Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple will almost certainly be selling Intel Macs for at least several more years. Making Big Sur the last major update for Intel Macs would likely cost them much more money than it would make them.
Big Sur won't be the last major update, but Intel Macs were introduced during 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard was the last major release PowerPC ever received. I think it's safe to assume one to two more major releases 11.1 and possibly 11.2 before all Intel machines are dropped from the new versions. If Apple continues it's annual OS updates that's probably 2-3 more years. As far as supporting Intel for "years" they will likely continue to do security patches and very minor updates for awhile longer maybe 5 years or so.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Big Sur won't be the last major update, but Intel Macs were introduced during 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard was the last major release PowerPC ever received. I think it's safe to assume one to two more major releases 11.1 and possibly 11.2 before all Intel machines are dropped from the new versions. If Apple continues it's annual OS updates that's probably 2-3 more years. As far as supporting Intel for "years" they will likely continue to do security patches and very minor updates for awhile longer maybe 5 years or so.

I personally think we will see a longer period of support than that, but I guess it's anyone's guess. Maybe they will only do one or two more major releases. For all we know, Apple might drop M1 support for new versions of macOS quickly as well. I don't think they will but you never know.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Apple will almost certainly be selling Intel Macs for at least several more years. Making Big Sur the last major update for Intel Macs would likely cost them much more money than it would make them.

This is just it. Would them dropping support for my brand new 13'' 2020 Pro make me angry? Hell yeah. Would it make me consider Windows? Hell no.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
This is just it. Would them dropping support for my brand new 13'' 2020 Pro make me angry? Hell yeah. Would it make me consider Windows? Hell no.

But I think it would drive quite a few other people to Windows, and, even if that number is relatively small, it's customers they don't have to lose and it's a tarnish to their brand image that could turn promotors into detractors. It might also mean they could not sell Intel units as refurbs for very long and, presumably, they might have to write off units they could otherwise sell.

Let's say they continue to sell the 13-inch Intel MacBook Pro for another 6 months AND they are able to update every other Mac with Apple Silicon in that timeframe (which seems unlikely). That takes us halfway through 2021, and if they continue to sell that system as a refurb for another year after discontinuing it, that takes us through the middle of 2022. They aren't going to sell a system and drop new OS support a month later...if that unit gets only a year and a half of new OS updates, that takes us into 2024, and even that seems like a pretty short period from a company that has, as of late, been providing pretty long periods of OS support on their devices.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
But I think it would drive quite a few other people to Windows, and, even if that number is relatively small, it's customers they don't have to lose and it's a tarnish to their brand image that could turn promotors into detractors. It might also mean they could not sell Intel units as refurbs for very long and, presumably, they might have to write off units they could otherwise sell.

Let's say they continue to sell the 13-inch Intel MacBook Pro for another 6 months AND they are able to update every other Mac with Apple Silicon in that timeframe (which seems unlikely). That takes us halfway through 2021, and if they continue to sell that system as a refurb for another year after discontinuing it, that takes us through the middle of 2022. They aren't going to sell a system and drop new OS support a month later...if that unit gets only a year and a half of new OS updates, that takes us into 2024, and even that seems like a pretty short period from a company that has, as of late, been providing pretty long periods of OS support on their devices.

It makes sense, in theory.

/looks at Apple still selling refurbished laptops with butterfly keyboards.

Apple still "cares" about their brand, but the brand is now different than it was before.

Also iOS is diferent, you have a much faster turnover of devices, people buy new phones much faster than they do laptops. I believe Apple sees an opportunity to change that for a moment and cash in.

I might be wrong, but I believe it will be just the opposite than PowerPC -> Intel transition. It's gonna be faster, not slower.

