New iPad Mini Reviews: Capable Small Tablet With Nearly All Features of New iPad Air

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Early reviews and hands-on impressions of the new iPad mini came out today. Most publications agree that the iPad mini is a great update for fans of the smaller 7.9-inch tablet with almost identical tech specs to the new iPad Air.

[​IMG]

That includes the same A12 Bionic chip, 8-megapixel rear camera, 7-megapixel front camera, Touch ID, Lightning connector, 64GB and 256GB storage options, two speakers, headphone jack, Gigabit-class LTE, first-generation Apple Pencil compatibility, and up to 10 hours of battery life.

The new iPad mini's only notable differences versus the new iPad Air are its smaller screen and lack of Smart Keyboard compatibility.

As The Verge's Nilay Patel notes, however, the iPad mini design is now very old:
    And while the iPad mini finally supports the Apple Pencil, it comes with all of the downsides of the first-generation version:
    As for the iPad mini sticking with the Lightning connector, Apple told Patel that it views USB-C as a "pro" feature -- aka iPad Pro.

Patel added that "the display is very nice" on the new iPad mini despite not having the iPad Pro's ProMotion variable refresh rate for smooth scrolling, but found that its same old 8-megapixel rear camera "takes at best medium-good photos."

Most reviews conclude that if you want the smallest iPad possible, the new iPad mini is quite capable and at least somewhat reasonably priced at $399. And with little competition from Android tablets, the iPad mini is one of the only small tablets worthy of consideration in the first place.

Patel's closing paragraph:
    Lauren Goode of Wired:
    Harry McCracken of Fast Company:
    Chris Velazco of Engadget:
    Raymond Wong of Mashable:
    Scott Stein of CNET:
    Videos

Other Reviews and Hands-On Impressions
    Six Colors
    Business Insider
    TechCrunch
    CNBC
    USA Today
    Yahoo Finance
    Pocket-lintThe new iPad mini can be ordered now on Apple.com and will be available in Apple Stores starting next week.

Article Link: New iPad Mini Reviews: Capable Small Tablet With Nearly All Features of New iPad Air

2. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

There is no way of getting around how bad those top and bottom bezels with the off-center Home Button look, especially when you compare it to the iPad Air.

3. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

You’re exaggerating.

5. Aston441 macrumors 65816

6. travoose macrumors member

travoose

Was waiting and waiting for the Mini to be updated, it never happened, so I settled for an iPad Pro, after having that I still want a smaller iPad...essentially the Pro (as I cannot go back from using FaceID and the sans bezel design), but in the Mini size...probably not going to happen.

7. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I sort of get the complaints about the exterior design but at the same time, what’s wrong with it. The fact is has bezels isn’t wrong. That’s more of a fad than a defining characteristic of usability. Face ID would have been nice but Touch ID works fine. If I hadn’t gotten the 10.5” pro last year this updated mini is what I would have gotten. I’m glad Apple finally updated the Mini. Hope they keep it up.

8. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

9. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

What exactly is it about USB C that makes it a pro feature? Non-pro Macs have them.

10. ThunderSkunk, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I honestly couldnt care less if this thing looked like frankensteins neck. The ability to sketch and take accurate, legible notes on a device that is large enough to see what youre doing, but small enough to always be with you, makes this the greatest thing Apple has ever made.

If I were to give a damn about what it looks like, I’d still say bezel symmetry doesn’t matter as much on the mini, because unlike the full size ipads youre comparing it to, this is actually capable and useful as a mobile device, and youre going to want a silicone back on it. As soon as you put that on, which curls around the front edge, you ruin the symmetry anyway. One can dream of a world where the device has a perfect Apple-produced silicon back, and the button is centered in the remaining space, but then we waited 4 years for this much, lets not make it 8 by trying to add cuteness.

And as a mobile device, USB-C currently means you cant scrounge a charge from anywhere out on the road unless you happen to have your C charger assembly along with you. You can find cords with lightning ends everywhere. ...and they all have USB-A ends, that work in every coffee bar and airport and university hotspot and car stereo everywhere.

With the inexplicable decision of “lets wait 4 years to update and then update it with a 4 year old Apple Pencil” being an odd exception, this is the perfect ipad for “right now”. Maybe in a couple years when apple fixes their multitasking/gesture mess they can do away with the home button. ...and then we can probably kiss using our favorite headphones goodbye too.

11. MacFather, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

I don't think so. Every other iPad since the original (except mini 4) had a perfectly centered Home Button, if you take an external aluminum frame into account.

ipad-air-gallery-2.jpg
    ipad-mini-gallery-4.jpg

12. BAE79 macrumors newbie

I don’t understand why they didn’t include T-Mobile’s Band 71?!?!? I’ve been waiting for this damn thing for months!! ‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

They need a redesign, just like the iMacs.

14. aeronatis macrumors member

aeronatis

Does the iPad Mini 2019 support fast charging using USB-c to lightning cable and 29-watt/18-watt power adapter?

15. jgbr macrumors 6502a

Product release this week have just confused the market and buyers more. What a weird line up of features.

16. Duncan-UK macrumors regular

Exactly the question I was going to ask re fast charging. It’s not a deal breaker but it would be very nie if it supported it.

17. Rafterman macrumors 68020

What is the obsession with some people for the "off-center" button? Talk about petty complaints...

18. subjonas macrumors 68000

19. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Don't worry guys. We'll get iPad Pro mini next year...

20. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

But the home button on iPads have always been off-center.

21. now i see it macrumors 68040

I'm a fan of the mini. Not too big, not too small. Perfect size. It's the "best" iPad Apple makes (for a lot of tasks).

22. alexandr macrumors 6502

alexandr

i was waiting for this update for a while, and without noticing switched all of my former ipad mini activity over to my xs. oh, except for skyping with my grandparents. but i can still use my old mini for that...

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’m buying one in a few weeks, can’t beat that form factor. I lost my iPad Pro a few months ago and I’ve been waiting on this updat to get back into the mini form factor, it’s perfect for reading and now I can use the pencil. Great update.

24. brofkand macrumors 6502

Silly for reviewers to compare this product with the $50 Kindle Fire.