Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaker known as "DuanRui" has shared more images that could give us our best look yet at Apple's redesigned notch for the iPhone 13. The new pictures follow similar images shared by the leaker last week, but the latest shots include a comparison with the existing iPhone 12 notch.

duan-rui-iphone-12-13-notch.jpg

DuanRui posted three images on Twitter that apparently originate from Weibo, although source details remain unclear. All include what appear to be "film samples" or screen protectors similar to those shown in the previous images, except here you can see a clear reduction in notch width compared to the iPhone 12.

The reduced width is enabled by the earpiece being integrated into the top bezel, above the TrueDepth camera and Face ID components, indicated by the space left in the middle. According to a report from Japanese site Mac Otakara, the ‌iPhone 13‌'s TrueDepth camera array is "getting narrower" because the receiver at the top of the display will move to the edge of the case.

DigiTimes claimed in February that the ‌iPhone 13‌ will feature a redesigned Face ID system that will allow for a smaller notch at the top of the screen. Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also said that the ‌iPhone 13‌ will have a smaller notch, although he did not mention the earpiece being repositioned.

A previously leaked 3D-printed mockup suggests that compared to the iPhone 12 Pro, the iPhone 13 Pro will feature a notch that is 5.35mm in height, as opposed to 5.30mm, and 26.80mm in width, down from 34.83mm.

duan-rui-iphone-12-13-notch-3.jpg

The iPhone notch has gone unchanged since it debuted on the iPhone X in 2017, and Apple could take advantage of the redesign to include more on-screen details on either side of the notch, where cellular information and battery icon currently reside.

Other ‌‌iPhone 13‌‌ rumors have suggested that the device will feature 120Hz "ProMotion" displays, a faster A15 chip, larger batteries, and more. Apple's new flagship smartphones are expected to drop in the fall. See our dedicated iPhone 13 roundup for all the details.

Article Link: New Images Show Smaller iPhone 13 Notch Compared to iPhone 12

Last edited:

bmot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
The notch is an ugly abomination that people will look back to and laugh about once it is gone entirely.
I am surprised Apple is having such a hard time getting rid of it when other manufacturers where already able to for a while.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Does it even matter to those people that hate the notch? It’s still a notch and doesn’t give you much more space for the status bar either. I personally never cared for it. My mind blocked it out 20 minutes after I got my first FaceID iPhone. I even watch full screen tv shows on it, covering a minor part of the screen and I don’t care

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
I never use my iPhone in landscape mode so the notch doesn’t bother me at all . I actually quite like it .
Agreed. It really is sort of nice because it splits the top status bar in two nice information corners that give you just enough information and looks very symmetric. If more information is needed, just pull down control center.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Yeah, you don't mind the notch until it's gone. Then you're going to praise Apple getting rid of that abomination.
Sure, as long as the design is even better with the same functionality. Then it would be stupid to claim that the notch was better. All I am saying is that I do think it looks good enough and especially as it enables Face ID over Touch ID. Everytime I use Touch ID I realize how unintuitive it is compared to Face ID.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
The notch is an ugly abomination that people will look back to and laugh about once it is gone entirely.
I am surprised Apple is having such a hard time getting rid of it when other manufacturers where already able to for a while.
I think everyone understands that it's a compromise. The ideal is clearly no notch, but in order to keep all the functionality, we're stuck with the notch for now.

Personally, I honestly forget it's even there until I read something like this.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
The notch is never here to stay. It always is a compromise. People are lying if they tell you they don't mind it. Everything else being equal, given the choice of an iPhone with the notch and one without, not many people in their right mind would choose the former.

I for one will wait till 2023 when the notchless phone comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.