Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Images Leak of iPhone 12 Braided USB-C to Lightning Cable

graywolf323

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
ugh please no, just switch to USB-C already Apple

it's ridiculous that the iPhone would still have Lightning when even the iPad Air has switched to USB-C

I vowed in 2019 to never buy an iPhone unless it comes with USB-C.
I'm holding out. Apple is losing my business so far.

similar here, I'm still rocking my iPhone 7 Plus for that very reason

NBAasDOGG

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
What really is the point of your post? Is it somehow improper for Apple to improve an accessory? Do we really have to subject any such improvement to an "innovation" test? Aren't minor improvements in the things we use worthwhile even if they don't represent "innovation"? Apple has never claimed that everything it does is innovative, and no one holds other companies to this ridiculous standard.

Whee Whee, OMG 😱

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Having to travel with a different charging cable for each device is such a mess. One for the iPad Pro. One for the iPhone. One for the watch.

I’m guessing the AWS6 doesn’t even come with a USB-C cable?

I would still travel with 3 cables even if the iPhone used usb c, since I will likely be charging both at night.

And the Apple Watch comes with a charging cable, just no charging brick.

Reactions: CarlJ

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So they are going to ship the new iPhone without a power adaptor to save the environment because most people have power adaptors already but they changed the fcuking cable to USB-C so most people will need to buy a separate USB-C power adaptor! Seems more like a money making scam than trying to save the planet. And of course the iPhone price won't be any cheaper than previous years!
Or alternatively one can use their existing cables and power brick...just put the cable aside. Those who actually don’t have any usb-a ports or cables, who are new to the usb world will have to purchase whatever they need.

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Fingers crossed that the iPhone 13 (2021) comes with USB-C. I’m not ready to give up having a physical connector, but I am ready for the majority of my devices to use the same cord.

braided cables are nice from a durability standpoint. I’m just a little sad it’s sticking with Lightning.

had Apple made Lightning an open source connector without its ridiculous licensing, it might have been a better choice. Proprietary cords just cause problems on the most commonly used devices. Lightning has had a nice run. Time to end it.
It’s time stop calling a connector, that is on hundreds of millions of iPhones over the last eight years ”proprietary“... and has been licensed to third parties.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
It’s time stop calling a connector, that is on hundreds of millions of iPhones over the last eight years ”proprietary“... and has been licensed to third parties.

The only devices that use Lightning are Apple products. Just because there are “hundreds of millions” of those devices out there, doesn’t mean it’s not proprietary. Neither does the fact that Apple licenses it for 3rd party cords. It’s the ownership of the technology that makes it proprietary.

Attachments

• 78FC9B31-EC77-4424-965E-C32CEB5DD92D.jpeg
    78FC9B31-EC77-4424-965E-C32CEB5DD92D.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 13

orthorim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Funny I was just thinking why Apple has crappy plasticky cables when every chinese OEM manufacturer now offers really nice braided cables.

Just got a very nice braided USB-C USB-C cable for my macbook Pro after I managed to break my Apple original one by dropping my MBP and sort of catching on my foot, but the cables sticking out on the side - both original Apple - got bent and broken, one iPhone USB-C -> Lightning, and the power cable. Both ended up with bent USBC plugs, and both stopped working.

So this also tells me - that's why iPhones won't have a USB-C port - Lightning is likely much stronger and withstands more abuse, which is absolutely necessary when you sell 100M devices to all sorts of people in all sorts of countries and life situations, doing all sorts of things. Any 0.0x% fraction difference in reliability would add up really fast.

Reactions: MartyvH

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The only devices that use Lightning are Apple products. Just because there are “hundreds of millions” of those devices out there, doesn’t mean it’s not proprietary. Neither does the fact that Apple licenses it for 3rd party cords. It’s the ownership of the technology that makes it proprietary.
The attached is why it’s time to stop calling lightning proprietary. Not because of the definition in the dictionary, but this screen shot. Represents dozens of choices... and usb-c is more expensive for an open standard.

