New iMac, 10.8-Inch iPad Air, and Larger iPad Mini Rumored to Launch in Second Half of 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is gearing up to launch new iMac and iPad models in the second half of this year, according to DigiTimes, casting uncertainty on whether we'll see a redesigned iMac at WWDC just 10 days from now as recently rumored.

The second half of the year begins just over a week after the WWDC keynote, so it's possible we could see an announcement there with shipping happening a bit later, but DigiTimes would likely have used a more specific timeframe than the vague "second-half 2020" if the launch were that close.

DigiTimes also lists a series of new screen sizes for various iPads and the iMac, although this appears to largely be a regurgitation of previous rumors.
Apple's new offerings for second-half 2020 are likely to include a 10.8-inch iPad Air and a 23-inch iMac device, with prospects to also release an 8.x-inch iPad mini and 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini LED display in the first half of 2021, said the sources.

Apple is also expected to enlarge the size of 2020 iPad Air to 10.8-inch compared to the 10.2-inch one launched in 2019, said the sources, adding that volume production of the new iPad Air is to kick off in the third quarter 2020.

Major panel suppliers for the planned 10.8-inch iPad Air include LG Display, BOE Technology and Sharp, with Radiant being the sole BLU supplier, the sources added.
The new 10.8-inch iPad and 8- to 9-inch iPad mini sizes were previously rumored by Ming-Chi Kuo, while the 23-inch iMac size was mentioned by China Times in April.

There has been some uncertainty about this new 10.8-inch iPad and whether it is a basic iPad or an iPad Air, and DigiTimes' report today only adds to the confusion by claiming that it is an iPad Air that will see an increase of from 10.2 inches to 10.8 inches. The iPad Air in fact has a 10.5-inch screen, while it is the entry-level iPad that has a 10.2-inch display.

Article Link: New iMac, 10.8-Inch iPad Air, and Larger iPad Mini Rumored to Launch in Second Half of 2020

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Digitimes......digitimes as a leaker can be everyone from here...you just have to wait for kuo or mark to speak, then you copy paste what they say and call it "your" rumours

Reactions: araadt

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Will this be the last Intel based iMac?
Probably not. I’d imagine they start introducing ARM chips on the lowest end models and then gradually work their way up the line over the course of years as they get better and software is adapted for them.

AvisDeene

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Will this be the last Intel based iMac?
It is possible. It depends on how confident Apple is with the current desktop chips that they're working on. I could see them releasing a lower cost iMac for the average user and keep the Intel chips for their Pro line.

Eventually, they will go all out on their own chips. My question then would be - Would macOS and iOS be fully merged or would they still be separate operating systems?

dz5b609

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
If there was really a redesigned iMac ready to ship it would have been leaked by now, at least partially.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
I don't like how EVERYONE mentions screen sizes using one diagonal measurement. It's a worthless dimension. A "8 inch screen" could be 8 inches at a 4:3 ratio or 8 inches at a 16:9 or even skinnier ratio (or a square).

Regardless — I'm keenly interested in the larger iPad Mini. I sure hope it has a narrower aspect ratio to better fit playing modern videos

cknibbs

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Probably not. I’d imagine they start introducing ARM chips on the lowest end models and then gradually work their way up the line over the course of years as they get better and software is adapted for them.
I think you will see ARM processors on the portable side first before the desktop side.

Reactions: whatta and dz5b609

PutTheFBackIn

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
Digitimes......digitimes as a leaker can be everyone from here...you just have to wait for kuo or mark to speak, then you copy paste what they say and call it "your" rumours
Hey it works for Jon Prosser 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, color me heartbroken if the redesigned iMac isn’t shown at WWDC.

dz5b609

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
The Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR were realesed without any leaks, right?
But those are niche products especially for Apple which probably had a production run before the announcement of maybe a couple hundred units. that's a lot easier to hide in production and in part orders than an iMac is.

Reactions: whatta

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple might just bring out a 27" or larger iMac at WWDC and the smaller version later. The 2019 iMacs always seemed somewhat . . . half-baked to me.
If there was really a redesigned iMac ready to ship it would have been leaked by now, at least partially.
Or the rumored "cheaper" ~24" iMac will be released at WWDC and the 27" either is the same with a spec-bump or a new model is released later in the year. The 27" model is assumed to get 10th Generation CPUs and those are fairly hotter than the existing 9th Generation chips so they 27" might need new cooling so it is taking more time to adapt (also 10th Gen CPUs for desktops just started shipping this month).

The iMac Pro is also rumored to get a refresh at the end of the year (when RDNA 2 GPUs are available) with a new MiniLED 27" display so that could be the model they are referring to.

Reactions: kazmac and Dosing

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I don't like how EVERYONE mentions screen sizes using one diagonal measurement. It's a worthless dimension. A "8 inch screen" could be 8 inches at a 4:3 ratio or 8 inches at a 16:9 or even skinnier ratio (or a square).

Regardless — I'm keenly interested in the larger iPad Mini. I sure hope it has a narrower aspect ratio to better fit playing modern videos
A narrower aspect ratio on the mini will make it much less useful in portrait as a reading device - this is an area where it is superior to the phablet style phones.

Only one iPad (the 11 inch pro) has ever had an aspect ratio other than 4:3 and they only did that (I understand) to maintain keyboard usability.

Reactions: 26139 and firewood
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.