Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released a new iMac today.

The new iMac provides the following new features:

- Built in iSight
- FrontRow and PhotoBooth Apps
- $1299 for 17" model with 1.9GHz processor
- $1799 for 20" model with 2.1GHz processor

FrontRow - Dazzle your friends with an elegant full-screen media display. Front Row transforms an evening of home movies or TV shows into a blockbuster Hollywood premiere. Or preview actual Hollywood blockbusters from the Apple.com trailer website. Press 'menu' on the new Apple Remote to let Front Row take center stage with large text, intuitive menus and brilliant graphics. No setup required.

PhotoBooth

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Macrumors said:

- Built in iSight
- $1299 for 17" model with 1.5GHz processor

FrontRow - Dazzle your friends with an elegant full-screen media display. Front Row transforms an evening of home movies or TV shows into a blockbuster Hollywood premiere. Or preview actual Hollywood blockbusters from the Apple.com trailer website. Press 'menu' on the new Apple Remote to let Front Row take center stage with large text, intuitive menus and brilliant graphics. No setup required.

PhotoBooth
Umm..that's 1.9 GHz, not 1.5 Ghz. Check the Apple spec pages and store.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Macrumors said:

- Built in iSight
- $1299 for 17" model with 1.5GHz processor

PhotoBooth
Those iMac's are becoming more and more appealing. Still kinda shocked that the PowerBook did not get updated. The iPod Video is cool. One question. Why did they even bother with itunes 5 when it was only out for a a few months. That seemed a little short lived.

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
Man, that iMac is pretty sweet, might have to sell my rev B for it...would be upgrading to 20". I hate having the credit card paid off ;)

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
Educational pricing

The educational pricing on the 20inch model is $1599! Crazy. Make it 1 gig of RAM (with two sticks) and you get $1689. I'm seriously considering my first computer purchase since 1999 (and my 1st-generation PowerMac G4)

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
The price of the new iMac 20-inch model is quoted as $1699 on updated Apple Store.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Updated graphics cards, too

The graphics cards were updated as well...

17": ATI Radeon X600 Pro
21": ATI Radeon X600 XT

Both with 128 MB DDR SDRAM, and both using PCI-Express.

I believe the previous models had ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM via AGP 8x. Can anyone comment on how the X600s compare with the 9600s?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Wow what an amazing update to the iMac. It is really a decent computer!!! I am so wanting to buy it, but i am in the market for a laptop...Well at-least apple did release something computer related...
Oh well..

POWERBOOKS TUESDAY!! :D

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
So the real question is: How does the remote work? Bluetooth or infrared? Can I download FrontRow for a Mac Mini and buy a remote for it, because I would totally do that to hook up to my HDTV.

That said, for the first time, I am really considering the iMac. Pretty awesome.

-p-

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
First, I was wrong on the "no Mac updates" bit.

Second, that's very good GPUs! If it wasn't for some other things I have to do, I'd already have ordered that new 20" iMac G5!

I wonder if they'll release a remote port device and FrontRow for the Mac mini?

signu74

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
are you kidding?

Why in the world would they not update the powerbook? I was holding off on buying a new notebook until today because I wanted to see what apple was going to release! I badly wanted to "make the switch" from windows, and I have no real desire to buy the iBook (even if I am a college student). Hasn't it basically been a year since the last update? :confused:

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
This is almost perfect machine for me..... sadly we did not see any updates for the powerbooks....was contemplating to get one....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yep--it's a little thinner. Otherwise similar in style. I like it:
http://www.apple.com/imac/

Ports are now better placed, along the rear bottom. Mighty Mouse standard. (What about BT?)

Remote looks like a Shuffle. (I probably wouldn't bother to store it on the side, but it's nice to be able to--how does it hold, magnets?)

And as always, the iMac can output to TV.

Is the remote Bluetooth? Looks like it has an IR lens on the end. If so, it would be awkward when running to TV.

Modem is now optional--an external (small, really just a dongle) USB modem for $49. OK I guess for the mid-range, but I hope they don't do that with the Mac Mini or eMac. A lot of people do need dialup, especially low-end customers. (Will that USB modem do faxing?) And of course portables need dialup for traveling.

Faster CPU and GPU.

Should sell great--now how about a black one? :)

Other Macs will come--it couldn't ALL happen today.

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
Not just PCI-express with X600

Also:
512MB of PC2-4200 (533MHz) DDR2 SDRAM

The new Power Macs must be right around the corner!! Damn, I only just got a dual 2.0 :(

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
eMacs gone! (almost)

Anyone noticed that the eMac is no longer available, at least to consumers. It's only available thru the education institutional (not education personal) or state & local government online stores.

Apple's eMac page is still up, but there aren't any links to it thru the other desktop Mac pages like before.

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
nagromme said:
Is the remote Bluetooth? Looks like it has an IR lens on the end. If so, it would be awkward when running to TV.
Good question. I think it's Bluetooth, because the tech specs don't say anything about IR, but the new iMac does have a built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module.