planning on buying one, since my iPhone 4 with jailbreak is more than enough for now, but I still love to see new smartphones, since they are my favourite gadgets.

Maybe even new tablets would be cool.

Just imagine how awesome that 4.7 720p screen will be...

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
There are newer and better Android phones almost every month :\

I used to be excited about that.. but now... eh.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm excited because I get to see what new hardware and software offerings manufacturers have come up with and all the unique devices they've created.

Too bad after it's over everyone has to sit through 10 months of 100+ "new" phones that are basically the exact same as those devices but with a different case and brand name on them.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
That's because Apple's competitors don't have the guts (or the willpower) to do what Apple did with the cellphone companies in the US. Even Microsoft doesn't have the guts to do that. Have you seen their behavior regarding WP7 updates lately? The carriers complained that Microsoft was making them look bad by announcing updates for phones where the carrier refused to provide an update because they wanted the customer to get a new phone.

Phone manufacturers would probably LOVE to produce 1 phone for the entire world market. The R&D would go down, 1 model would be cheaper & easier to market, and the quality could go up (both because of lower R&D costs and stronger brand recognition).

On the other hand, carriers really love exclusives - whether it be by screwing up a nice phone and putting a cut-rate, crappy skin over android, or by slapping their name on a phone that's been out in Europe 10 months already.

TL;DR: Apple has a strong identity. The other guys haven't quite gotten there yet.

(Interestingly, Android as a platform has a very strong identity [yay little green robot!] WP7 also has a very strong identity [those block tiles]), but they both lack a strong hardware identity just yet.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Are there really? Or are you just saying that because the face is a single piece of black glass with an LCD in the middle? I agree, they should use colored glass [REALLY WISHFUL THINKING: Match the color of the phone for once]

I love the white iPhone and would love to see a silver one. Now uh.. if they could make the silver iPhone have an aluminum unibody with a matte screen? Yea that'd be great.

There used to be a time where not a week would go by without Samsung showing off a new phone on engadget. Meanwhile they'd continue to proclaim the Nokia whatever was the best phone on earth (they still do actually!)

On the other hand, gizmodo got banned from Apple events and they've been kissing Apple's butt so hard it isn't even funny

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

I'm looking forward to it. I was hoping to see something of the Galaxy S III at MWC but it seems it isn't to be.

Looking forward to seeing the N910 from Nokia & news on WP7'S future.

Also looking for any signs of HTC's "Hero strategy" to see how they're going to dig themselves out of the hole they've gotten themselves in to.

Not sure if Samsung can impress me without a GSIII but they may pull something out of the hat.

Will be nice to see some cheaper Android 4.0 and Windows Phone 7.5 handsets from ZTE, Huawei and the like.

I will say the only two big events I really look forward to now are the iPhone an Nexus unveilings but MWC is a close third.

We have an upgrade on one of our lines due in May so MWC should help us decide what to get (or wait out for) :)

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
My buddy next door is a Windows and Android guy....gets the magazines etc. yep, some nice looking IPhone copies are coming out this month...:D

iPhone copies? ZzZzZzZz don't you people ever get tired of thinking Apple invented the mobile phone?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Android phone refreshes have become so boring that I'm starting to be more interested in reading about Windows Phone.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
To each their own !

It would be boring if we all had the same manufacturer of phone.

No android haters or apple fanboys !!

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Is anybody else excited to see the new smartphones that will be announced? Im very interested to see the new HTC 4.7 HD screen with Tegra 3 quad core and Android 4.0. SGS3 seems wont be announced till March or so.

Im not really planning on buying one, since my iPhone 4 with jailbreak is more than enough for now, but I still love to see new smartphones, since they are my favourite gadgets.

Maybe even new tablets would be cool.

Just imagine how awesome that 4.7 720p screen will be...

