New iMac and Mac Mini Models to Retain Current Pricing, Add 8 GB RAM Module Options

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac reports that prices for Apple's new iMac and Mac mini coming next week will be in line with current pricing, almost certainly confirming that the new iMac models will not carry more-expensive Retina displays.
    The news conflicts with a report from earlier this month claiming that the iMac would be seeing a price increase alongside a thinner form factor.

[​IMG]
    In a separate post, 9to5Mac also reports that Apple will for the first time offer 8 GB RAM module options for the iMac and Mac mini. While third-party RAM vendors have long offered 8 GB modules for Apple's machines, Apple itself has sold only 4 GB modules and thus only listed official support for 16 GB of RAM in the iMac and 8 GB in the Mac mini.

The higher-density modules will allow users to configure Mac mini orders with up to a total 16 GB of RAM in the machine's two RAM slots. The iMac could potentially see up to 32 GB of RAM, although that assumes the machine will continue to offer four slots as on the current models. Considering rumors of a thinner profile, this may or may not be the case.

Article Link: New iMac and Mac Mini Models to Retain Current Pricing, Add 8 GB RAM Module Options

2. strwrsfrk, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

strwrsfrk macrumors regular

Hopefully the non-server minis will get quad-core options and a better, discrete GPU. 650m anyone?

3. whawhat macrumors 6502

So does this mean no updated design for the iMac?

4. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

Great, so Apple has allowed themselves to charge even more for RAM upgrades

5. briantology macrumors 6502

Not necessarily, it "almost certainly confirm that the new iMac models will not carry more-expensive Retina displays."

I would assume there will be a redesign, given the delay, unless they were stretching for retina and had to scrap it.

6. WillGonz macrumors member

7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

What does this mean for some of us 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro users? Will Apple change the maximum supported RAM capacity with these modules or will it be something that they reserve for these Mac minis and iMacs considering they are not of a lame duck design (and not "the future of the product line" per se)?

8. JSalig macrumors 6502

Can't ram already be added for less that $50?

9. sasza macrumors member

After so long waiting for new iMacs I can't believe they finally arrive :)

10. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Yes Yes Yes!

The 8 GB RAM increase so what I have been waiting for! I glad I waited after saving up for 3 years! I feel so choked up and happy right now.

Traveling to the states in summer 2013, will buy to additional sticks of 8 GB RAM and push it to 24!!!!

Damn I am so happy right now.

Going for the 27 inch by the way.

11. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

Please no Retina screens! I've got the 2011 model, and I have no idea how I'm going to explain to the wife why I bought one!

12. Razeus macrumors 603

This is good news. Hope it keeps the 4 slots so I can throw in another 8GB in it.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

No word on specs on the iMac? Anyone have a clue what chip they would use?

14. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

15. ollyb macrumors member

I can't actually believe that there are people out there who thought the iMac would come with a retina display, so had put "a little extra aside" to afford the uplift. A 27" retina iMac wouldn't come in at under $15k.

16. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

Please, 4K resolution display for the new iMac :)

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

I didn't expect retina iMacs, but I did hope for them. Ahh well, still excited!

18. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Well, even if there is no design update, does the iMac even need one? It only needs a screen tweaked with less reflection and optical lamination. That's all the design/display needs

19. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I love how all of these "reports" are conflicting and we actually know NOTHING about what's coming in a mere 5 days... I can't wait to place my order next week... new design or not, I need a new machine and will buy SOMETHING next week, whether it's the new model or last year's model with a price drop (finally)

20. vikpt macrumors regular

iMac or 13 in retina Macbook Pro? :confused: dang first world problem lol

21. LastMinuteMike macrumors member

Delay

I hope that the rumor about the new design still is true though, it's the only thing that would explain the delay now...

22. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

2 TB HD Standard

You know what would also be nice, if they pushed the standard 1 TB HD to 2 TB, but I will be happy with the 1 TB.

23. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Who's going to do the Hurry up and take my money sketch?

24. shanmugam macrumors 68020

Graphics

if the slim down, what will happen to GPU? lesser capable?

to go slim, Apple might go with lower wattage like 45Watts desktop parts (Currently it is using 65watt quad core) OR 22nm CPUs are that good for thermals