New imac on March 7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jaxx, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Jaxx macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a sense of what the chances are that there will be a new imac release announcement at the March 7 apple event when its rumored the ipad 3 will be announced? Do they tend to keep these devices separate?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Slim to none, honestly. I imagine it won't be until spring or into summer that we see updates.

3. Bear macrumors G3

iPad/iPod/iPhone announcements tend to be separate from Mac announcements.

Having said that, who knows, Apple is always changing things up.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not likely. iMac refreshes tend to be in the May-June time frame and they usually do not hold public events for them.

You can always check out the MacRumors Buyers Guide for approximate and past time lines for a refresh.

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Absolutely no chance at all....

iMacs are not going to see an upgrade until Ivy Bridge at the earliest (on track for summer release).

There is nothing Apple could add to the iMac for a refresh in the next 2 weeks.

Take a look at past refresh cycles, upcoming hardware availability, and it's pretty easy to see approximately when a certain product will receive a refresh.

6. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Patients is needed if not buy now. I was having problems with my iMac I just purchased & returned it for a refund.
    Don't think the refresh will be in march so not to clash with New iPad 3. I do expect it before May 3 as that will be 1 year to the date of last refresh.
    Apple usually up date in Months time frame, with the exception of last iPhone released.
    I would say late April. Don't quote me on that though. I will wait till Late April at least if no rumours of refresh are in the air then I'll be disappointed.

7. Jaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Given Apple's 14 day return policy one could order an imac today and *if* they released a new one on March 7 one could return it :)

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Ivy Bridge isn't slated to ship until end of April/early June. So barring any setbacks, April is the earliest you will see new iMacs.

yes, because march 7 is 14 days away :rolleyes:

9. I8P'CS, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Yes. The Sandy bridge iMacs are great If you feel you won't have buyers remorse in a few months. Go ahead & purchase. There might be a redesign, know one knows. USB 3 etc better graphics & 10%-20% CPU increase which is minimal. I was disappointed to return mine but had 3 iMacs in two weeks so couldn't take carrying if to Apple.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

i mean you guys can keep thinking it MIGHT come out on march 7, or you can read, look at the facts, and realize that there is absolutely NO WAY that we will see a refresh that soon :rolleyes:

11. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

12. Bear macrumors G3

Remember an average is just that... an average. And an April update to the iMacs would still be less than a year.

13. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Come on mate. I knew that. Lol.

14. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

when there is no new hardware what do you want them to upgrade? They can't just upgrade because it's been 276 days and OMG we are past our average refresh cycle....

Apple doesn't have anything to upgrade until Ivy Bridge is released, so thinking there will be any type of refresh before then is hopeless thinking.

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

There's enough history to suggest Apple will have early access to Ivy Bridge.. but that will certainly be measured in weeks, not months.

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yeah, they got Sandy Bridge a little earlier than other OEM's, but that's mostly because Apple chose to take the initial batch of SNB processors with the cougar point flaw. That's why the first batch of early '11 mbp's have SATA II for the ODD, and SATA III for the HDD, while the second batch of early '11 and the late '11 mbp's get SATA III for both.

Even if apple receives these processors slightly early, it's not going to be in the next 15 days....

What makes people think that Intel would want to loose a bunch of money by keeping their processors exclusive to Apple for the first two months it's released?

17. yashi macrumors member

I'm sure they will have early access to Ivy Bridge, but an iMac refresh with the new architecture will likely coincide with the launch at best, not come before it... I would think.

18. Jaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

My current MBP (I honestly don't know how old it is but its old) has a full HD, a dead battery, illegible keys, and is slower than.....well its really slow, so i really need a new computer and i don't think I'll have buyers remorse if they come out with a new imac this summer.

And the 14 day return policy kicks in when you receive the goods, not order them so i'm really safe on that even though it seems march 7 will have nothing to do with imacs :)

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

On that I will agree. As much as I wish it were not so.. my tax refund should buy the best iMac possible, but it's not going to buy a 2011 model. :)

My crystal ball says mid-April. But that is truly nothing more than speculation.

You're thinking about it backwards. Apple tends to pay extra for near-exclusive or advanced access to parts in their supply chain. Why would Intel be any different?

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

if you need a mac now, buy it. You aren't going to see any kind of refresh in the month of march at all, so if you can't wait past that, just buy your computer now. SNB machines are very capable.

Also, of note, it's more likely that the macbook pros will receive a refresh before the iMacs, though they could be upgraded at the same time, Apple likes to stagger their releases so they can always have great quarters.

21. Logos327 macrumors 6502

It amazes me how many people participate in this forum without reading the front page. Just a few days ago an article came out saying the IB processors that iMacs would use are on track for an April release.

Sure it is rumor, but the original report that they were delayed into summer came from Digitimes, i.e. the people who throw a thousand rumors against the wall until one sticks out of luck.

Also, iMacs don't traditionally come out in the May-June time because they traditionally come out every nine months (meaning their release cycles through the year).

I think that early April is a good bet. Putting two product launches in the same month is not sometime Apple traditionally does, and considering Apple usually gets Intel processors early, that fits well with the "original" (though delayed from the real original release of Januaryish) release date of sometime in April.

Personally, I think anyone who has bought an iMac in the last month - two months that didn't NEED it made a bad decision, and some are hoping their purchase is more justified by a later iMac release.

22. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

That was my thinking, hence why I also said late April. Could even be early/mid Aprl if Spple want to show they get things before their competitors again. Hope it's not too long now. Just need the iPad to be released, then the count down begins.

23. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

You guys don't understand... Apple didn't get Sandy Bridge before anybody else.

The only reason it APPEARS that they did, is because Apple chose to use the chipsets with the cougar point flaw rather than sending them back to Intel and waiting for the revised processors to come back to them.

Saying Apple pays more for Intel exclusivity is bogus. What does apple get from intel before anyone else?

They might get chipsets and such for testing and R&D, but to think Intel is going to let apple get a bunch of their processors a month or two before anyone else and release them... you are smoking crack.

Why would intel lose out on money they could make by not letting companies like Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, get the new processors too? When they are ready, they are sent out to OEM's, they don't give them to Apple for an extra 2 months.

Apple might have some weight where they are going to get say 40% of the initial release of IVB, but to think they will be the only OEM with them is absurd.

24. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

I agree. I need a mac but I'm willing to wait. Spot on with everything you said. Didn't make sense me buying current iMac this late into its circle so I took it back due to faults & will wait for 2012 model.

25. yashi macrumors member

Good lord, buy now. Ivy Bridge isn't going to do laundry or cook meals. Having a computer that works well for you is way more important than having the latest and fastest.