Danny1982

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2020
Italy
I spoke with a Apple Care support in order to receive reassurance about this question. They said that the support will be the same as tomorrow for the entire Intel lineup.

ikkysleepy

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
Any updates on new Intel Machines being released? My 2020 MBP is great but I need more CPUs and RAM. I normally wouldn't update so quick, but I max out my 32 GB of RAM and 4 Threads doing Virtualization. If this is the last Intel Machine being release then I would rather take one with max specs than an M1 because I know it will just work and I wouldn't have to deal with M1 issues until 4-5 years from now.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Any updates on new Intel Machines being released? My 2020 MBP is great but I need more CPUs and RAM. I normally wouldn't update so quick, but I max out my 32 GB of RAM and 4 Threads doing Virtualization. If this is the last Intel Machine being release then I would rather take one with max specs than an M1 because I know it will just work and I wouldn't have to deal with M1 issues until 4-5 years from now.
It is *extremely* unlikely that there will ever be another Intel update to the MBPs. There are rumors that the next Mac Pro may have Intel and Apple Silicon versions, but I’m taking that with a huge grain of salt, especially now after Intel’s.... antics.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Cesar Battistini

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Brazil
hence why I said dying - and only just for Apple.

This new intel 16" MBP I am typing this on is actually quite impressive in speed. Really the only thing it needs is less heat from efficiencies to reduce the fans and have a better battery. Otherwise it is great and no speed complaints.
No speed complaints, until you use an M1. It's a whole other animal!

Reactions: Danny1982

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
No speed complaints, until you use an M1. It's a whole other animal!
My 16” MBP smashes the M1 GPU.

I tested my apps out on a M1 Mac mini and 13” MBP M1, and both lost.

Please stop spreading lies about how amazing this M1 is. It is fantastic for day to day use in normal tasks, but in no way does it replace my current set up.

M1x / M2 we may be talking, but the current M1 is the perfect low end chip and does not replace the 5600m I9 combo.

Reactions: GumaRodak

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
One of the reasons I bought a 2020 Air was I wanted a last Intel Mac, plus its still a really nice Air. I would have loved to buy a 1.67 G4 at the end of the PPC era. I don't see any more Intel Macs coming after that iMac launch.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Tim Cook (june 2020): "In fact, we have some new Intel based Macs in the pipeline that we’re really excited about. "

After seeing the new M1, does anybody believe this to be true still?
I wonder what was Tim Cook talking about. The only Intel Mac released after June 2020 was the 27-inch iMac with 10th gen processors in August 2020. Was Tim Cook talking about that iMac or is it possible that, over one year later, there are other Intel Macs in the pipeline?

Plus, it does not surprise me at all that Tim Cook is reportedly "excited" about something. It seems to be his favorite adjective, as he is "excited" about pretty much everything. Just a few examples of things he said or wrote:

"We are incredibly excited about the upcoming releases of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, as well as other new products and services that we can’t wait to introduce."​
"Without giving away too much, I can tell you that this year has a few more exciting things in store."​
"I’m excited about AR. My view is it’s the next big thing, and it will pervade our entire lives.”​
"Hello developers! I am really excited for an incredible WWDC. See you all online very soon."​
"We're in the early days of a two-year transition, but we're excited about what we see so far."​
"As the world’s most innovative company, I believe we have a special obligation to get this right. I am very excited about the opportunity that we have to come together in new ways and chart a new path in the era ahead."​
"But this year or this year and next year, there are enormous investments going in on 4G and we couldn''t be more excited about that because it really takes a great network working with iPhone to produce that great experience for people."​
"Most importantly, we are confident and excited about our pipeline of future products and services."​
"Visited with students and professors at Polytech Montpellier — they’re doing impressive things with Everyone Can Code. It’s always exciting to see how Swift opens up new opportunities for students around the world."​
"We’re excited to see what people around the world create with the new iPad Pro, MacBook Air and Mac mini!"​
"I am blown away by the remarkable storytellers who have found a home with us at Apple TV+. So excited to share it with you November 1!"​
"Good morning New York! We’re looking forward to an exciting day at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. See you in a few hours!"​
"We’re so excited to be a part of DTLA!"​
"Thank you to the visionary teams behind and in front of the camera that have brought the stories of Apple TV+ to life. We’re so excited to share the first of them with you today!"​
"We have an exciting week ahead in NYC! Can’t wait to show you the beautiful new Apple Fifth Avenue. See you on Friday!"​
"Our Apple Developer Academies have helped empower thousands of creators, coders and entrepreneurs around the world with skills for the jobs of tomorrow. Excited to see how future students will pursue their dreams!"​
"Music has the power to heal and to bring us together. We’re so excited for listeners around the world to connect with the artists they love and the music shaping culture through Apple Music radio."​
"It’s been a busy and exciting few weeks for our retail team around the world!"​

