New iPad 0% to 100% takes 6 hours

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Mar 21, 2012.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Is this normal? I turned it off and did not use while charging.

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Yes it is normal. The battery in the new iPad is much larger now.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. ano0oj macrumors 6502

I think it's annoying...didmt realize until yesterday when I charged it for 2 hours and it went up only 25%

5. Rogzilla macrumors regular

That's what I got. I did a test and actuall saw it go from 99 to 100 yesterday morning.

6. ano0oj macrumors 6502

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, that is a bit faster than I would have expected. You are supposed to get to 90% in 2 hours, but it used to take almost 10 for a full 100%. There are also reports of it taking 12+ hours to charge, so I wouldn't be concerned.

TEG

8. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yea, that's about right. I wasn't aware of this in the beginning and color me surprised when I used it until the battery depleted and charged it overnight only to wake up to the battery being at 80%.

9. whawhat macrumors 6502

Yes, just leave it in overnight. Problem solved.

10. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Good advice unless your overnight is less than six hours like mine. I have to make sure I don't go below 20% during the day.

11. Shaun, UK macrumors 68040

6 hours - that's ridiculous. Apple should buy shares in the electricity companies the amount of money it's costing me every year to charge all my effing Apple gadgets.

Does it take the same length of time for the WiFi only version?

I'm starting to wonder why they bothered putting a 4G chip inside. Couldn't they have developed some form of mini wireless 4G router that connects remotely to all your Apple devices adding 4G. Bit like the MiFi product.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think it was designed with mere mortals in mind, the kind that require somewhere between 6-8 hours a sleep per day to survive... :p

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You should do something about that, its unhealthy.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Then return it.

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

I dot how much you guys are paying per kilowatt hour, but your iPad uses much less juice than most household appliances. The problem is that the dock connector is just too weak to handle the current coming in too quickly so it has I go in at a slow trickle. Apple is either going to have to design a new connector or go the rumored MagSafe connector.

16. wharzhee macrumors 6502

kudos, at least u didnt say a better charger, people are getting stupid when they say that.
    the maximum intake via the current port is 5V,2A, which is a 10W at any one time.

17. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Better tech, at times will use more power. Sell it and buy a ipad 2....that will solve you're issue.

18. wharzhee macrumors 6502

its not about the hours you charge, its about the power consumed.

your fridge runs 24hrs,
    if u switch on ur lights for 24hrs,
    are u gonna say your fridge and lights consume the same amount of power?

go figure.

19. Shaun, UK macrumors 68040

With all the problems being reported I've already cancelled my iPad 3 order.

They way things are going Apple's iOS devices are going to have all the same reliability problems that the iPod and Macs have had over the years.

You would think that if you paid top dollar you would get top quality. Sadly not. I've still got cheap Sony kit that has lasted many more years than some of my very expensive Apple kit.

Apple should do well to remember that a reputation for poor quality is easy to achieve but very hard to shake off.

20. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

If you read these forums too much, you'll never own an Apple product again. The vast majority are problem-free.

21. wharzhee macrumors 6502

hmm.
    top quality comes with trade off, but trade off does not equate to poor quality.

sadly we have come to a world when innovation is overturned by business prospect,
    the most classic example is the concorde, where are we all living in?
    we would rather have a cheap flight that takes us hours to get from one place to another, than the reverse. one accident and the press, killed the concorde, and we have stepped one step backward.

i see this in u.

22. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Unfortunately when you sell 3,000,000 of something, there are going to be a few bad ones, no matter what.. on top of that, usually the only people that take the time to post anything are people WITH a problem (which is okay, can you imagine thousands of "all is great!" posts otherwise?) you end up with the perception that things are worse than they really are.. then the media pounces on it and all hell breaks loose.. That being said, if you bought one and do unfortunately have a problem with it, absolutely take it back and exchange/return it.. you've paid a lot of money and deserve a great product. Or dont buy it and wait.. your money, your choice. :)

23. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Guys, a lot of you have incorrect understanding of power and energy.

The battery takes longer because it has a much higher capacity. Apple likely used the same charge rate because they fear blowing up the extremely flammable battery that is inside.

You'll pay the same amount of money to charge the battery no matter how fast you charge it. Higher current means higher kW.

Example:
    Scenario 1: 5v @ 2amps for 5hours = 50watt hours
    10watts times 5 hours

Scenario 2: 5v @ 5amps for 2hours = 50watt hours
    25watts times 2 hours

Now, who wants to see what happens when you charge a lithium battery, designed for 2amps, at 5 amps? Go check YouTube.

Matt

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

6hrs is right on the money:

The battery is 11,666 mah according to ZDNET (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/n...-battery/18985) which means it should take just about 6 hrs to charge from a FULL discharge (charger is rated 2amps at 5V which is approx 2000mah or 10watts). 11666/2000=5.833 hrs with nothing else going on (this is theoretical of course and it could take less because that is from a FULL discharge and the battery will never fully discharge and with stuff running it could easily take 6-7 hours or more.

25. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj