New Incase Slider at Apple Store (3GS)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by catalyst6, Jul 12, 2009.

1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I was in the Apple store last night and saw an incase slider in a new type of packaging specifically stating it was for the 3GS. It was sitting next to the sliders in the "normal" packaging. I believe it also came with a stand or some sort of accessory? It was the same price as the other sliders.

Have they changed anything in this product or redesigned it such that it no longer scratches the phone?

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah, they changed the packaging. That's what my local Apple store told me.

3. catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

oh ok, too bad they didn't tweak the design just a bit to correct all these scratching problems people are having :(

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Changing the packaging just to **** with people. Awesome.

5. AGIPSY macrumors regular

Just saw this today-- looked like the new packaging also included a little video stand as well.

6. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

The sliders in the NEW boxes are the NEW design.

They made the sliders slightly bigger to stay away from the "soooo tight" feel to them.

Hopefully all the new sliders are making there way to Apple Stores.

Plus other companies like Agent18 should have new 3G S cases in Apple stores any day now

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Awesome, a video stand. But still no screen protector.

I bet it still scratches the iPhone.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

10. lacker macrumors member

lacker

yeah , hope they reach the stores soon. Unfortunately the only place for me to get a slider s the apple.com . Hope they update this into it soon , time to replace the slider :D

11. feedmeister macrumors member

I currently have the incase slider that I bought with my 3GS 2 weeks ago. However, I do feel it's a bit tight because it keeps messing up my screen protector. Do you guys think I can exchange my current incase slider for the 3GS designated one? The genius when I bought mine said it'd fit just the same. Will I see the change from switching?

Thanks

12. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So basically your going to replace a slider with a slider, because they are the same case. No difference, at all.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

It's the same case.

The slider makes most screen shields bubble up, with the exception of Power Supports because they are cut a tad smaller. The 3GS case will do the same exact thing. The incase slider has been doing that since it was created.

The Incase Slider is the same version, size etc etc as the original 3G slider, the 3GS slider is NO DIFFERENT.

14. feedmeister macrumors member

Thanks for the reply Ferris23.

Why on earth would Apple sell BOTH the 3G and 3GS Incase Slider at my local Apple Store?

Doesn't make sense.

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Because Incase think people are stupid and don't realize that any 3G case will fit a 3GS because they are the same dimensions. It's marketing. You bought a shiney new 3GS and you are Joe Moron, which case are you going to buy, one that says 3G or one that looks fancier and says 3GS on it?

People talking about a re-design really have no idea what they are talking about. Some Sliders are bigger, some are smaller, it's because they are cheap **** plastic. It's not like EVERY plastic case is going to fit exactly the same, it's just the nature of quality control I guess.

The only redesign the Slider got was early on when the 3G was first released and Incase made a lot of them too small. They made the mold slightly larger, but even now some are still too tight because again you are dealing with plastic, they just have so so quality control.

16. feedmeister macrumors member

That's what I thought too, and then map1978 said the design changed.

Thanks for the clarification.

17. MemoryMapped macrumors newbie

Aren't SGP screen protectors also cut a tad smaller? Here is a video of someone applying the SGP Anti-Fingerprint while the iphone is in an Incase Slider. It's actually a really good idea to prevent the slider from pulling up the screen protector.

Anyone have a similar video showing the PS installed while the case is on?

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

They may be, I have never used them. Just from my own experience PS cuts films a tad smaller so the Slider I had never had a problem catching the screen shield and causing bubbles.

I have also heard that applying the shield on after the Slider is on can help align it so the bubbles don't occur.

19. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I talked to the product manager and I was told that they changed the size of the slider. They made them slightly bigger to stop that stuck problem. So technically they were re-designed recently. This is the 2nd time they did this. Like ferris said, they did the same last summer.

I've been more than happy with the few sliders I have. In fact the guy from incase was so cool, he sending me out free sliders.

20. feedmeister macrumors member

Glad to know you're getting free sliders. Mind sharing how you're getting them? :p

I was near the Apple store today, but I went with what Ferris said, so I guess I'll just have to go to Apple sometime soon.. only if I can find the time!

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Interesting, I take back what I said, sorry about that. I don't understand this though, the Black Matte slider I had on my 3G was loose from the day I got it, and I got that case in the winter, I sold a Slider before that. So if that was loose on my phone months ago I can't imagine they made it much larger. I still question how much re-design goes into these to be honest. I mean they all fit differently, they really do. Not to mention the phone is not larger, they have had a standard production of cases that worked for a year with 3G, why is there a need to change anything again?

The phone did not change shape, at all, not even a little. This is what you have to remember. It makes no sense why they made the case bigger if it has been fine for year prior. I still don't buy it. Not that it matters, I'm done with Sliders, sticking to cases I can use with a best skins ever on back. They are nice though.

I could be wrong, but we also heard they had a new revision of the matte that didn't peel, yet people still have problem with the case peeling. (mine did not). I tend to believe that "revision" is code word for so so quality control, kind of an excuse. Because chances are the one they send you will fit different, but it doesn't make sense why they changed anything.

Like I said, my Slider was loose to pull off, almost too easy, which was fine with me actually. But this was out of the box, months ago. So why make a mold of that case even larger for a phone that hasn't changed in dimensions?

Some are tight, some are loose, luck of the draw. I think it's just the way they are made.

Incase also said Apple made some Iphones that were larger in dimension and that's why some got stuck. I mean c'mon that was never documented anywhere.

22. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Ferris, no need to apologize man, it's all good. Here is a pic of the new packaging that incase offers with an included S stand!

http://emob57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/map1978/3ee91702.jpg

I bought the metallic orange incase slider and it is 10x better than the old sliders. The finish feels better than the previous matte sliders. It also slides on super easy and super easy to take apart. No flash no scratches. I am loving this new slider. This is the only color my apple store had but I'm sure there are more to come. Good thing orange is my fav color haha

sorry I can't add the pic to see (on vacation and posting this from my 3gs)

the link should work though

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One user has pointed out that the Slider is no longer available from Apple Online.

24. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Just checked and your right. Probably getting ready to post the new ones like the one I just purchased tonight.

25. fullfrontal macrumors newbie

Hey Map, do you know if it would be more plausible for a back skin installation with one of these new sliders since they are suppose to be bigger?