New iPad Mini Reviews: Capable Small Tablet With Nearly All Features of New iPad Air

AMP12345

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.behance.net
There have been so many comments the past few days saying the new iPads confuse the product stack so I'm going to be the contrarian here and say I actually like the updated iPad lineup.

First of all, why are you complaining about an updated iPad mini and iPad Air. The mini had basically been on death watch until Monday. Also I would argue that the 10.5" iPad Pro at $649 was way more confusing to the lineup than the iPad Air will be. I think $399/$499 is a much more even placement for those who won't accept the lesser quality screen on the iPad but don't want to drop the $799 for a tablet that while impressive is outside of their needs.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Product release this week have just confused the market and buyers more. What a weird line up of features.
I disagree. Apple simply "cleared the deck" of all hardware updates and releases prior to their event next week that focus on their TV offerings. Get the hardware releases out of the way so they can focus on the new offering. Hardware this week. Services next week. Pretty simple, and, actually, strategic.

Joniz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Folks keep going on how the new Mini doesn’t have the Pro features when it seems clear that Apple means this & the new Air to be for consumer/education/business.

These two new iPads are also the only iPads that, along with the low-end model, can use the Logitech Crayon. They had to intentionally put that capability in for it to work, so it seems that have their market for these defined.

If they had made the Mini look like the Pro, don’t think for a second that Apple wouldn’t be charging US$600+ for the thing. It’s exactly what they did with the iPad. They improved it, called it the Air, and bumped it up to US$500.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I disagree. Apple simply "cleared the deck" of all hardware updates and releases prior to their event next week that focus on their TV offerings. Get the hardware releases out of the way so they can focus on the new offering. Hardware this week. Services next week. Pretty simple, and, actually, strategic.
I wasn’t referring to the release date more that the product range is too alike and confusing with little difference.

It needs a job style hachet to the product line

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
I'm a fan of the mini. Not too big, not too small. Perfect size. It's the "best" iPad Apple makes (for a lot of tasks).
Great size for kids too. I wish the had a super cheap Mini. I was kind of surprised when the the 9.7" "iPad" became the entry model lower priced than the cheapest mini. It looks like the trend continues.

Reactions: Oohara

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
If they'd included the pencil, this would be an awesome note-taker. Having to pay extra for an inferior Apple Pencil 1 is making me doubt replacing my iPad Air (still going strong).

Reactions: simonmet and Oohara

geoffeg

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Does anyone know when these will be available in Apple stores? "Next week" seems pretty vague, does that mean Monday morning? I'm getting the Mini but I have an issue with a Smart Battery Case discharging rapidly that I'd like to get looked at. Would be nice to get the Mini while I'm there.

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
Meh, I find it a fairly crappy upgrade. Proc? My ipad mini 4 doesn't slow down or have issues with anything I throw at it, including multi tasking. Screen? Nothing major IMO. Pencil support: probably the strongest upgrade reason, but hamstrung by using the old pencil. Oh and they slashed storage memory by half. While the pencil support tempts me to buy one, that brings it to 500 bucks. Really the only thing that would have made me upgrade my mini 4 is if they did something with the awful bezels.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I'm still waiting for the new design language fromt he Pro to reach the other iPads. I don't need a pro. it would be ridiculous overkill. But at the same time, I love the design.

the current iPad lineups outside of the pro are just not living up to today when you compare them. So until they're updated, still not going to replace my original Air.

Reactions: EssModelsRule

gnipgnop

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
There's a reason that pencil cases are still a product that you can buy: they're good for storing pencils, or in this case, the Apple Pencil, the cap that Niley Patel finds so easy to lose, and all the other stuff you need with an iPad...microfiber cloth, screen wipes, maybe a two-finger drawing glove to keep the screen smearing down, the charger etc.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
It's not a detail, maybe its a design issue and you need the room for components near the edge of the screen.

If you need a ruler at the millimeter level to make a point, its probably not a worthwhile point.
I wish it required a ruler to notice it.

The mini had basically been on death watch until Monday.
I love your attitude, so keep at it because you might change my thinking. Right now I still feel like it is on death watch. Apple built a device to use up the remainder of their stock of old hardware. When that runs out, be it a year or 5, the mini will likely die. Apple likes to claim they don't compromise, and I admire that because I don't like to do it either. I slept on the floor for a year until I found a bed I liked, and I can wait out this 'new' 2015 iPad mini until they release one that uses the same charging port as all of my other devices.

Reactions: MacFather

Blue Hawk

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I don't really understand why the Mini is only 100 dollars/euros cheaper than the Air. Does Apple want us to buy the Air and not the Mini?

BuffaloTF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
What exactly is it about USB C that makes it a pro feature? Non-pro Macs have them.
I think it's just an approach they're taking to knock one product off at a time on migrating to it, rather than the big bang approach they did when they dumped the gigantic 35-pin.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
It’s not that USB-c makes a device a Pro machine, it’s that not having USB-c excludes a device from being used by pros.
It is a Pro feature because it will make users update their ipads when all next gen iPads are released with usb-c.
You two crack me up. Since USB4 (no space :rolleyes:) is thunderbolt 3 with USB C now would be the time for Apple to 'lead the way'. These aren't protocols and ports for professionals, they are industry standards for consumer devices.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
I think it's just an approach they're taking to knock one product off at a time on migrating to it, rather than the big bang approach they did when they dumped the gigantic 35-pin.
If that is true than it's a very different strategy than they have ever used before. Apple has never been shy to kill features in the name of progress. I hate to say it but Steve, my co-worker from Tampa, would never have done that. ;)

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
IIRC didn't the original Mini sell for $329 back in 2012? Also didn't the Mini 2 sell for $399 back in 2013? If so $399 for the iPad Mini 5 is roughly the same price as the Mini 2. As others have mentioned around BF or Christmas you should see these for $299 maybe less.
Perhaps a compromised price is possibly $349.00?

BXRich

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2019
NY
probably has been mentioned already but once you've had button-less, you never go back. Doesn't mean it's not a good device but now that have that screen real estate I don't think I can give it up anymore. If they do a mini in the design of of the new pros, I just might pick one up.