Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Is it me or do these mac ads seem to lose sight of what the mac can do? The pc guy is much more personable than the mac guy. Is that how Apple wants to portray the mac vs the pc?

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
We're all Mac users, so we are not the target of these advertisements.
It's very hard for us to see what effect this has on "PC" people, I suppose the marketing directors know more than us on what the public wants or not :)

Give them a break, I found'em funny, and the Mac guy is looking less arrogant, which is good.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
yesss! apple finally made some ads that are funny. the last batch was nearly the end for these type of comercials, i mean come on therapy? that was lame. and the pc home movie wasn't funny either.The new ones made me laugh even though i was expecting garbage. "come on c++ GUI programming guide" this is pure genius :D and the sales pitch was great and the last one made me reailze that alot of kids on campus have sticker on their macbooks too. ( most of which are placed in such a way as to look like puke on a pretty white plate). stickers on electrion is devices is so ps1.:rolleyes:

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Mac adds

As fun as they are, I think Apple needs to rethink these adds a bit.

They seem to be focussing a lot on the fun stuff, slowly burning the message into Joe average that mac's are fun ONLY. And yes they are fun and easy to use, but perhaps we could focus a bit on science and business more.
Science: how about PC in a chemistry lab full of bubbling fluids etc (that goes horribly wrong), while mac has succesful lab results with ease...
Business: Mac working out his book keeping, and PC being awestruck that Mac's numbers are right on the mark.

Lets emphasise that Mac's can be 'Seriously' fun too!

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I personally like the adds, but it opens the door to things being thrown back in our face if these vulnerabilies get exploited... I can just see cocky PC users: "Macs dont' get viruses eh?"... I hope not but still.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I know a lot of folks think Apple should be busy talking up how Macs do business apps and playing down the fun, cool aspect, but the more I think about it, the more I believe Apple is exactly right to position the ads they way they do. We technophiles who have been plugged into the so-called 'digital lifestyle' for several years now forget that the average joe or jane computer consumer is really only beginning to tap into using a computer to do more than email, web-surf, and maybe do a little work on the weekends.
It is this massive market that Apple is aiming at. Why target business? The current batch of IT guru's has already made up their minds, and most people don't really want to bring their work home. you have to soften that market up a little before you can knock down that wall.
For many folks, doing something fun but productive on their computer is intriguing and fresh. Right now, a lot of folks are trying to hook up camcorders and cameras to their PC's, and this is not as easy for the average person as it might be for the folks reading this forum. Even though we all know that you can do all of this stuff on a Windows box, it is still so much more seamless on a Mac, particularly for the targeted technologically-challenged unwashed masses.
Show them the Mac does all this stuff really well. Get them intrigued by the possibilities. Just get them to walk into an Apple Store, and the Mac can sell itself. Particularly when there are plenty of us helpful Mac users grazing through the store to combat the condescension of the blackshirts.;)
If Apple can build a bit more market share this way, at some point two things can happen: [1] there will be a greater demand for Mac compatibility in the workplace as more people use them at home and [2], IT people entering the work force will have been exposed to the Mac and be more comfortable creating work environments where, at the very least, Macs can work alongside Windows.
This isn't gonna happen overnight. If you look back over the past 1-2 years, you can see how far Apple has moved already. give them another 5-7 years and let's see where they are. Have faith.:)

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Is it me or do these mac ads seem to lose sight of what the mac can do? The pc guy is much more personable than the mac guy. Is that how Apple wants to portray the mac vs the pc?

I actually agree with that - initially they were portraying the PC as more arogant... Now I start liking the PC. I kind of feel bad for him and I start liking him more than the mac kid... I don't know, slow down apple, be nice...

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Yeah, it's starting to get a little out of touch. They're funny, but people seem to be liking PC more than Mac. Nevertheless, the point seems to get across: Macs are cool; because the people casually walking in the busy Apple store seem to be drooling more over the macs now than iPods.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it's starting to get a little out of touch. They're funny, but people seem to be liking PC more than Mac. Nevertheless, the point seems to get across: Macs are cool; because the people casually walking in the busy Apple store seem to be drooling more over the macs now than iPods.

This is true. Even though the PC guy is becoming more personal and likable, the market share is proving that the same people that like the PC guy are like the Macintosh computer when they go to the stores...so. The one with the C++ GUI programming guide had me on the floor. That one is hilarious. :D

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Every now and then a Mac commercial comes on that makes me proud to own several Macs.

Those three weren't.

Aside from Justin Long not looking like he's had a bath in about a week (were these commercials meant for the European market??)..

The 'sales' commercial seemed a little stupid. I mean, what's the message? That Macs are taking over and the PC is going down the drain? If you think that's the truth, you might want to consider laying off the pipe.

The 'work' commercial seems to send the message that the PC isn't very well suited for music and video editing.. but says nothing about the Macs ability to do it any better.. in fact, it kind of leaves the impression that the PC is the platform to do practical work on.

I'm waiting for the commercial where the PC comes out wearing some super cool outfit and brags about the sweet games he's been playing over the network with his friends, and asks the Mac what he did, and he says.. uhh.. I edited a video of my grandmas 101st birthday.

Good times.

In fact, that's all I ever seem to hear the Mac character ever say.. is ohh I can edit movies and make photo albums.

charkshark

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Aargh,I gotta go listen to some emo. The PC guy is becoming to likable for comfort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.