Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Images Leak of iPhone 12 Braided USB-C to Lightning Cable

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors suggest Apple's upcoming iPhone 12 models will ship with a new Lightning to USB-C cable that includes a braided fabric design. Images of the purported cables were leaked in July, and today leaker Mr White has shared new images that give us a closer look at what we might get included in the iPhone 12 box.

The photos show a USB-C to Lightning cable with a clearly braided design rather than the standard non-fabric design of the current cables. Braided cable designs have the potential to be more durable than the standard rubber-coated cables, which have a tendency to fray from the edges after a few months of use.

Previously leaked USB-C to Lightning cables have featured eight silver contacts with rhodium-plated ruthenium, which is more resistant to corrosion, and that also appears to be the case in these photos. Combined with the braided design, the cables are likely to be able to better withstand damage after prolonged use.

A more durable design will be a welcome change for ‌iPhone‌ users as there have been many complaints over the years about the weak design of Apple's cables. Apple's existing USB-C to Lightning cables can also be used to enable fast charging in compatible iPhones, providing a 50 percent charge within 30 minutes.

Apple has never offered a cable with a braided design for its iPhones or iPads, but it does offer a braided Thunderbolt Pro cable, a black braided USB-C to Lightning cable that ships with the Mac Pro, and a braided power cable for the HomePod.

Apple's new braided USB-C to Lightning cable may be the only accessory that ships with the iPhone 12. Multiple rumors have suggested this year's new models will not come with a power adapter or EarPods in the box, allowing Apple to save money and cut down on packaging.

Instead, Apple may sell a new 20W power adapter on a standalone basis, which would allow customers to purchase a power adapter separately from Apple or from a third-party manufacturer, and would also bring Apple in line with EU proposals for a common charging standard.

Article Link: New Images Leak of iPhone 12 Braided USB-C to Lightning Cable

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I think the iPhone will stay Lighting until they manage to remove the port. If they wanted to switch to USB-C, why not put it on the iPhonePro the same year the iPad got it? The more time passes, the less sense it makes to switch.
I'd be happy with a USB-C iPhone don't get me wrong, but not going to happen...

calstanford

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Absolute f idiocy which makes me want to NOT buy an iPhone again.

Apple put a god damn USB-C in it. Why this joke of a cable that I now have to carry around with me all the time so I can charge my phone, when my iPads and Macbooks all have USB-C DIRECT charging without stupid dongles. Such a waste.

prokanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
These look nice and all, and I'm sure they feel better when handling them... but I've never understood people complaining about the regular Apple cables. I've NEVER had one fray on me. They get discolored after a few years, but they don't fray, as long as you're not a complete moron when unplugging them. Careless people grab the cable and pull. Smart people (and there don't seem to be many of them) grab the connector and pull. Less stress on the connecting point, and no fraying.

prokanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Wow, now the phones that Apple sells can connect to the computers that Apple sells! “Can’t innovate anymore, my a**.”
You do know that even the current generation has a USB-C to Lightning cable in the box, right? And that they've offered cables with those connections for some time now? The only thing new about this cable is the braided sheath. 🙄

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
That's just late to the party. This is something Apple should have been delivering since 2016 when they dumped the all-USBc MacBook pro’s onto the world. You know what would be exciting for 2020? A USBc to USBc cable. Including a 18W wall plug.

"oh but they care about sustainability" –sure, that's why they made those horribly mis-sized DOA single loop watchbands that are gonna generate heaps of garbage, from paper rulers to the bands themselves, because they care about sustainability.

Apple's brand delivery has gone from "it just works" to "we nickel and dime to sell solutions for problems we created, and we think you're going to love it"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.