Attachments

• CB1306A4-CD43-4FA3-A681-F354E61908D8.png
    CB1306A4-CD43-4FA3-A681-F354E61908D8.png
    873.2 KB · Views: 21

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
The parent in me sees two points: a) the braided cord could last longer than the original smooth cable, and 2) the braided cord could hold onto dirt and grim and be harder to wipe clean than the original smooth cable. Bonus 3rd: Jobs saw customer value in cord continuity. Cook sees stockholder value in cord multiplicity.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Funny I was just thinking why Apple has crappy plasticky cables when every chinese OEM manufacturer now offers really nice braided cables.
Funny, when I need cables, I tend to buy Anker’s less prevalent plastic sheathed cables rather than the more prevalent braided ones, because my experience is that the braided ones get dirty faster and are harder to clean. Just because something is trendy doesn’t mean it’s superior. Chinese OEM manufacturers tend to run towards what sells the best right now.

Many of the “braided” ones used to be simply a braided tube fitted over a thinner plastic-sheathed cable anyway. Is that still the case?

MartyvH

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
What really is the point of your post? Is it somehow improper for Apple to improve an accessory? Do we really have to subject any such improvement to an "innovation" test? Aren't minor improvements in the things we use worthwhile even if they don't represent "innovation"? Apple has never claimed that everything it does is innovative, and no one holds other companies to this ridiculous standard.

It's waiting so many years before making the cable braided on a premium and now ultra-premium phone. When it's a minor feature that now seems like a major innovation at a time when other innovations are thin on the ground.

Yes, it is worthwhile, but tone-deaf at a time when people really want other more important things (see thread) but it's looking like they will be screwed over.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's waiting so many years before making the cable braided on a premium and now ultra-premium phone. When it's a minor feature that now seems like a major innovation at a time when other innovations are thin on the ground.
It’s not a major innovation. It’s a minor improvement...it’s a change. And based on rumors other innovations seem anything but thin.
Yes, it is worthwhile, but tone-deaf at a time when people really want other more important things (see thread) but it's looking like they will be screwed over.
People can want what they want. Apple is under no obligation to incorporate a feature they don’t seem viable. And there’s always vote with your $$$ to show Apple you mean business.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlJ and MartyvH

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I call BS on this.

The iPhone 12 cable will be USB-C on both ends because the iPhone 12 will be USB-C itself. Lightning is depreciated at the moment and soon enough it will be as dead as the 30 pin cable.

The cable itself mey well indeed exist but it's use case will be very different.
This article is just MacRumors taking the leak/rumour and putting their own spin on it.

toke lahti

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Yes cause we all know you get to be a 2T dollar company by creating design failures.
Design failures can be economical success.
Apple makes pretty greasy profits from simple cables.
People buy them because the brand is connected to high quality.
And the cables usually work very fine, untin they don't.

For the price, I think some of Apple's cables have pretty short life.
I've had many cheap cables that are fleaky, but many of them last physically much longer than apple's cables ifthe techincal connection keeps working.

I don't know why this is. Maybe it's Apple's best interest that there are vivid 3rd party market. Or Apple's cables are targeted for people who wish to spend money for new cables every now and then.
Macbook's power supply's thinner cable is another one that people doesn't seem to handle carefully enough. And Apple doesn't mindchange it any stronger...
(My bias: no experience on new detachable usb-c...)

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Design failures can be economical success.
Apple makes pretty greasy profits from simple cables.
People buy them because the brand is connected to high quality.
And the cables usually work very fine, untin they don't.
I don't begrude Apple making "pretty greasy profits" from anything. But there is the MFi program, where one, if they feel like it, don't have to contribute to Apple's bottom line.
For the price, I think some of Apple's cables have pretty short life.
I've had many cheap cables that are fleaky, but many of them last physically much longer than apple's cables ifthe techincal connection keeps working.
I personally find Apple cables to last 5,6,7 years or more. But that is my anecdotal experience with them.
I don't know why this is. Maybe it's Apple's best interest that there are vivid 3rd party market. Or Apple's cables are targeted for people who wish to spend money for new cables every now and then.
Macbook's power supply's thinner cable is another one that people doesn't seem to handle carefully enough. And Apple doesn't mindchange it any stronger...
(My bias: no experience on new detachable usb-c...)
[automerge]1601232635[/automerge]
I call BS on this.