The tegra 3 doesn't impress me at all. It is yet another gimped processor by nvidia. The Tegra 2 was gimped and the tegra 3 is cut from the same cloth....hardly any memory bandwidth. To put it in perspective the tegra 3 has less memory bandwidth than current gen dual cores like the A5 (iphone 4S), exynos 4410 (galaxy s2), and omap 4460 (galaxy nexus). It also isn't going to be compatible with the upcoming wifi display technology due to be brought to phones via OTA update this summer (as of right now the only current gen processor that is capable of it is the omap 4 series). I'm just not impressed at all by the tegra 3.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm sorry and I don't want to look like a dumb fanboy, but the only new "high end phone" I will look at will be iPhone 5, later this year ...

After tying several Android phones (Sony, HTC and Samsung, including Galaxy S Plus) and the new Lumia 800 with WP Mango, I'd stick with the iPhone environment ...

Nothing compares ...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.75 Mobile Safari/535.7)

Max(IT) said:
I'm sorry and I don't want to look like a dumb fanboy, but the only new "high end phone" I will look at will be iPhone 5, later this year ...

After tying several Android phones (Sony, HTC and Samsung, including Galaxy S Plus) and the new Lumia 800 with WP Mango, I'd stick with the iPhone environment ...

Nothing compares ...

If anyone thinks you're a dumb fanboy for having a personal preference, they themselves would be constituted as dumb from my perspective.

It's good that we all have choices out there to prefer one (or more) platform over another.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
vive la différence

I am squarely invested in the iPhone camp. However, I welcome competition/innovation. It's, however, up to Apple to decide whether new features on competitors' phones make it to the iPhone. However, even the iPhone 4S is derivative of the original iPhone. Rectangular touch screen, with a faster processor, more memory, and a few hardware tweaks. Perhaps RFID, 4G, etc. The software has been the real advancement. But changes have been evolutionary, not revolutionary.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Android releases way too many phones a year, and all come with different firmwares. I have no clue why the upcoming Galaxy Note isn't coming with ICS, but instead will be using Gingerbread, I believe. I'm sure developers will put ICS on it but it should be standard!

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Android releases way too many phones a year, and all come with different firmwares. I have no clue why the upcoming Galaxy Note isn't coming with ICS, but instead will be using Gingerbread, I believe. I'm sure developers will put ICS on it but it should be standard!

coz when carriers release new phones with ICS, they would wanna sell them out too..

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I'd rather see a new high end battery to power the suckers for more than half a day. What good are all these new latest and greatest "features" if the battery can't keep up?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wonder if apple is going to think of something that hasnt already been done in the next iPhone.

I enjoy my 4s but there is nothing that hasn't already been done that I couldn't have been doing on another phone nearly a year prior.

I'm not really too invested in specs I just want results. If a 20 core processor is better then that's great, if it can't do anything better then my dual core then I'm really not that interested.

Think about it. Everyone calls everyone else copiers but what will the next iPhone incorporate that is new and refreshing? LTE been done, bigger screen been done, NFC been done, better gps been done, barometer for insanely accurate gps been done, widgets been done etc etc

I think the next iPhone will have to really come up with something crazy and useful to keep a gadget guy like me interested. I actually like Siri but they are going to have to do much better then that! Wasn't even innovative and it's implementation is worse.

Will apple get the "fallen behind" or "copier" moniker with the next iPhone release? Thoughts?

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Will apple get the "fallen behind" or "copier" moniker with the next iPhone release? Thoughts?

Who can say. I actually hope the next iphone isn't so awesome that I lust over it. I just picked up a 4S and of course will have to wait 18 months- 2 years to upgrade. I'm hoping the "messiah" of iphones is the iPhone 6.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Its interesting because apple's core philosophy is to always innovate. But yet at the same time they practice very gradual change, introducing things slowly to the masses. Bit how slow can you go before you're not innovating anymore? As someone else said apple hasn't introduced anything truly new. Can they market and spin old features to relevance and popularity/ definitely. But are they innovating?

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Its interesting because apple's core philosophy is to always innovate. But yet at the same time they practice very gradual change, introducing things slowly to the masses. Bit how slow can you go before you're not innovating anymore? As someone else said apple hasn't introduced anything truly new. Can they market and spin old features to relevance and popularity/ definitely. But are they innovating?

The Germans dop this as well. Instead of creating something new they work to make what exists better. "German Engineering" is what I think Apple does best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.