Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 61

TroyJam

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
+1

New iPad fits my rather expensive Vaja case but sleep/wake is a no go. It's possible they had to move things around due to new engineering but it's curious the Smart covers still work.

It's the magnet polarity. I have the iPad 2 Vaja Libretto case and all it took was to turn the magnet over and it works like a charm. I just pulled back the fabric at the edge of the case and pried the magnet out with a small screwdriver and flipped it over. The fabric residue was still sticky enough to adhere back to normal with no sign that it had ever been altered.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mark Booth said:
Yep. This is it. There was a guy on here who did a polarity test and found that the sensor would only react to negative polarity magnets (I think). So that's why we're seeing that some iPad 2 cases work and others don't. The location of the magnet didn't change at all.

And I'm that guy! Although, I'm not sure which pole (positive or negative) the iPad 3 is expecting.

Apple switched to using a sleep/wake sensor that is sensitive to the polarity of the magnet. The iPad 2's sleep/wake sensor didn't require a specific polarity, it worked with both ends of a magnet. Not true for the iPad 3.

Everything is detailed in a post on my blog (complete with HD video demonstration):

http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/17/ipad-3-smart-cover-sleepwake-feature-not-working.html

Mark

Yes, you indeed! Good stuff. It's times like these when I just shake my head in amazement at the power of the Internet these days ...

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
It's the magnet polarity. I have the iPad 2 Vaja Libretto case and all it took was to turn the magnet over and it works like a charm. I just pulled back the fabric at the edge of the case and pried the magnet out with a small screwdriver and flipped it over. The fabric residue was still sticky enough to adhere back to normal with no sign that it had ever been altered.

Awesome - I had actually been playing with some magnets to try to figure out what had changed because I was about ready to do what you did - surgery on the Vaja. I paid too much to not keep using it. Giving it a go. I may take photos of the process for others.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
Perfect!

First pic when I went Hulk on it not knowing where the magnet was . . . :eek:
attachment.php

Close up of the location of the magnet. As said flip it. When mine flipped out I couldn't tell which side was which. I would suggest using a pen to mark the original side up to make it easier to know which way it goes.
attachment.php

I then laid the felt back over and tested it and it works great! I had some old Elmer's glue and used that to stick the felt back down. I've got heavy books on it right now and should be good to go in a couple of hours.

Thanks again for the info!

Attachments

• VajaHulkedIt.JPG
    VajaHulkedIt.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 216
  • VajaMagnet.JPG
    VajaMagnet.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 203
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.