The iPhone 12 cable will be USB-C on both ends because the iPhone 12 will be USB-C itself. Lightning is depreciated at the moment and soon enough it will be as dead as the 30 pin cable.

The cable itself mey well indeed exist but it's use case will be very different.
This article is just MacRumors taking the leak/rumour and putting their own spin on it.
We'll see shortly about iphone 12 being usc-c on both ends.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I hope they make a stand alone one of 6ft. I don't use third party due to an almost fire. The long one I've got now is bent a lot from where I use it on an iPad while watching shows.

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Okay, so here's what I don't understand about Apple not providing a power brick this year:

The rationale is that most people already have them so it would just create more waste... Okay, that makes sense. But the cable they're packing this year is lighting to USB-C... Don't the vast majority of iPhone and iPad owners probably have USB-A charging bricks that came with previous devices? Only people with iPad Pros and certain model Macbooks will have a USB-C charger.

I'm hoping that the iPad Air 4 will be available before the iPhone 12, and I intend to get both, but if the Air doesn't come first, I don't own a single USB-C charging brick.
To tack on, even people who have Macbook USB C chargers, they're only 1 port. No one is going to decide which device to charge, they're going to buy another brick.
Also, most people charge their iPhone by their bed and personally, I charge my Mac by the couch. Again, need another brick.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
To tack on, even people who have Macbook USB C chargers, they're only 1 port. No one is going to decide which device to charge, they're going to buy another brick.

No need for two bricks. You just daisy-chain them. When I travel I just take my big MacBook charger brick. If I need to charge both MacBook and iPhone at the same time, I plug the MacBook in to the the charger brick and the iPhone to the MacBook.

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
No need for two bricks. You just daisy-chain them. When I travel I just take my big MacBook charger brick. If I need to charge both MacBook and iPhone at the same time, I plug the MacBook in to the the charger brick and the iPhone to the MacBook.
But that same argument means most people charge their iPhones currently from their Mac with the USB A cable.
Even at home and at an office with all macs, my friends and coworkers always plug their phone into a brick in the wall. If nothing else, to prevent a security dialog box from popping up every time you plug in.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
But that same argument means most people charge their iPhones currently from their Mac with the USB A cable.
Even at home and at an office with all macs, my friends and coworkers always plug their phone into a brick in the wall. If nothing else, to prevent a security dialog box from popping up every time you plug in.

First of all, I don't get any security dialog when I plug in to the Mac? Secondly, if you use a USB-C to lightning cable to charge your iPhone as I do, it works equally well plugging in to the MacBook or directly into the MacBook wall charger. It also charges very fast!

As for USB A, I've hardly used that in years. I don't even have a USB A lightning cable anymore since my last one wore out.

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
First of all, I don't get any security dialog when I plug in to the Mac? Secondly, if you use a USB-C to lightning cable to charge your iPhone as I do, it works equally well plugging in to the MacBook or directly into the MacBook wall charger. It also charges very fast!

As for USB A, I've hardly used that in years. I don't even have a USB A lightning cable anymore since my last one wore out.
It's because you accepted the popup the first time.

I'm also speaking for the regular person, non-tech geek, using my particular (pre-covid) San Francisco office as the example. All 30ish people on my floor have 27" iMacs sitting on their desks and none, not a 1, charges their iPhone by plugging it into their mac. If they have a phone charger at work at all, they plug it into the wall using a power brick. I've asked them, some say it's because they're afraid of data being leached off their phone, some just prefer to not have desk clutter.
At home there's 3 of us. One modern MBP with USB C and Nintendo Switch being the only USB C devices. When we travel I have a 3 port USB wall adapter with 3 lightning cables. Plugs into the hotel lamp plug and charges our 3 phones. I believe Anker did just release a 3 port USB C wall adapter but still goes against this rumor of saving the earth by not including a power adapter because for "most people" the USB C cable will become trash since we have nothing to plug it into.

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Wife laughing over shoulder as I get excited about a braided cable.
I love braided because they are invincible. Have had some for years. Although I do think the C>L ones are much better than the old A>L; although maybe that's a coincidence since wireless wasn't around with the older phones so I used the A cable more and put more wear on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.