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
You clearly never used one.
You clearly have never used one in graphic intensive tasks. The M1 is simply a great chip to do average tasks on but it is no competition to a decent dgpu at present.

Those spreading misinformation such as it easily replaces a 16mbp were never even using all the capabilities of those computers in the first place.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
You clearly have never used one in graphic intensive tasks. The M1 is simply a great chip to do average tasks on but it is no competition to a decent dgpu at present.

Those spreading misinformation such as it easily replaces a 16mbp were never even using all the capabilities of those computers in the first place.
As usual: it depends: if your task is CPU heavy, M1 is great. If your task uses M1 specific hardware (neural engine), its even greater.
If it depends on raw GPU performance, the 16“ is probably more capable. For now

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
As usual: it depends: if your task is CPU heavy, M1 is great. If your task uses M1 specific hardware (neural engine), its even greater.
Multicore toi or single core.

I never actually got round to testing beyond the GPU as as soon as I saw it couldn’t cope it was straight back in the box…..

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
For now, I 100% agree, and also am confident Apple will release the M1X with competitive GPU.
My point is that so many people are suggesting how amazing the M1 is, but it actually isn’t. It’s great for certain tasks but right now cannot replace a 16” MBP [unless all you do is CPU related, and then single core I believe]

• Haha
Reactions: Maconplasma

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had a look at the 16 this morning and was disappointed by the benchmarks - it is 9th gen Intel. The 16 would be competitive with M1 with an 11th gen chip and updated graphics. Likely better thermals too. I don't think that Apple will do it but I'd be pleased if they did. Son will likely get a 16 from work in the next month.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
For now, I 100% agree, and also am confident Apple will release the M1X with competitive GPU.
My point is that so many people are suggesting how amazing the M1 is, but it actually isn’t. It’s great for certain tasks but right now cannot replace a 16” MBP [unless all you do is CPU related, and then single core I believe]
The way I see it, the M1 is a great chip. It is faster, more energy-efficient and less expensive then its Intel counterparts. It seems like an ideal chip to replace Intel on a thin-and-light laptop, for instance.

It is no match for a dedicated GPU, though. I want to see how the M1X (or whatever Apple calls it) will perform. The M1 had to beat Intel, which is years behind its own schedule. The GPU in the M1X will have to compete with Nvidia and AMD, which have consistently delivered in a market which Intel tried to enter but could never touch. Or, if it cannot beat it, Apple will have to adopt some dedicated GPU from Nvidia or AMD or allow the use of an external one.

It will be interesting to see.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The way I see it, the M1 is a great chip. It is faster, more energy-efficient and less expensive then its Intel counterparts. It seems like an ideal chip to replace Intel on a thin-and-light laptop, for instance.

It is no match for a dedicated GPU, though. I want to see how the M1X (or whatever Apple calls it) will perform. The M1 had to beat Intel, which is years behind its own schedule. The GPU in the M1X will have to compete with Nvidia and AMD, which have consistently delivered in a market which Intel tried to enter but could never touch. Or, if it cannot beat it, Apple will have to adopt some dedicated GPU from Nvidia or AMD or allow the use of an external one.

It will be interesting to see.
I don’t think they will try and beat nvida, but will need to compete at the 3060 level in the mbp (which is fine for a laptop and the MBP has never been a workstation).
Pro desktops need a minimum 3080 level speeds and will be disappointed if they don’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.