Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Glad to see a delayed shipping notification coming from someone other than a newbie...

Although there's a possibility it's just for iLife 09 and the rep was hyping it a bit too much :p

mac207

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
iMac supply

This certainly falls in the realm of speculation, but I ordered a number of baseline 20" iMacs for work, with no custom configuration, and I've had my order delayed for a week, followed by this message today:

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s)
by the date that you were originally quoted:

MB324LL/A, IMAC 20/2.66/2GB/320GB/SD-USA
will now ship on or before
Feb 05, 2009

Please note that product availability can change rapidly, and it is
possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate. You
may even receive a shipment confirmation between the time we send this
email and the time that you read it.

That seemed odd, as it is the stock model, advertised to ship in 24 hours. I called Apple to inquire about the delay, and my regional rep (east coast) said that, "the delay would be well worth it in the long run, if you catch my meaning."

Apple innuendo is so delightful! I smell an updated iMac soon!

Grimace- I work for one of the largest corporate resellers in the country (for both Mac and PC) and can tell you that there is no shortage of inventory of the MB324LL/A imacs in our warehouse or with our distribution partners locations at this time. If there is a shortage with your vendor I can assure you it has nothing to do with any possible impending release of a new iMac (though that is only a matter of time).

For the record, I also checked inventory with my primary competitors and they (all reputable, nationally known companies) also show stock on hand.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Grimace- I work for one of the largest corporate resellers in the country (for both Mac and PC) and can tell you that there is no shortage of inventory of the MB324LL/A imacs in our warehouse or with our distribution partners locations at this time. If there is a shortage with your vendor I can assure you it has nothing to do with any possible impending release of a new iMac (though that is only a matter of time).

For the record, I also checked inventory with my primary competitors and they (all reputable, nationally known companies) also show stock on hand.

You work for a reseller not Apple.... that doesn't mean Apple isn't coming out with new iMacs, it just means there are arent any shortages in your warehouses.

mcnaugha

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
This is why backorders get cancelled

Clearly you know a bit more about this than I would, couple of questions.

Are updates always the exact same price point as previous models. If not I do not see how Mac could ship the upgraded model unless it is at the previous price because mac is flat out not authorized to charge a credit card beyond the original purchase price.

This is why backorders with Apple are cancelled when there is a price change. The channel would have to advise customer of price increase and get authorisation to proceed. Significant price changes are quite rare though. The price you pay is more about the range position; good, better, or best kind of thing. If you ordered a better, then you should still end up with a better.

I don't think there is stock constraint. Grimmace is getting his machine and apple stores have current models in stock.

You are entitled to think what you like, but it's not really for you to think that as you have said you don't work for Apple, Apple Retail or an Apple Authorised/Premium Reseller. You can see some evidence on the Apple Online stores. The 3.06GHz model is not available within 24hrs. It's been sitting at that status, unchanging, for days.

Could you clarify what this means, because it sounds like you have access to stocking information, that the general public does not.

In your colorful language, you could say I have access to information not available to the general public.

The guy going on about his warehouse and competitors having loads of iMacs in stock better get a special sale on over the weekend and Monday to shift those. They're about to drop in value big-time. Channel price-protection might not be on offer; as it rarely is these days.

Bare in mind folks... these things can be cancelled on the Monday. Sometimes I think Steve does it when the rumormill causes a drop in sales... just to show us who's boss. Just how involved he is at the moment, and how much of his influence affect those left in charge remains to be seen.

mac207

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
You work for a reseller not Apple.... that doesn't mean Apple isn't coming out with new iMacs, it just means there are arent any shortages in your warehouses.

True, we are an authorized Apple partner and reseller and have been for well over 20 years. But that has nothing do do with the point I was making.

There is currently A LOT of stock on hand and even more on order. That doesn't mean Apple won't cancel those orders if a new model is announced. More to my point of the original poster- Someone told Grimace a big fat lie. There is absolutely no reason an order of almost any size for the standard imac models could not be fulfilled immediately. If not through their specific reseller than any number of other reputable Apple certified partners.

Yes, we are an Apple reseller- but if we have stock in our own warehouses and the distribution channel has plenty of inventory available there is no reason why Grimace's order could not be delivered. That is my point!

Again, the reason Grimace's reseller can't get the product has NOTHING to do with an impending imac announcement. Personally speaking, I'm hoping for an announcement since I'm looking to buy a new imac.

gamer2502

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
near Pittsburgh,pa
i damn sure hope there are imac updates because i refuse to buy a new apple computer unless they have been updated within the last month and don't get me wrong my quad core gaming pc screams but i really want a imac or mac pro and just use my pc for games for a few reasons that are my pc may be fast but vista and even windows 7 suck for most tasks that could be done better on a mac:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.